“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Annecy
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Initially, I was disappointed to be in a room facing the side street instead of the canal, but after hearing about the night-time noise on that side, I was kind of relieved to have the quieter end of the hotel. The room itself was cozy (without being claustrophobic), immaculately clean, and the 2 twin beds were both very comfortable. The shower had good pressure and lots of hot water. The decor is a little outdated, but no more so than many old family hotels on Cape Cod. It did seem that the hotel is secondary to the restaurant (which has ridiculously expensive, rich, gorgeous food), but I never had a problem hailing someone to ask questions when I needed to. The continental breakfast is a little expensive, but the woman who ran it was super-friendly, so it ended up being a nice treat to practice my French and ask her questions before I headed out for the day. I would love to go back to Annecy, and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank lilyofforce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Room was largish & lovely & clean, bed comfy. We paid a bit extra & had a room overlooking the canal, it did make it a little noisy at night because the restaurant & walkway was directly underneath & we had to keep the windows open, no air-conditioning, but the application of a bottle of wine & a pair of earplugs solved that little problem! We didn't eat in the restaurant as it looked too expensive. Breakfast was terrible tho, my advice do not go for the breakfast. It consisted of 1 cup of coffee, 1 glass of orange juice, 1 croissant & a bit of bread with little pots of jam for 8 Euros! The other budget hotels we stayed at made an attempt at a small buffet where you could at least get a selection of cereals. They obviously save all their effort for the restaurant as there was never anyone on reception & you had to hunt someone down. Saying that tho it was a buget price, ideally placed in the centre, opposite a car park (Sante Clare) which they paid for overnights (we found out by accident they never told us until we were leaving) & good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Janette P
Southeast PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We got the triple room on the 4th floor. The room was spacious and had a balcony overlooking the canal with a phenomenal view. I believe it is the only room they have with a balcony. The beds were decent and the room was a good size, but could use some updating, as the carpet was a little shabby as were the bathroom walls, though the room was clean. The room was equipped with a queen-size bed with end-tables, and a couch-bed and a desk and TV table. I was also surprised to find it also had a small full kitchen room, with a stove and refrigerator, and cabinets with plates, glassware, silverware and pots and pans. The shower was a handheld thing without a full enclosure so it took some real effort to keep the water in the tub. Obviously many people have the same trouble as the plaster on the wall was water-damaged. I don't understand why the hotel would not want to fix the wall and add a fuller enclosure, and pehaps a shower mount, as they are going to have more damage to the walls and floor (and ceiling below) if they don't fix it. As others have mentioned the bathroom has a curtain but no door, which didn't bother us, but is a bit odd. One of the bed reading lights was burned out but they replaced it when I notifed them the next day. The reception staff seem to take very little interest in the hotel guests, and they speak very little English so it was hard to learn anything about things like parking. Eventually I learned that they do offer a ticket you can use daily to get a discount at the nearby parking garage, which winds up costing about 10 Euro per day after the discount, if I recall correctly. The restaurant is their main thing, and you have to navigate the restaurant obstacles while they are getting it ready for the various meal shifts. The doors are locked after midnight so I did not feel free to go in and out after hours should I have decided to wander in the middle of the night. Maybe they have an all-night doorbell but I never tested their system. The restaurant looked pretty decent but expensive; we would probably have eaten there if the staff had acted a little more kindly towards us. But I really liked the room and the view, and the price was reasonable. I'd recommend the place if you want a good room and a nice view, especially if you speak good French, but don't expect deluxe conditions or 4-star treatment.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor room with the balcony
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed in the room right at the top of the stairs. The room is very nice and tastefully decorated. However, there is no door to the bathroom - there is only a curtain and even that does not go all the way to the floor. Since the toilet is situated right behind the curtain (you can actually see the person's feet when they are sitting on the loo!), it doesn't leave much to the imagination! It's a shame as the room is super clean, the staff are lovely and the location is perfect, but for me, I felt very uncomfortable having no privacy with the lack of door.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business