“Awful..police called!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth
“Awful..police called!”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Looked inviting but the food was poor to inedible and my husband declined to pay for his so they called the police..who came after about 15 mins and were sympathetic ..'it's a tourist restaurant
Which they obviously knew was bad..but said we had to pay anyway..which we did.
We had the 16euro menu...starters were ok but uninspired..prawns- just a few laid out on a plate with some rose marie sauce and lettuce well past it's sell by date. Mixed charcuterie bland and with the dead lettuce.
My main 'moules frites'...the moules were shrivelled and dry but edible.
My husband had the boeuf ..thin beef steak..which was inedible..he ended up with a plate of chewed gristly meat .
The couple on the next table had the same and said theirs was similarly bad..but they paid up anyway.
When we eventually complained (no effort to ask if everything was ok) they shrugged and said everyone else's was ok....hence the police!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank antrobus

Fareham
“Welcoming, good food, good service”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Located in what is barely more than an alleyway, they operate on both sides of the “road”. There is no passing traffic or passing pedestrians and it is a lovely little sun trap. They have shades too.

The service was extremely helpful and friendly, the food was excellent with a great choice including vegetarian dishes for my wife. We were given complimentary coffees at the end of the meal.

Excellent value for food and wine. We will definitely return on future trips.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Lipizzaners
PortlandMaine
“Quite the "find"”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

It was billed as a pizzeria up an ally that looked inviting but many would probably not venture into!! We did and found a great secret in the town. The food was wonderful, priced reasonably and the presentation was excellent. There is a pizza area on one side of the ally, then this small dining room area on the other. I'm so glad we took the stroll!!!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank MartiHawkins
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad attitude”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My daughter ordered a salad for lunch and told the waitress that she did not want any cheese on it. It came with cheese and she informed the waitress who admitted made a mistake and replaced it. However the replacement had still bits of cheese and as my daughter has a cheese allergy she could not eat it. The chef was presented and very loudly in front of all other diners protested that there was no cheese in the salad.My wife and I and daughter thought their attitude bad and no apology and was charged the full price of the salad she could not eat

1 Thank Shocksgalway
Vancouver, BC
“Wow”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We wandered around town and loved the looks of place over all of the others. We made our way back at about 8pm and sat in the one of the three inside sections-there are three inside sections that surround and alley-like road with the alley filled with little tables under and awning lit with candles. We had the set menu for 14euros, the choices all sounded amazing and made it difficult to choose, opting for one appetizer and one entree only. There was one waitress and one waiter which at first made us second guess our restaurant choice, however, by staying we were rewarded with fantastic food. My mum had the fish soup which appeared with garlic pistou, croutons and grater parm. I am not sure if amazing is a strong enough word for how delicious this was but it will have to do! I had the vegetable tartare with chopped veggies and it was so simple yet perfectly executed that you felt as if you were I a 5 star restaurant not an alley bistro on an un-named street. From our mains we had sliced leg of lamb with a garlic cream (think tzatsiki. but better) and mussels arrabiata. We had a beautiful bottle of Rasteau and in total our bill was 50euros. They had a spanish live band playing made up of a father and two sons which although only played two songs all nigh adde to the atmosphere. All in all this dinner was fantastic and our pre.viols dinner had been at s micheline starred restaurant! Eat here and you will not be disappointed!!