“Service started well, then?”

Restaurant l'Ecuelle
Ranked #11 of 166 Restaurants in Aix-les-Bains
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2013

An early dinner, so no other dinners. We ordered snails as a starter to share which were very good, followed by a Raclette (for two). To start with the waiter was great, very affable, until 3/4 of the way through the meal when we asked if we could possibly have then cheese to take home as we had only eaten half of it. The portion served was large, I would say enough for 4, even without a starter. And there is only so much melted cheese and boiled potato you can eat.
So at this point the attitude became quite neutral, and even though it's a waiters job to sell, I thought he could have possibly explained how much food actually came with the Raclette. It was a waste of food and in essence fairly expensive.
Buyer beware!
So once again, what could have been a pleasant experience was a little tainted.

1  Thank Oliver D

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I were undecided about which restaurant to choose and we settled on L ' Ecuelle. We were not disappointed. The waiter was very attentive and the food delicious. We had ravioli and soup for entree which were both tasty. The grilled salmon and the scallops in sauce for mains with the potato au gratin was absolutely divine. We also had a salad which although lovely and fresh we could have done without due to the big portion sizes of the mains. This accompanied by a bottle of local Chardonnay made for a pleasant and memorable night. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

It was such a nice dinner! A friendly waiter, food appeared very shortly after the order and boy, was it good! Real big gambas, made with lots of garlic&parsley, mouth watering! The waiter recommended a white wine that went perfectly with it and we finished with tiramisu - with raspberries - delicious.
Will definitely eat there again when in Aix.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I went there with my wife for a romantic dinner and the longer our dinner lastet the more disappointed we became. From the very beginning, the waiter would be neutral at best; I think we didn't get a smile during the whole evening. The food didn't make up for the lack of friendlyness. The plates were full and the ingredients of decent quality, but there was no imagination what so ever. The mixed salad for example was just that: a mixture of different ingredients, no vinaigrette to make it special, no serious attempt to arrange it in a pleasant way, etc. For our main courses (one meat, one fish), it was the same: there was nothing original about them. Up till then, I would have given an average rating. And then at the end, the owner approached the table and said "I need to move your table for another group." and already he was moving the table around before the sentence was finished. He didn't ask "Would you mind if I move your table for another group?" or something and waited for an answer. He simply did his thing and it was obvious that he didn't care at all what we, his customers, might think about it. I have rarely been treated with so much disrespect by a restaurant owner.

1  Thank seidelbast
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Wow, the food here is amazing and well priced.

Set menu is good, or go for a hot stone or Fondue they are all really good.

Staff friendly but it is a very busy place so book in advance.