“Good hotel, great location in Annecy”

Hotel du Palais de l'Isle
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Annecy
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was my first time in Annecy, and I loved it! The city is very picturesque and, by European standards, not at all crowded. The hotel is very well located in the old town area and, as the name indicates, right next to the Palais de l'Isle. I arrived by taxi from the railway station, and the taxi driver had no difficulty getting to the front door of the hotel; similarly, when I left I booked a taxi the night before, as advised by the hotel receptionist, and it was waiting right outside the front door.

The hotel seems to be spread across two or three old buildings, which can make the walk from the lift to your room a slightly meandering experience, particularly as the lights in the hallways are movement-actuated, but I found it very easy to negotiate, and it became second nature very quickly. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

My room was big and very comfortable and, with windows on two sides, had great views of the canal and the Palaias de l'Isle. The bathroom was small but worked well. A good continental breakfast was included in the room rate.

I spent three nights there, and would have been very happy to stay longer. Very good value.

Room Tip: I was in room 302, with great views on two sides of the canal and the Palais de l'Isle.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Palais de l'Isle

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Even a good GPS couldn't figure it out. The trick is to NOT try to drive to the hotel, there is an hydraulic barrier near the canal which must be dropped after you buzz the police, but they may not answer. It's an easy walk from parking especially with roller bags. So, find the hotel de ville (town hall) on the main drag near the head of the lake and canal. Look for lots of flags. Park at the hotel de ville public parking lot, it's below ground level and secure. Walk across the street and bear left toward the canal. Go to the second cobblestone bridge and turn left over it. The hotel will be just ahead on your right past two restaurants that are part of the same building. The name can be seen high on the building as you cross the bridge. Even if you have to walk it twice to bring bags, it is still worth the effort. Once you get there you are in a nice snug hotel in a great location. (Ask for a parking voucher which will lower the parking rate.)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bal734
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday gift for my partner and I had found the photos of it rather romantic. When we arrived (around 1 p.m.) the reception was deserted. After ringing several times, an ice-maiden attendant arrived, her mouth full of the sandwich she was still holding and unlocked the door, chewing. Demonstrating visible irritation at the other clients coming to collect their luggage while answering the phone and ignoring us, she unsmilingly finally took our names. Unlike in other structures, she offered no touristic information or brochures. I'd taken the deluxe room - costing Euros 130.-- per night, as a view of the canal was included. We in fact had two small windows on it (one on top of a restaurant- we could smell the frying oil in our 3rd floor room if we kept it open), a very minimal and tiny room with an equally small shower room. The corridors were a maze and very very noisy - we could hear every movement around! Returning that night, our tv disconnected! When we mentioned POLITELY the next day, she [the same person] answered in a very rude tone that it was a "recurring problem" and that we should have called the night audit as "that's what he's paid for" - her exact words. For check-out we were given the non-negiotiable time of 11h30 as if we were asking for a special favor (our night had been shortened by an hour due to DST)! NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: Don't! Even the priciest room was a total let-down. Our good humor and patience, not to mention...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SophieT68
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great little cozy place, very romantic in the middle of some very small streets where cars are not allowed. There´s also a street fair that takes place in the hotel area where they sell regional fruits, vegetables, hams and of course, cheeses. The city of Annecy is known as the franch Venice, because of the many small rivers that cut the city and all the old constructions around them. There is also a very big and beatiful lake too. Too bad I was traveling for work and not with my wife, but I´m comming back with her for sure.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Palais de l'Isle reminds me of my first travels in Europe in the 70's: neat old building located in the middle of the older, picturesque part of the city; various levels of hallways, turns, steps leading to rooms tucked into every corner. Quintessentially French! The elevator will hold one person and one suitcase but the spiral staircase is so neat - it is worth the hike up and down. The hotel is a bit tired; the location is great, the staff helpful but if you book this place - ask for directions to reach it on foot - you cannot drive to it!

Room Tip: Our window opened over the small street behind and with the window open, the were too many revelers...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My family and I stayed here and we thought it was a great choice. The rooms can be small for US standards but they are quite pleasant. Hotel is right in the middle of old part of town. It is about 10 minutes to train and bus station, an easy walk even with luggage. The view of the canals and the old city is quite enjoyable. There is an active local population. There was a sort of run, search treasure hunting put on by a local running club. It was nice to see adults on a treasure hunt around the old town. We were able to see the activity right out of our window.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank globoterraqueo
Reviewed October 22, 2013

the hotel is located right in the heart of beautiful Annecy and the balconies overlook the canal, historic prison and nightlife in the square. very convenient especially if you limited time in this beautiful town. we had a suite and it was very nice and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family