“Beautiful Place”
Review of Le Petit Nice

Le Petit Nice
Reserve with
Le Petit Nice is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #183 of 2,346 Restaurants in Marseille
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Description: Le Petit Nice is a long story… a family story! Since 1917, for 3 generations. A first star in 1977, a second in 1981, and the third in 2008. In his 3 Michelin stars restaurant, Gerald Passedat offers a gastronomic dive, leading gradually towards the abyss. Overlooking the sea, facing the horizon, all your senses alive to the sea, in the bright light of this three-star restaurant… It’s more of a family home than a hotel or restaurant. Le Petit Nice is a seaside inn where time has stopped.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went here with my husband on his birthday vacation to the South of France. Absolutely stunning venue with a fabulous view from both the restaurant and the bar. Service was excellent and all the staff could speak English and French. We had the five course sea food tasting menu for lunch with matching wines but had several extra dishes from the chef too which were all stunning. After our lunch we had cocktails in the bar which also has breathe taking views of the sea and their own gardens. We were very impressed and would certainly return to sample the other menus

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights, our room was at the front with a terrace overlooking the rocks and the sea with superb views. The staff were friendly and very efficient in every way and all spoke English. We had the 'Fish Menu' which ran to 14 courses and was fabulous food, inventive tastes, attractive presentation, beautiful cooking. The sommeliers were both great fun to discuss wine with and we followed their recommendation for the Mersault. All in all a wonderful way to end our French holiday. Go there !!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

A walk from the old harbor brings you to this nearly impossible place to find - but it is worth it.
The food is refined but not over the top the staff very attentive but not overpowering the view well its almost worth going just for that. Who needs air conditioning when the natural drafts keep the inside cool (ish). A place we would love to revisit for all the above reasons.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The restaurant is truly great. We took the Passedat menu and it shows a great variety of fish. Very tasty and excellent service. Great choice of cheese as well...

1  Thank Sophie_In_Taipei
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Disclaimer: you have to remember to not let yourself be distracted by the wonderful view...otherwise, the view takes over your senses and you just think the food tastes better.

I am a foodie, gourmet, the daughter of an amazing cook, an author of recipe books, too....so I know a little bit about food :)

Setting: excellent. Can't get a better view than this one to complement your food. Remember to ask for a table outside (if weather permits).
HOWEVER: how can a 3 star restaurant let people smoke on their outdoor patio? This ruins the taste of food for their neighboring tables. While the law does allow people to smoke in outdoor patios the restaurant is allowed to forbid smoking on its premises....or just allowing it outside of the patio (and trust me there is plenty of space for that). My meal started with my neighbor's cigarette making me sick for 20 min. I had to go and ask him (nicely :)...he was pissed at me for asking but stopped (while still staring at me...as long as looks don't kill).

Service: excellent with a special "2-thumbs up" for their extremely young though extremely knowledgeable wine expert! IMPRESSIVE.

Menu: you need to love seafood. Only one dish with meat. I personally don't care because I love seafood but just in case it is better to be warned.
I selected the Passedat Menu (the lighter version, without the cheese and without the "loup").

Food: everything is good...but...lacking this special twist that takes you to the 3-star level. Apart from their "anemone" dish (very surprising), there is nothing special. Eating a lobster tail (albeit excellent) with cooked veggies is not what I expect from a 3-star place.
Marinated raw fish in soy and yuzu? Coming from California this is standard to me...I am not impressed by a few small pieces of fish marinated in whatever comes from Japan.
Portions are VERY small, borderline ridiculously minuscule (and I am a small person with a small stomach)...the good news is that you won't gain weight here!
Bread is excellent.
The only memorable item, which I still recall after a few days, is their desert (raspberry chocolate "mille feuille". A true moment of happiness and delight. Their mignardises are also very tasty and original.

One last note: The chef kept on coming out of his kitchen but never came to the tables to greet his guests as is often the case in 3-star places.

Price point: about $300 per person with wine.

9  Thank vorsoni