“gcc42110”

Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Salon-de-Provence
Reviewed June 8, 2013

One other wonderful experience. We stayed one night at the Abbaye with a small group of friends, 16 all together. We had a very warm welcome, our luggage were distributed in each respective room while we were having an aperitif, the rooms were well appointed, large bed , soft linen, robe, sleepers, lovely shampoo, soap and lotion in the luxurious bath room.

We had an excellent dinner expertly prepared and served in the old Chapel.

From checking in to checking out we had noting but praises for this beautiful hotel with a vue over the patrouille de France base ( the Blues Angels equivalent) which on a previous visit was practicing, what a thrill !!!!!

This hotel has an excellent location, close to Les Baux de Provence, Arles, Aix en Provence and other cities deserving a visit while in that region.

I certainly would return and recommend it to any one traveling in Provence.

Room Tip: I do believe you can not be disappointed regardless of which room you will choose
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GCC-12
Céline M, Directeur général at Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Host,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the Abbey. I am pleased that you did appreciate the atmosphere, the rooms and the view of the Abbey.

The all team and I were very happy to welcome you and your friends at the Abbey. I will also mention your pleasant appreciations on the diner in the old chapel to our chef.

Céline Marié

Reviewed April 21, 2013

There for a meeting week. Extremely charming place above Salon de provence. Excellent food. Given the price level i was not happy with wifi performance, it disconnected continuously, therefor only 4 points from me.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The place is absolutely unique and it's difficult not to fall in love with it! It appears to have been a medieval abbey, built approximately in 12th century. Time hadn't spared the place and by the end of the second World War it was lying in ruins. A family of enthusiasts purchased the grounds and took pains to carry out a full scale restoration work. The result is incredible! On the walls of the chapel there are hanging pictures of the abbey before the restoration.
It might be Relais&Chateaux property, but the very idea of the place means you won't find brand new facilities or even elevator in here. You pay for the history, ambience and stunning view. The view is absolutely fantastic! The abbey is perched up on the hill about 5 km from the center of Salon-de-Provence (we drove by the satnav). I think in clear weather you might even see Marseille or the sea. It least it feels like that.
We had an overnight stay in St Renaud room for 275 euro, which, I have to admit, was a bit too pricey considering the smallish size of the room. However, the room was charming, homely and the bed was comfortable. As to the service it left us quite satisfied. There were two members of the staff on duty and we got every help we needed. Some complain about the havoc in the baggage handling, but that is the common problem in Provence.
We had a fabulous a la carte dinner in the in-house restaurant, which cost us only 112 euro.

Room Tip: I would not recommend rooms in the courtyard with separate entrance
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Céline M, Directeur général at Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Elena,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the Abbey. I am pleased that you appreciated the atmosphere, the charm and the view of the Abbey. I will also mention your pleasant appreciations on the diner to our chef and the staff.

Céline Marié

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights Sept. 21-24. We had made a reservation for a superior room but were quite pleased to be upgraded to a suite with two terraces. The furnishings were very simple, although much more luxurious than they were in the 12th century when the place was built. The setting is beautiful, hugging a hill overlooking an expansive landscape.

We selected this property because it was a Relais & Chateaux operation and conveniently located near Arles, Avignon, les Baux, and the Luberon. We were very pleased with the public areas and enjoyed walking the grounds.

The Abbaye is a bit isolated, so we ended up dining all three nights there. We ate in the main restaurant two nights and had great meals and wine, ordering the 48 and 70 euro menus. The squid with black pasta was heavenly; the mullet also was quite memorable. Our experience in the bistro was a mixed bag. My wife really liked the veggie platter, but I was very disappointed in the serving size of my steamed fish and vegetables.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We certainly would come back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicolas C, Responsible for marketing at Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at the Abbey in September. I am pleased that you appreciated the atmosphere, the charm and the view of the Abbey. However, I am disappointed that you didn’t like your steamed fish and I will mention your remarks in our Chef but also your pleasant appreciations of the squid with black pasta and the red mullet.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with our family based on the hotel's website, Relais & Chateaux brand and other ratings. However, we were sorely disappointed with our stay. The views and atmosphere are undoubtedly great, but the whole place needs a serious upgrade if it is to charge the rates it does for a one night stay. Our room looked like it was last refurbished in the early 1990s and, while it was nostalgic to be reminded of interior design from the time, is not what I expect when spending three nights in a 4 star hotel in 2012. For example, in our bathroom the tiles were coming away from the wall, the shower fitting leaked and there was no ventilation.

We were interested to reflect on the reviews of others about the friendly staff. We had to search the property for any member of staff. When we did find one, they seemed shocked to be asked a question. The only time any member of staff did show an interest was to push dinner in the restaurant, which as others note is virtually compulsory anyway given the out of the way location. The front desk was particularly hopeless - we asked for suggestions for places to visit and were told they had no suggestions and it was likely to rain all week anyway.

The pool is not heated - ok perhaps in the height of summer but freezing in mid-September. We also found it was not cleaned regularly.

The food here is over-rated. We tried each of the tasting menus and found to our surprise that the cheapest was actually the best. The chef should note that peppers in olive oil do not go well with chocolate fondant.

Very unchild friendly. This may in part have been related to the continuing vow of silence which appears to be in operation but the hotel was not set up to cater for children and it would be better to be honest and turn down bookings than to pretend otherwise.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the hobbit room near the chapel unless you like the dark.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Simon524
Nicolas C, Chargé de Marketing at Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the Abbey. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. Indeed, it isn’t normal that your room presents many disagreements in your bathroom. The interaction with our staff with regards to yours comments is certainly not typical and you will be sure to the fact does not reproduce. We also rework our suggestions for places to visit. I am disappointed that you didn’t appreciate your dinner and I will mention your remarks to our Chef. I am pleased that you appreciate the atmosphere and the view of the Abbey.

You may also be interested to learn that we had started a full refurbishment of our guest rooms, as well as our lobby and bar. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Salon de Provence again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Salon de Provence and France was most enjoyable.

Bests Regards

Marketing Supervisor
+33 4 90 56 98 56

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at Abbaye de Sainte Croix 9/2012 and LOVED the place. The hotel property is just beautiful in a relaxed upscale country kind of way. Perfect hilltop setting with stunning views of Provence. A converted monastery, the main areas and rooms are attractively furnished in neutrals with lots of antiques spread thru the place. They have 2 choices for dining, Bistro and Dining room. The food was excellent….dining room was pricey as expected…with wine about 100 Euros/pps. Bistro was half that and food was lovely there too. As there were many different common areas to the hotel it never felt crowded. Pool looked pleasant. Though only 5-10 minutes away, it is a bit of a winding drive up hill from Salon de Provence, so the restaurants within the hotel are very convenient at night. The Salon de Provence soap factories in the village were nice to visit and shop. On a Sunday, we toured Isle sur la sorge with its busy market , Gordes, Rousillon and Bonnieux, in one pleasant but full day to return to the hotel in time for cleanup and a cocktail before dinner. if you want to swim by the pool in the late afternoon…skip Bonnieux……:) our only disappointment was that the staff at the hotel seemed VERY unprepared for concierge type questions about the surrounding area. No local maps to give out…etc. As a Relais and Chateaux hotel, I expected them to be more forthcoming with information….maybe a little xeroxed piece on ideas for what to do and see nearby? (like the little soap factories in Salon…) Staff was VERY friendly and pleasant, beds average in comfort for Europe.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the Abbey – particularly concerning the dinner and the staff. I am pleased that you appreciate the atmosphere, the charme and the view of the Abbey. However, I am disappointed that you have not suggestions for places to visit. It is not on our standard procedures and I will be sure to improve this point with the reception.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in August and certainly a beautiful location and peaceful, apart from screaming kids in the pool but then it was August. I did find service sadly lacking here. Having parked you car you have to walk right across restaurant terrace to find reception so there is no greeting. The receptionist went with my wife to sort out bags from the car and my wife ended up carrying 3 herself.. When we left I didn't even ask for help but moved car around to the back entrance and loaded myself.
Food here was disappointing. Setting on the terrace is wonderful looking down over the plateau to Marseille and if you are lucky you will get a free show from the French equivalent of the Red Arrows whose base is just below you. We had the gastronomic menu but thought it was not worth the money as it was all show and Tralala without good quality products. The lamb was 50% fat and the fish was dry and overlooked smothered in sauce. Breakfast here was also very disappointing and basic compared to similar hoels just visited. They need to try much harder despite the recession.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salon-de-Provence
Moulin de Vernegues Chateaux Hotels Collections
#12 of 18 in Salon-de-Provence
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
#1 of 10 in Le Pontet

Been to Garrigae Abbaye de Sainte Croix? Share your experiences!