“Good value”

New Hotel Of Marseille
Ranked #15 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Wanting a hotel on short notice during a public holiday weekend I tried lastminute.com and picked a 'top secret' option, so you don't know what hotel you are getting until the commitment is made. Anyway turned out to be a good move. Quite a funky hotel in public areas. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was large, but a bit bland, huge bed though and bathroom was nice. I paid GBP94 for a night where other big hotels were asking double that during this particular weekend. Note for those arriving by car, there is secure parking under the hotel (Pharo) but if arriving from the direction of the old port you can't see the entrance to the parking. At the traffic lights 50m past the hotel do a U turn and then you will see the entrance to the parking just to the right of the hotel main entrance. For hotel guests the parking fee is a flat rate of Eur12, whereas the public rate is Eur32 per day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We thank you for your comments, you can also use the New hotel website to book your rooms at the best price. Best regards

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in October 2013. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were spacious and furniture was modern. However, the carbet was bit old and smelly.
Rooms were bit hot specially during the day. Several guests complained against that but the receptionist told us that the manager said that ACs should not be switched on because it is October. After repeated complains they switched on ACs at the end of my stay.
I will never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

We thank you for your comments and we are sorry for this inconvenience. We hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts during your next stay in Marseille. Best regards

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here for a night in late October 2013. Great location, warm welcome, nice service, good rooms. The only problem(and it was a bit of a pain): the room was pretty warm, even with the window open. The hotel (according to reception) had switched the heating on during a cooler period earlier in October. When I was there, (the end of October), Marseille was experiencing an unexpectedly warm period but couldn't switch the heating off. It would have been nice to be told that when I checked in, rather than when I checked out and mentioned it.

I would have given four stars but for this. Having said that, the rest of the service was good enough for me to give the hotel another opportunity next time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the swimming pool side - then you can look over the old port.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Indeed, we always have a good weather in Marseille, we hope to see you again. Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. Best Regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I work in the tourism industry and I really pay attention to many details about services, quality of bedrooms, food ect ... I have to say that all is really excellent for this stay. The staff at any level of the hotels is excellent. Only maybe a little failure for the management of the restaurant but only a little details.
Well done !!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

We thank you for your comments and we hope to see you for your next stay in Marseille. Best regards.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights, and the feeling was not bad but not special also. Nice hotel, nice terrace, nice rooms, very clean. But the athmosphere was rather chilly, the service was good but no special efforts. They do the necessary, but nothing special to feel you at home. (for example we hurried to arrive at the bar at 23.50h, closed normally at 24h, with 12 people, to have a last drink after diner. But we didn't get anything, the bar was allready "totally cleaned and closed" said the waiter. So we went to sleep...). But for a congress or in group a very good hotel and location, you can get at foot to the old port in a 5 minutes walking...

Room Tip: Ask a room at a higher level at the backside of the hotel (not at the terrace)...it's much more...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. We hope to welcome you for your next trip in Marseille. Best regards.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The front desk clerk had checked me in and 10 minutes later, while I was undressed about to take my shower, someone unlocked my door and opened it! I was in shock and was terribly scared. I rushed to put my bathrobe to see who was there and they disapeared. I called the front desk to ask what was going on and they didn't do anything to help. I was really worried since I had locked the door, so I put my clothes back on and went downstairs to see what happened. The staff member told me that there was a mix up with the room and they thought they had checked me into a different room.... The staff member was the one who opened my door witthout even knocking and he knew very well that i had literally just checked in! I felt like his story was total [--].... I immediately felt unsafe and felt like they wanted to steal something from my room. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. They really didn't try to reassure me, it's not safe and I'd choose a different and reknown hotel. It's also ridiculously overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your last stay in our hotel. One of our employees came to your room after your check in. He made a mistake of room number. Be sure that we have long and good trust in our staff. Sorry if you felt unsafe after this. Best regards

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Spent two days in Marseille, travelling by Eurostar from London and then TGV from Lille. Getting to the New Hotel of Marseille was very easy, just took the metro to the Vieux Port and then the bus up to the hotel. Our room was a good size, the bed was comfortable and the view was OK (a back street so it was quiet). We either walked or took the bus to and from the Vieux Port each day, the only slight worry was on our last day when the buses seemed to have forgotten their timetables - but our train hadn't.

The hotel had a likeable, relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff, particularly one young woman who never forgot to tease me about my preference for mint tea. There were good soaps, etc in the bathroom (which was small but still well laid-out) and the mini-bar prices were less painful than in many hotels. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest.
We thank you for your comments and are happy you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Marseille.
Best regards.