“Great day out!”

Telepherique du Mont Faron
Ranked #2 of 87 things to do in Toulon
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Take bus 40 from Toulon - go on Cable Car to the top of the mountain - take some drink and a picnic if you wish.
You could spend the whole day there - wonderful walks and views!

2  Thank williawebb
There are newer reviews for Telepherique du Mont Faron

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Its a lovely view once you're at the top but there isn't much to do. There is a zoo but its actually a small wild cat breeding sanctuary. There is a place you can eat but when we went they have run out of food. Be careful when going on a sunday as there are only two buses back from the mountain for the whole day!

4  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I really enjoyed going up Mont Faron in the cable car. The wait for a car can be long, but the car itself is very fast. I lucked out on my way down and was the only one in the car so I got to take all the pictures I wanted. I definitely suggest buying your ticket from the Office of Tourism which is located just off the Avenue de la Replublique. It's only 6 euros and it allows you to use all the buses, bus boats and the cable car for free for the day. Telepherique du Mont Faron is easy to get to by bus 40. I didn't go to the zoo up top becuase of the reivews and the fact that I don't support zoos that don't provide proper environments for thier animals. I just have lunch at the restuarant at the top right when you get off the car. It was really good and the view is great. The only reason I am not giving this a 5/5 is because there is a fortress at the very top and it would have the most amazing views, but for some reason it is closed to the public.

7  Thank Katelyn P
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A great experience for the kids that are fascinated by going up in the cable car. At the top the visit to the zoo is great.

1  Thank LoulouNice
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Toulon was our first stop on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Unfortunately, our port visit was on a Sunday when most businesses were closed. My wife and I walked through the town. The downtown area was quiet, with most businesses closed and few people out. I thought about taking the train to Marseille but there wasn't enough time. In scanning the mountain surrounding the town, I saw a tram descending down a mountain. My wife and I headed in the direction where I thought the tram terminal might be. We crossed the railroad tracks and I asked a lady waiting to cross the street for directions to the tram. She didn't speak English and I didn't speak French so I showed her the picture of the tram on the tourist map. She kind of shrugged which I took as "follow me." We walked through a park past a basketball court, people picnicking and children playing. She stopped and pointed "that a way." My wife and walked in the direction she indicated and we came across a sign indicating the direction to the tram. It was warm as we walked up a hill, passing a hospital and what looked like a military reservation. We spotted the tram again as it descended and continued to walk. Upon arriving at the terminal, we met a small group of four young adults who were from the same cruise ship. They too had navigated by watching the tram.

We purchased our tickets which were very reasonable at 7 Euro/adult. The tram wasn't very large. Might be able to squeeze in 20 adults if everyone held their breath, but there was no problem with only 6 passengers aboard. It was an older tram that appeared in good condition painted a bright red. For some travelers it might have been very exciting, but having skied many years and ridden trams and chair lifts, it was good reliable transportation. As the car ascended, it passed over many larger homes, some of which had swimming pools. The houses disappeared as the tram made its way up the mountain. There appeared to be some hiking trails headed down the mountain. Given adequate time and a good map, it would have made a good hike to return to town.

At the upper tram terminal, there is a small restaurant on the main level with restrooms on the lower floor. If you exit the building, you will see a sign directing you to the zoo. The restaurant appeared to have a decent selection of coffee, food, drinks, and ice cream. My wife and I chose to enjoy our drink outside on the balcony where there were about a half dozen tables. The view from there stretched forever, made up of a mixture of residential and business areas, the harbor, the bay, and the ocean. I could even see our boat docked at a pier on the far side of the bay. It was only here and in the mountains below us that were spared from any sort of development. We took our time to enjoy the cool breeze and the view of the town below us.

We took the tram down and enjoyed the view as it slowly disappeared. After arriving at the lower tram terminal, we followed the same path we had taken earlier. It took us about 35 minutes to reach the harbor where we caught the shuttle boat to return to our ship. If we had walked directly from the harbor to the tram terminal, I imagine that it would have taken 45 minutes to an hour to get there.

The walk up to the tram was enjoyable, even though we had to stop occasionally to catch our breath. It was well worth the effort to enjoy a view where you can see forever. Maybe, next time we will take the bus.

11  Thank Fromak