“Best Bouillabaisse in the world”

Restaurant Chez Michel
Ranked #37 of 2,223 Restaurants in Marseille
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Quality of Food: excellent
Location: very nice: close to beach Catalans, but not close to Metro
service: excellent (especially for French standards). Owner is following up personally with all guests
Price: quite expensive (2 people 220 Euro incl 1 bottle of wine) but worth the quality
With whom you should go: high class date, family, quite 'old' - nothing for meeting with friends casually

1  Thank Doreen111-13

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My first time, surprisingly, in Marseille, and I had to find the best bouillabaisse. I'd read an article in "The Guardian" listing Chez Michel among the top 10 restaurants in Marseille, and when we got to town, several local friends, independently, said, hands down, that we'd find IT at Chez Michel.

And, in the words of the Jean Sablon song, "Ah, que c'est bon, La Bouillabaisse!"

We went at lunchtime on a weekday, and the place was relaxed, bright and open. As you enter, there's a boat filled with ice (see accompanying photo), on which there are platters of the fishes (3, if I remember correctly, in the typical bouillabaisse). Behind the boat, on the wall, are photos of dignitaries-- I recognized Maurice Chevalier, Alain Delon, Mireille Darc, and Marcello Mastroianni-- with the late Michel.

Later, once you've ordered, they'll parade the platter of fish in front of you so you can see THE fish that will go into your soup.

Lunchtime, at least, was pretty relaxed and there were some waiters who wore uniforms or suits, while others were in shirt sleeves or even a striped sailor's shirt. We wore street clothes and felt perfectly comfortable.

What I hadn't known before, and about which the host and server were happy to instruct me, was the ritual of eating a proper bouillabaisse. The soup itself is served separately from the fish and vegetables, accompanied by the rouille, and aioli, with a platter of croutons. When the dish was ready, 2 waiters filleted the fish at a table on the side of ours, and served it.

And boy, was this meal good-- hearty and satisfying.

The meal was quite an education and memorable.

For 3 adults, with wine and bottled water, it came to (in October 2013) 266 Euros, which was $360.96.

Expensive, yes, but we will go back the next time we're in Marseille.

3  Thank Godenar
Reviewed September 21, 2013

according to our kind hosts, this was as authentic as it could ever get. truth be told, the decor was a little chintzy so it didn't start off very well for us but we trusted our friends. my last experience with a bouillabaisse was a decade ago and it was horrid to put it politely, bland, a pathetic excuse for a fancy fish soup. THIS however, changed my opinion of the classic fish dish all together!! when done by the experts and these certainly are, it's a gastronomic treat!! trust me, your search is over.

4  Thank smoothjagger
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Away from the crowds, the hectic scenery of the vieux port, this oasis of good food, good service is a very pleasant experience in this hectic city.
the saint pierre was delicious: very simple but the quality if the fish is so outstanding, it doesn't need a lot of other contornos.

2  Thank annuska h
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The restaurant is a little away from the touristic area but is a one star Michelin restaurant worth to have it. The meal was just perfect. We also enjoyed a Meursout wine , the best one I ever had I believe

3  Thank Andre D