“Lovely View - Wonderful Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant Peron

Restaurant Peron
Reserve with
Restaurant Peron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 2,111 Restaurants in Marseille
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Lovely View - Wonderful Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Two weeks ago my partner and I spent our first evening meal in Marseille at Le Peron. It has a wonderful setting being perched on a cliff, overlooking the Ocean... The seating on the terrace is ambient and natural,  with its wonderful views of the sea and it's wood cabin style feel from the teak terrace and tables. For atmosphere I would give this place 5 stars.

The food was pretty good (I had the fillet of beef with shallots and beetroot syrup and potato fondants), though I was a little disappointed with the potato - not quite up to Michelin standard; they were ever so slightly dry.

As for the service, we were nicely greeted at the door and upon checking my name (and the fact I had booked from a UK email address) we were given English menus). This would have been fine, albeit we were given the English speaking waiter whom upon being so priviledged with his impatient, aggressive and invasive manner, I immediately knew he was the infamous arrogant waiter who many others have complained about on Trip Advisor. When my partner and I both ordered the beef, he pulled a face and reprimanded us for not trying the seafood. Having had fish for lunch, we decided we'd both quite like the beef. To cut a long story short he pursuaded my partner to try the King Prawns - which were ok and not quite as amazing as he made out. When it came to ordering the wine, I asked for a recommendation for a full bodied red... (I have been more of an Australian wine drinker up until recently and there were very few of the usual regions you would find in Waitrose, so a little help would have been welcomed.) Instead we were told that the only full bodied red on the list was the most expensive in the house. I asked what it was like and he was unable to tell me anything except that 'of course it is good'. (He was clearly not a Sommelier and had little knowledge of wine). He then said at the top of his voice 'is it he prices you're looking at?' and suggested we try the house wine (which was as expensive as many of the other wines), I asked what it was like to no avail. In the end we went for a Pinot Noir, as it's a grape we both like, being one of the few light wines I'll drink, and apparently the only full bodied wine on the entire list was €64 (& he didn't sell it very well). Upon ordering it he shouted 'oh you wanted a full bodied wine, and now you order a light wine' in the most rude and arrogant manner. Next he interrogated my partner over the type of leaf in the Clam Risotto, repeatedly asking if she knew what kind of leaf it was. She said she didn't know but he just kept asking. From the arrogant and invasive tone he displayed over the evening, I would guess he is quite insecure, bitter and fed up of his job. At one point another waiter quietly said 'Bon Appetit', I didn't hear him and asked him what he had said & mr arrogant jumped in and shouted 'he said enjoy your meal!' as if to imply that we couldn't understand.

The moral of the story is - if you eat at Le Peron, ask for the menu in French (it would have been soooo much easier) then fingers crossed you won't get the aggressive waiter, who seems to want to spoil the beautiful atmosphere with his own insecurities, and interrogate those on holiday.

On the cost - we spent €190 (3 course set menu, €41 bottle of wine + coffee). It is all worth the price just for the lovely setting (if you don't mind having your personal time slightly invaded by an arrogant & insecure waiter)!

Bonne chance et être sain!

1 Thank rcjoy

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Very average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is very average food wise,great view.I can only asume that patrons go for the view, as there are other much better venues such as Le Charles Livon.

• Visited September 2012
Brussels, Belgium
“Great location but the food is over rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I told the waiter that I was vegan, he spoke to the kitchen and he told me that they say they would have arranged something for me. I was there with 1 non vegan friend and we all received a non vegan appetiser, so I sent mine back and they came back with a vegan appetiser for me (black rice and veggies) which was good. Afterwards my friend had a fish soup as a starter which was good, but they brought nothing for me. After that, as a main course my friend got a dish with beef and potatoes (the meat was good but the potatoes nothing special). I had a plate of vegetables, it was very pretty, very well decorated, the taste was ok but again nothing special. About the desserts, my friend had a very pretty one but he was not very happy about it (very nice to look at but no taste). I got 4 different sorbets which I just taste (as I didn't like them) as they tasted as industrial sorbet, and the consistence was a bit slim-ish. The service was kind and professional and the location is 5 stars.

• Visited September 2012
Chicago
“A special treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

A wonderful restaurant. The views are the best in Marseille, especially at sunset. The fixe prix menu is a good value, as the cuisine is divine. Attentive but not overbearing service. All in all a special site for a meal to celebrate a special occasion or treat yourselves.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RueDePassyParis
Paris, France
“A great Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The restaurant is very nice located on the corniche with a beautifull view on the sea
The staff is very friendly. We booked on the terrace but it was raining so we had a nice table inside

Food was great.