“A St. Remy gem in a gem of a town!”

L'Aile ou la Cuisse
Reserve with
L'Aile ou la Cuisse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

St.-Remy-de-Provence is a special place to visit for a long weekend or more. It's one of the loveliest towns in the South of France. It also has some gastronomic gems, including L'Aile ou la Cuisse. The room is small but tastefully decorated. Service is friendly but slow as it appears as though there are but two service staff, one of whom, I believe, is the manager. This is dining in the classic sense: nothing is rushed and everything is prepared carefully and as you requested. Well , almost; I ordered a pork special medium well. It arrived rare; I sent it back. It came back equally rare. However, much to my surprise and pleasure, my meal came back re-plated, with a fresh serving of vegetables and starch. My son had the sea bass, his wife ordered the poulet and everyone agreed that this was first class dining. Order desert when you arrive; they are spectacular and go fast so be warned. You can't go wrong with the wine; this is France, after all. A lovely room, attentive, albeit slow service, good food, fine wine and outstanding desserts. Expensive but worth of your euro for sure.

1  Thank Frank C
There are newer reviews for L'Aile ou la Cuisse

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My friend and I ventured into this establishment one sunny Autumn day. We requested a table in the courtyard and were squeezed onto a table very near our neighbours. It's a French thing I think. We ordered from the plat de jour menu and were not disappointed. The best steak I've had forever! The desserts a speciality. The clientele consisted mostly of well to do locals, hence the rather 'stiff' service. But all in all a very nice lunch.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great food, attentive service, and good ambiance too. One to recommend at a reasonable price. And you get to choose your dessert from the patisserie cabinet....do it before you order to avoid disappointment!

1  Thank Juleps
Reviewed October 8, 2012

One of Saint Remy’s better places and certainly recommended. The desserts are very special but so is the food. The service is slow because they have just 2 people (including the manager) serving but the excellent food makes up for it.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had dinner here on two of my three nights in St. Remy. They have a great marketing ploy of putting their dessert display case in the front window. The desserts really are beautiful and were enough reason for us to choose here for dinner. (They were also mentioned in Rick Steves.) I did a sampler my first night and you should beware of the square chocolate one. I love chocolate but I was glad I only got a sample. It is very rich and two people might have a hard time finishing it. They have other chocolate items so you should be able to get your fix if chocolate is your thing. Just proceed with caution on the big square. My second night's dessert was a light custard pastry, which was excellent. (The sampler was as well, including the chocolate.)
My meals were great though the whole chicken roasted with vegetables was incredibly good. The sauce was phenomenal. The second night I had the duck, which was okay, but I probably wouldn't order it again. It can't compare to the chicken. A beef stew-type dish looked interesting as well. The starter of salad with mussels was very good and I'm generally not a mussel guy. They seemed to be marinated in something that gave them a nice tang.
Our waiter spoke very little English, but the owner and manager were pretty good and could translate everything. There is no English version of the menu so bring your dictionary or be prepared to ask for help. I ate indoors on the first night and outdoor on the second and both were nice. There wasn't much difference in ambiance, but if gun at head, I'd probably do outdoor. I think my cost both nights was around $45 US Dollars. I had one glass of wine each night and tap water. I'm 6'6" (admittedly thin) but I came away feeling satisfied with no need to snack later. : )