“Poor value and badly organised”
Review of Mobilboard Annecy

and up
Annecy Segway 1h Tour
Ranked #3 of 32 Tours in Annecy
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have been on Segway trip in Austria and were very disappointed in Annecy. Booking process good, friendly. Booked Sunday pm 1.5 hour trip - office opened at 4.00pm as previous trip returned, single person did admin for 15 mins, then brief safety intro, then wait while they took on three extra people who had not booked (this is contrary to their terms which are plastered on the door saying only pre booked on Sunday) - left at 4.35pm and were back exactly 5.30pm so get 55 mins actual riding, and do not visit Chateau which is one of the points made in their blurb selling the 1.5 hour trip. Massively busy in Annecy on Sundays so had to crawl through crowds on many little streets. Several people on trip playing around attempting to fall off their Segways (two succeeded) and the lone leader did not do anything to curb this behaviour - several of us spent time trying to avoid their antics which spoiled the experience.

4  Thank MandM53
MobilboardAnnecy, Gérant at Mobilboard Annecy, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

We are sincerely sorry that you have so bad memories of your Segway tour.
It is the first time that we hear about a such felt. As responsible of the agency, I advance the customer service by privileging the quality and I am really sorry that we were not able to satisfy your expectations.
I know that regrettably your opinion is made and these some words will not erase the bad memories which you kept in mind but I would like to give you some explanations.

1. Delay at start :
We ask to take reservation in advanced on Sundays because we have too many demands on these days. Obviously, if we have availability, we accept additional reservations.
The day of your coming, we had a reservation for 5 persons. 3 persons who had reserved with their works council ********** and you 2.
Thus, I think that your delay was due to the delay of these 3 persons. And that’s why The Guide was trying to call them. But we are sorry if we forgot to explain you the situation.
Not to penalize you, The Guide preferred to begin your safety session before the arrival of 3 other persons. About the safety instructions, we specify on our leaflet that all our tours include a handling of approximately 10 minutes.
On the other hand, it does not excuse the fact that you returned at 5:30 pm. We have not for habit to penalize the persons who arrive on time.

2. Did not visit the Chateau :
We have predefined tours. The 1h30 tour generally includes the passage in the castle of Annecy as well as in the Basilique de la Visitation.
It is specified on our posters that tours may be adjusted according to the animations in the city and to the rhythm of the group.

3. Speed limited :
In France as well as in most of the European countries, Segway is subjected to "pedestrian" regulations.

4. People crash/ fall off
All our tours are supervised and accompanied to secure and reassure. That is why we take 10 minutes at the beginning to give safety instructions and we ask to read the terms of use. We can’t be responsible of the behavior of the rest of the group. If the participants are dangerous for the others, my employees have the instruction to stop Segway of dangerous persons. The Guide works on the agency for soon one year. She used to supervise groups, I trained her during 4 months.

5. I understand completely that if you were not able to take advantage of your 1h30 tour as it was planned, you are disappointed. It would have been sensible to announce it to us at the end of your tour to find a solution as quickly as possible.
I suggest to offer you a gift card for 2 persons that you can use till the end of 2014. By hoping that you will come back to Annecy in the 2 years or that you wish to share it friends.

Best regards,

"woods"
"paths"
"scenery"

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We booked a 90 Minute Guided Tour of Annecy based on the wonderful experience we had doing a Segway tour in Paris a few years ago. My expectation was that it would provide a fun way to see the city, to get our bearings and be able to identify key landmarks and understand a little about their history. The Annecy tour was advertised as "One of the most amazing ways to discover one of the region's most stunning cities".

Our experience with Mobilboard Segway was therefore a huge disappointment. Our guide made no effort to provide any information about Annecy or anything that we passed. When the group paused for a photo opportunity I asked the guide what a nearby building was he advised that it was the casino, but that was it, no supplementary information was provided. Now I wasn't expecting a detailed, nor continuous commentary, but I did expect to receive some information about the main attractions and sights in the beautiful city.

The Segways themselves were speed limited, so much slower than what I had experienced in the past. And to put "slow" into perspective, small children riding bikes with stabilisers overtook us. Whether the speed limiting is due to French or local legislation, or even Mobilboard's own preference I'm not sure, the office manager simply explained during our initiation that the speed had been limited. The effect of the limiting was that when leaning forward to accelerate the Segway, it would reach a certain point and then automatically upright itself, thus curtailing this speed. In addition to finding this frustrating, I also found it slightly disconcerting as the Segway was no longer acting in the way that it had been designed to do. It certainly reduced the fun factor of riding a Segway considerably.

The route of the "tour" itself was also a let down. We literally went around one side of the lake, then re-traced our route and returned to the office.

So in balance, if feels misleading to call it a "guided tour" when that's not what's provided - there's no input from the guides and you don't really go anywhere.

If you've never had the opportunity to ride a Segway and have time to kill in Annecy, then this could still be a worthwhile activity, but just bear in mind that the experience may differ considerably from what's advertised. Also remember that not all Segway Tour experiences are the same, in some cities, different companies are providing a vastly superior experience.

2  Thank JayCeeMonKee

We are sincerely sorry that you have so bad memories of your Segway tour.

When I opened the Segway’s agency, all tours were scripted. In fact, I stopped in various places to explain and tell the historical side. But, I have seen that people prefer to ride rather than listening history of Annecy. The Segway was new, few people knew about this machine. Therefore, there were more interested by the machine than by the history of the city.
Therefore, I decided to adapt the Segway’s tours for the client’s demand by deleting the historical breaks. But, the Segway’s agencies are opened for two years and today there are about forty agencies in France. So, the Segway is becoming more accessible.
Thanks to your feedback, we decided to create a new offer: now, you can visit the old Annecy with a guide that tells you the history of Annecy. The guide introduces you to the city and the historical places.
You saw “Imperial Palace”, where there is the Casino. It’s a luxury hotel and restaurant. But, there is not a real history about this building. We know that few celebrities came to this hotel, but that’s all.
Regarding to the speed limit, in France as well as in most of the European countries, we are considered pedestrians. So, Segway is subjected to “pedestrian” regulations. French law stipulates that we must ride to 6km/h but the Council of Annecy accepts 10km/h.
Moreover, if we want to continue to move freely, we must respect the law. Indeed, in case of non-respect, we may be restricted in terms of speed or in our Segway’s tours.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2012

What better way to find your bearings in beautiful town of Lake Anncy than gliding on two wheels c/o Segway. Julie, franchisee owner of Annecy's Segway experience proved a patient tutor as we developed our Segway skills. After 15 minutes we had found our Segway legs and were gliding off on a circuit which took in the town and the lake.

Segway keeps children and teenagers amused, where more traditional on foot sightseeing might not. We would highly recommend this Segway experience.

1  Thank catherinehenderson
Reviewed August 22, 2011

On our third day in Annecy, my friend and I did a 30 minute tour for €15. Max, our guide, was a charming tour leader and took us along the lake and into the town. By this stage of our holiday we were well acquainted with the layout of the town and lake, hence we chose the 30 minute tour simply to try out riding a Segway. I would recommend making a Segway tour one of the first things you do in Annecy as the 1 hour tour (or indeed one of the longer tours available) would be a great way to learn your way around the town. Max was also great at recommending restaurants!

3  Thank Bevcakes