“Terrific place to stay”

Le Mas Des Carassins Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrific place to stay”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a wonderful place to stay. The room we rented was spacious. the food was memorable and eating outside in their garden in the spring was absolutely lovely. This was one of our favorite places that we have ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Howard M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
MadinLee
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Almost made mistake of going to Avigion or Arles.....big, crowed cities. St Remy has history, artists, and so many nice shops in a charming setting. St Remy has car access to all the key sites with the amazing town of La Baux (pronounced La Bow) just a few miles away: we walked a nearby street where VanGough painted 10 of his more famous pictures. The people could not have been friendlier. The hotel was a few blocks away from the shops and had beautiful gardens, great rooms with private patios, helpful staff, and unforgetable 5 course dinners (in the package with dinner & breakfast). You cannot go wrong!
Carl and Madeline Wesley, Durham, NH

Room Tip: Value packages in late Oct/Nov...weather ok
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MadinLee
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I drove to the South of France 2 days ahead of my family and 2 friends, so that we could use my car for our week's holiday. The first night I stayed in a Novotel at Marseille that was overpriced and underquality for the price. This prompted me to look for somewhere else for the second night.

A look on Expedia turned up the Mas Des Carassins and a look at the reviews made me think that, for the price they were asking, it was a good deal. I wasn't disappointed, in fact I was delighted.

The room was well appointed, with a small hallway leading to the bedroom, bathroom and separate toilet. I was still pretty exhausted after my long drive down from near London, so I spent the afternoon lounging in the room, enjoying the sunshine streaming in through the window.

The evening meal was superb. They serve a fixed price set menu that is incredibly good value. Each course was of a very high standard that was definitely in excess of the €31 it cost.

I was so impressed with the meal that, on the evening I returned my family and friends to the airport, we went as a group and dined there again. The food was at the same very high standard, including a child's menu that, rather than serving up nuggets et frites, was a reflection of the meal that the adults were eating.

I will definitely stay and eat at the Mas Des Carassins again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shizzling
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We loved staying here. The grounds are beautiful, fountains everywhere and well landscaped. Geographically, the hotel is about an hour from Gordes, Baux, Roussillon, Isle-sur-la-sorgue, etc. Our room was on the ground floor of a building a short distance from the main building, which has the dining room. It is relatively new. I suggest staying on an upper floor if staying in this building because the views will be much nicer. The real calling card of Mas des Carassins are the dinners they serve. It's a four-course meal and it is excellent. Perfectly prepared and the presentation is memorable. I'm not a foodie in general but I became one while I was there. The service is excellent, too. Kudos to the chef and to the waitpeople, who obviously take great pride in what they are doing! Breakfasts were more than adequate, with pastries, cereal and hot food.

Room Tip: Stay on an upper floor for the views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MicheleF473
Essex
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Le Mas Des Carassins is an excellent small hotel. We stayed there for nine days in September in an annexe suite with balcony which overlooked the gardens and was south facing. It was spacious and very clean. A very adequate buffet breakfast was served that could be taken into the beautiful gardens or eaten inside. We didn't find time to take an evening meal there but all tables were occupied every night so they must been good. The staff were very helpful when I sprained my ankle, suppling cream from their first aid kit and, although we hadn't booked an evening meal that night, assured us that the chef would be able to sort something out for us as I was unable to walk.
The Mas is an eleven minute stroll to the delightful old town of St. Remy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights and it is a perfect location for visiting Provence - we had a car. The grounds are exquisite. Our room was very comfortable - main house - and always cleaned well. The food was so good we ate there 3 of 4 nights. We corked, then left a third of a bottle of wine on our table one night. It appeared 2 nights later when we ate there again. Felt so spoiled and well cared for that we told Pierre and Michel that we were staying. We were serious - they laughed. Everyone so very helpful. Very thoughtful touches.
Linda and Joel [Berezny] Zuieback

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Yonkers,NY
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I was expecting a wonderful stay at the Mas based on TA reviews. The grounds yes are quite beautiful with two pools and lovely flowers and trees. But our room was a major disappointment! When I travel, the room plays an important role in how I feel about the trip. Our room was in the main house - a dreary room, with no charm whatsoever. The corduroy bedspread was old and dirty. The room could have been a motel 6.The bathroom showed real signs of age and had no room for toiletries. I had emailed and requested a recently renovated room. I was told all the rooms were recently renovated. Really? Not in this century! We had dinner there twice and the food was just OK. The location just outside of St Remy was convenient and the town is charming. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends or care to return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcm21mk
pticot1, Propriétaire at Le Mas Des Carassins Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
What a surprise to read such a review
I have personnally welcome these guests who have reserved not directly with us but with a travel agent online
Welcome drink cold towels organisation of their 3 days stay in term of sightseing, help with luggages thank you to mention average service!!!!
the room concerned was Balandet with old charm of 19th century mas totally renewed of course as all our rooms
No mentioned any time during their stay about the room, if the room was sort of a problem we would have proposed an alternive solution
All our rooms are different and for all tastes
The bed cover brand new from 2010 from "blanc d'Ivoire" very famous deco shop in paris in bordeaux colour new trend in soft velvet material
Dirty they said!!! our bed cover are systematically controlled when new guets arrived and clean if necessary
Bathroom : one of our most lovely bathroom with old marble on walls, sink of belle epoque
inspiration and old stones walls to complete the atmosphere
Comparing this room to a motel 6 is a real stupidity !!!!
these guests certainly were not aware of the quality of the products they have around them
Diner
If the food was just ok, why these guests have diner here 2 times during their stay*
Moreover , they have compliment the chef on the first day!!!
The readers can take experience for all othe comments of the quality of the dishes served at le mas des carassins table d'Yvan restaurant
IN conclusion a review full of contradictions reported by these guests
who dont have at any time during their stay express a request