All reviews plane trees main building manor house old trees corner room st remy breakfast and dinner three nights gorgeous grounds king bed rooms are large look no further location is ideal home base wonderful stay exploring provence nice pool
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

Stayed at the Chateau des Alpilles for two nights this visit. As usual the room was delightful, as was the restaurant food, and service.

Thanks to Celine's help with our room reservation. And Merci to Jean Pierre and his serving staff, and the kitchen for preparing such great meals. There is nothing quite as relaxing as sitting outdoors at night under the stars and Plane trees, enjoying a fantastic French meal and rose wine. It makes me smile just thinking about it!

Merci Chateau DA. Until we return again.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderers G and L
Reviewed September 1, 2016

Chateau des Alpilles is simply one of the most stunning places in the world let alone Provence. Incredible food, amazing service all in surrounds that are just breath taking. Smart but relaxed CDA is an absolute credit to the owners and staff that have made the very most of this beautiful property.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank GB768
Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

We were up for a family trip to Provence with our little girl as we wanted to show her the French approach on the 'dolce far niente' as only the French understand it in terms of effortless sophistication and elegance. Château des Alpilles is the absolute paradigm of all this.

I have lived in France in the past and I soon understood their singularity around the Mediterranean. We have either lived or visited almost every Mediterranean country by now and this is because we worship mediterranean way of life. It's cuisine. Its light....But I must say I come from Spain with -yes- all its 'joie de vivre' but also with all its brutal noise and its shouting voices wherever one goes. It often becomes tiring and irritating. We need to get away from this from time to time to gather strenght for the next bit. France is our favorite destination to achieve so. First thing you realize about Southern France's understanding of splendour is its calmed and silent luxe without stridency. Without craving to be noticed. So relieving.

I summon all these impressions about France because they are reflected to perfection at Château des Alpilles. Starting with its fantastic location very close to Saint Remy but far enough to make you feel isolated from the mundane racket in the midst of an unbelievable garden. I am no botanical expert but it is my guess that this garden must be the outcome of no less than a century of delicate cares. Its huge trees from various species, its flowers, its bushes randomly arranged but only in appearance...Its harmony flows as a whole and so do the guest's children like ours or even some other guest's well-behaved dogs. Anyone -down to their pets- is necessarily at ease in such a context. It seems impossible not to.

Every detail at the Châteaux des Alpilles breaths delicacy and savoir-faire. Not a single thing is random or casual but at the same time everything seems effortless. All thanks to a well-lubricated team orchestrated by a maître d'hôtel so accurate that you would think he was Swiss-made. If I had to define what Le Château des Alpilles meant to us in few words I would say it was the catering equivalent to relishing a flute of Krug Clos D'Ambonnay 1998. If you know what I mean.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank duchesse_80
Reviewed August 4, 2016

A lunch time splurge to experience this beautiful location, just outside of downtown Saint Remy. Well worth it. Ate by the pool under the "platane" trees a delicious assortment of mussels, fresh salads and delicious cheeses. Would return tomorrow if I could. Service was personal and very attentive.

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank Patrick_Lana
Reviewed July 29, 2016

We stayed at Le Chateau des Alpilles for three nights in June. The location is very good for exploring the Provence region, and is located less than a mile from the town of St. Remy. The property, and the Chateau itself, is beautiful. If you want a gorgeous setting in the country, but walking distance to town, Chateau des Alpilles is a great choice. However, the rooms are not luxurious, and the service, while very pleasant, is just ok. We enjoyed our stay here, but we expected more. There are many five star reviews of this property here, and I can understand how a wonderful trip, and a romantic setting such as this can be intoxicating, but I don't feel the Chateau is up that rating. Our room was on the second floor at the back of the Chateau. The room was comfortable, but needed to be updated. Furniture was an eclectic mix of a few antique pieces, and others from the 1970's or 80's including two black lacquer chairs that you might see in a cafeteria. The room also had heavy, faded drapes which made the room feel stuffy. Again, this is a wonderful property, and I don't want to nit pick, but the rooms need to be updated. Lastly, service was just ok. There was usually only one person working to answer any guest requests or questions. This one person was responsible for check-in/check-out, dining requests, directions, etc. I do wish to point out that the people who worked during our stay were excellent (different people on different days, but still only one at a time). They were clearly very well trained, and very pleasant. But, the fact that there's only one person available means there can be a wait when you want to ask a question, or if you need something. We didn't mind waiting, but often decided that our question was not that important and went on our way. That's not great service. Great service is having a few people working, and having someone ask, "where are you off to today?" and then provide some suggestions or offer directions. Overall, this is a wonderful property, in a very good location, but not five star.

Date of stay: June 2016