“This is France!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great food, nice outdoor dinning and an eclectic owner.

We were staying in St. Remy for a week as part of our two-year around-the-world expedition and enjoyed several of the local restaurants. We came across Lezards purely by chance and were drawn in by the crowd (it was packed) and funky decor.

I am not fluent in French, but I do respect that I am visiting a country that does not speak english as its official language. As a result, I have an app on my phone that I use to help translate the menu and I make every effort to order in French, greet the servers in French and ask for additional service in French - they appreciate the effort. The same applied at Lezards and the owner came over to say hello and ask if we had any questions (he spoke perfect english). We made our order and THEN - the monster (and very raw) burgers were served to the table next to us. I had to try one and asked to change my order to the burger (I had been eating traditional French food all week and something different sounded fun). The owner graciously accommodated my change and even warned the burger was raw.

We enjoyed a bottle of wonderful Rose and chatted with the patrons next to us. The food arrived and was excellent. My burger was a monster and I barely finished half. My wife enjoyed an asian fusion dish.

Here is a little travel tip for my fellow Americans: When you are visiting another country, make an effort to learn their language, if even just a few simple phrases. Say hello in French, thank them in French. Apologize for not speaking French and ask them if they speak English (this is a simple phrase to learn and will do wonders). You will be amazed at how much less 'impolite', 'rude' and full of 'attitude' the French will seem after you make an attempt to speak their language. You are a guest in their country, act accordingly. The 'ugly american' traveller is often deserved, but doesn't have to be.

Oh, and for a little aperitif, they brought out these incredible olives in a garlic and fennel sauce. I would fly all the way back to France just for that alone - maybe I will.

1  Thank expeditionswest

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We happened into this restaurant by chance, and hadn't read the reviews until after our lunch. Have to agree, the "head guy" has an attitude! He did not want to bring us a glass of house white..., but brought an impressive, unusually presented wine list - nothing by the glass. Then, when I said, in French, that we only wanted a glass of white wine, he brought it! What's with all that?! I will say, our meals were excellent - could not have been better - and the very funky decor was fun to look at during lunch. There were cartons piled all around the restaurant, which was odd. We had asparagus cannelini, crab spring rolls, and tempura-style fried cod and vegetable "balls", preceded by deliciously-brined, herbed green olives. Our waitress (his wife? Don't know) was very pleasent. Would we return? I don't know!

2  Thank TNGranny
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Yes, the owner is a little "special" , but the food is great, and quite unusual for provence. Good selection of wines as well.

1  Thank MrTaitti
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The ambiance was very nice, thats why we choosed the restaurant. But the owner is very arrogant and became more and more unfriendly and impolite during our stay! We didn't feel welcome at all. The food was ok, the filet de porc quite nice. The vine too was very nice - they didn't show us, the label, but said it was from corsica. One glass is 7 euro, whichis expensive. We made it a short stay and regretted, that we didnt check the tripadvisor first!

1  Thank Dfr324q
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My husband and I had been staying in Saint Remy for the last weekend of our wonderful journey around Provence and was about to fly home on Monday 20th September. We had a lovely meal at the L'Estagnol on the Saturday night and on strolling around the town after this meal came across Le Cafe du Lezzard which looked buzzing with a great atmosphere. It was late by this time and when we asked the owner if we could just have a drink he snapped that there was a bar next door and that he was only a restaurant. We didn't think much of it and in actual fact really enjoyed the bar next door which was very atmospheric and contemporary. However, on the Sunday night we decided to try Le Cafe du Lezzard as it had looked so nice.
Saint Remy on a Sunday night is very quiet and quite a few restaurants are in fact closed. It was a fair walk from our hotel but we wanted somewhere special and romantic for our last night and this place seamed to fit the bill. We approached the restaurant and walked across the small garden terrace (which had just one other couple eating there) and was about to walk inside the restaurant when the entrance was barred by the owner and his wife/partner. He told us we couldn't eat inside only outside. We informed him that we would prefer to eat inside as the atmosphere was very warm and welcoming - it was quite cold outside as it was becoming quite autumnal in the evenings - and we had also been very badly bitten by mosquitos a few nights earlier in Nice whilst eating outside. He shouted at us that this wasn't possible and almost pushed my husband into the terrace area. We reluctantly decided to go with this and walked to a table which looked ok. There was plenty of choice as only one other table was occupied. We were just about to sit down when the wife/partner came over and said we couldn't sit there(again very rudely) and showed us to the table next to the other couple with about six inches between the two tables. Hardly the romantic last night meal we had anticipated! By this time my husband had had enough, got hold of my hand and we exited this establishment. We are very widely travelled and have eaten out at some of the best restaurants in the world but we have never come across anyone who treats their clientel in this way. We have had poor service and poor food before but could not believe this man's arrogance. He only had two diners at this time and lost out on our check of about 100 Euros which we spent at another very good restaurant in Saint Remy where we were greeted with a smile.

5  Thank lollhill