“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Review of La Grotte

La Grotte
Ranked #350 of 2,208 Restaurants in Marseille
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2013

You get a feeling from the first moment that the owners are always on hand to supervise the functioning of the restaurant, in a way, you're reassured that it will be a good experience, and we were proved right.
This is a restaurant run the old way, in a beautiful setting, the main dining room is like a salon from a faraway bourgeois period, outside there's a nice patio, that with special effect lighting gives a 3 dimensional view that may seem almost resembling a theatre setting of a classic play.

Or waiter, Yassin, was very helpful, welcoming and suggested a seafood starter, of mussels, octupus, cooked in different ways , gratin, fried, fried with herbs and garlic, and steamed, it was excellent, but very filling.

The sole meuniere, the jumbo prawns, with their sides of risotto and sauted vegetables were a revelation, excellent,
The desserts were also good, but not on the same level as the main courses.

They also seem to have very good pizza, from what I saw on neighbouring, although I have not tried it myself.

The prices were a bit steep, the bill for 3 came to around 200 euros, no wine or spirits included. The culprit, I presume, is the fresh seafood which is sold by weight.

Don't let that put you off, you can have a good dinner or lunch here for much less, and its certainly worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for La Grotte

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Exceptional setting and restaurant ambiance with excellent, fresh fish and seafood. Simply the best dorado, mussels and sepia with excellent service in a charming little village: Callelongue. (I live in Naples, Italy where excellent food is a daily aspect. I travel for culture and food and do not render such compliments easily.)

1  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I love La Grotte. First, the scenic drive along the Corniche to get to La Grotte is worth it in itself- to top it off, there's a fabulous restaurant at the end of your trip. The end of the line takes you to a little 'village' (Callelongue) that will make you feel like you are a million miles away from Marseille, even though technically you are still in the city. The atmosphere inside of La Grotte is like that of an upscale Parisien Brasserie, butoutside on the terrace, you can watch fisherman prepare their boats. The food is both refined and casual- you can everything from foie gras and mushroom soup ( A MUST ) to pizza. What I like is that for lunch this place is perfect for family, yet the parents can enjoy a meal with a higher level of sophistication than your typical child-friendly restaurant.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just take the road by the sea, Le Prado beach, then continue up to the end : "Calanques de Callelongue" if you choose a non crowdy day you will reach the end limit of the world.
You will enjoy the land & sea scape, after a walking distance,you will reach the limit where the water meet the ground.
BUT don't forget to stop in "La Grotte" where, in a provencal and romantic atmosphere, you will enjoy a lunch or a dinner, served by kind and warm peoples, outside as well as inside.
I will mention a short life story hapen at this place. It was some months ago and I had 3 hr hours to loose in Marseille wating a flight to China. I decided to take the time to go to Callelongue, it was a sunday 13hr, lot of peoples, cars...such that I was completely stressed to miss my flight. I stopped in La Grotte, the boss allowed me to park my car at the door, he took the order, after 15mn I shared the lunch, with wife and son, a tartar steak, with real french fries and a bottle of Bandol rosé.After the coffee and 1hr I was able to leave and to catch my flight !! So foresure I will come back in better condition , the welcome and the service was unforgetable. Next time I will taste seafood

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Do not expect fine dining... but sometimes a restaurant is worth a visit for more than its cuisine.
Don't get me wrong, La Grotte is good. But I go there maily for Callelongue, a very special place indeed which I like to visit in my infrequent stays in Marseille.
Whilst there I also like to enjoy a lunch or a diner at La Grotte.