“Best Service I have had during my Euro Trip!”
Review of Sylvabelle Hotel

Sylvabelle Hotel
Ranked #121 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights with 2 other friends. The hotel is awesome and the receptionists were very friendly. The rooms are clean, the food is good and the drawing room is cozy. Also, we had made a mistake on our part due to which 40 Euro had been subtracted from our amount to the Hotel's account. All it needed from our end was to mail them back and they refunded it back within a short interval. We were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. This is definitely the best budget hotel I have stayed in during my Euro Trip spanning 21 countries and 25+ hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the 1st floor. The wifi signal is much better there.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with 2 other friends while making a trip around France. Hotel is cheap, and of course, simple! But you get everything you could ask for. Nice rooms, nice bed, all clean, cozy common room and fridge. I don't understand why people expect a spa from every cheap hotel they pay for.
We also had a problem in our booking (a mistake from hostelworld.com), but the receptionist did not take advantage from us because of that. On the contrary, she gave us the cheaper room and cancelled the other booking.
I would stay here again, I love budget hotels and this is a very good one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
desarts, Responsable relations publiques at Sylvabelle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
I am glad you had a fantastic time here in Marseille and I do hope you had a safe journey back home to Glasgow.
We are looking forward to welcome you back.
For the other guests:do not hesitate to come during low season,we offer great deals on our OFFICIAL WEBSITE and the weather is still pretty amazing!

See you soon in sunny Marseille!

Kind regards

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights whilst in Marseille and were very disappointed with the service and overall atmosphere of the place.

The location was pretty good, not to far to walk to the port, although not many cafés, supermarkets or bakeries around. The breakfast was an extra 5 euros per person for two pieces of bread and a croissant. I walked up the street and found a bakery where I bought a baguette, jar of jam and some butter for less than 4 euros; I would recommend doing that instead of wasting the money.

The woman at the reception desk spoke English quite well which was helpful, although it was rare that she would look up from her computer screen or take out her headphones to speak to a guest. They were often smoking out of the kitchen window, which made the whole place smell of cigarette. There were no brochures etc in the lobby area or any information on things to do in the area.

The only positives were the shower pressure in the room (we had the private double so had our own) and the free wifi. We did have a room on the 2nd floor with a window that you could jump out onto the roof which my boyfriend though was awesome, he would sit out there with a drink each night. The bed was also pretty bad, would be great for one person but we would both sink into the middle making it hard to sleep.

I don't think I would stay here again, the place somewhat ruined my expectations of Marseille.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maddy L
desarts, Responsable relations publiques at Sylvabelle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to post my comments regarding this last review that appears unfair to me.

Hotel Sylvabelle is the only 1 star hotel in Marseille.
It is very well located(5 min. walking from the old port) and it is a great value for the city.
We offer simple clean rooms at a very attractive price(with free wi-fi!) and our staff,as mentioned many times on TripAdvisor,is international,easy going and friendly.
However,you cannot expect a 4 star service or facilities,it is simply not possible!
I am very sorry you had a bad experience staying with us but in my opinion, if your expectations were to high,you might have booked the wrong hotel...
Kind regards from sunny Marseille today.

We are looking forward to welcome you!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I'll start off with the good things because it was not completely terrible.. The showers were great, hot water and plenty of it, the rental of a towel was also only 2 euros for the time which was great. The beds are adequate however not comfortable and they have a microwave... On the other side the hostel literally has no facilities other than those mentioned and lockers, advertising itself as a youth hostel then being almost entirely full of people over the age of 30 at least and multiple people who seemed to be over the age of 55. So, if you are looking for a youth hostel do not stay here, it is not a youth hostel despite what you may think. The staff were incredibly rude and not helpful, I would have thought with the complete lack of basic facilities that maybe they would be able to tell you where you could find something such as a laundrette however they could not. The hotel also does not give you a key if you are staying in the dorm, you have to buzz to get in at the front door which would be okay but it also makes it very dangerous considering the dorm rooms do not even have a lock so anyone can walk in there. I am travelling alone however I can imagine that even in a group this would not be a good place to stay, the location is not great and they don't let you come in any later than 1 o'clock so if you do want to have a big night you just can't. To put it simply, this is not a youth hostel and you'd be kidding yourself if you thought it was, by far the worst place I have stayed.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was travelling to France, Marseille from Belgium, Brussels. I informed the hotel that we are going to arrive around 7pm, but due to car problems we arrived only at 2am. I manage to call the hotel, and they were really nice and understand my situation. There were waiting for my arrival.

I booked 2 rooms, each of them were for 4 people. One of the rooms were really small, and the other one was really large. The problem was that they do not have lift, and it was hard to carry all the suitcases upstairs.

We did not order breakfast, as I thought it was a bit too expensive. The other issue was cleaning of the hall which took place for 2 hours, and was interacting our sleep.

We stayed only 1 night in the hotel, but overall we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hidden in a small street just few steps away from a metro line and the Vieux Port, excelent to go exploring old city on foot. Took a bed in dormitory (mixed), shower & toilet separated M/F, bed was clean and comfortable, lockers a bit clumsy. Missed some daylight as the dormitory is located in a ground floor. But it was quiet and OK during the night. Upstairs dining & living room (TV, Internet access), kitchen corner (this could be better organised). WiFi OK. Staff OK. Would go there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
managerMarseille, Public Relations Manager at Sylvabelle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your lovely review!
I do hope you had a safe journey back home to Belgium.
The weather is fantastic in Marseille right now,we are looking forward to welcome you!
Warm regards

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was one of the worst experiences I've had at a hotel. I was staying there for two nights whilst I attended an event in Marseille. On the first day I left for the event, leaving my key at reception as they insist - and which I always do anyway as I don't like having to carry these keys around all day. When I returned in the evening, the key was not at reception. Then followed a long protracted argument with the extremely unhelpful receptionist insisting that I must have lost it myself and that they are expensive keys and I would have to pay for its replacement. As part of this process, he phoned the woman who he said had been the receptionist in the morning (I've no way of knowing if this is true) who apparently told him that I had not left my key at reception and I must have lost it. After further protestations from me, he went on to say it was my word against hers and that I would have to pay for a lost key in order to be able to get in to my room and this would cost 50euros (because apparently these are special expensive keys).

There were other parts to this conversation to do with telling me that the receptionist from the morning said I had been back in the afternoon and this was probably when I had forgotten to hand in my key (I hadn't because I had been at a conference all day) - this was a bit bizarre and didn't really seem to fit in with the original story - but at this point I had to do something to get back in to my room and had to agree to pay this 'lost key' fee. Later, on the way out, he told me that because he didn't know whether it was me or the receptionist that had been telling the truth so he would split the amount between us (25 euros each I presumed). Anyway, when I came to pay my bill the next morning they had put 30euros on and to add to the problem they also charged me the 5euros booking fee which they should have taken off the final bill. So I was 35euros down over all.

I sent an email of complaint to the manager, twice without reply so far and also to the group they are part of - 'Premium Hotels' also without reply.

I would like to believe the best of the hotel and staff - that it was a genuine mistake but afterwards it also struck me that there is another issue - if the key had been stolen from the desk or reception then there was potentially someone wandering around with the key to my room and would obviously be able to get in. This didn't seem to occur to the hotel at all. And what are you supposed to do to stop this happening? Get the receptionist to sign a receipt for the key?

Needless to say it ruined the trip and is not somewhere I would recommend at all - even in spite of the particulars of this case - the way they dealt with it was appalling.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business