New Hotel Of Marseille
Alex Hotel(Marseille)
$112
$107
Travelocity
All reviewsle pharogreat hotelthe bell boyold portvieux portshort walkquirky hotelspecial ratemini barnespresso machineconvenient locationsuperior roomrestaurants and barsnotre dameharbourconciergearty
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, the first thing to bother me was the offering of 2 single beds instead of 1 double. When calling for change, of course there were no rooms with a double bed.
Other than that the stay was pleasant. The hotel is not at the best location in the city, but is 25 minutes from the port and only 5 minutes to a bus stop that reaches the port and further.

Pros: Clean and Quiet, Has a nice pool
Cons: Far from the city, not very high standards

Room Service: Good (5/5)
Reception: Very friendly and helpful (4/5)
Food: Very limited menu (2/5)
Location: Far from the city center, 2 minutes walk to Bus station, and 20 to the restaurants area.

Room (4/5)
- Tea Kit: Offered free of charge
- Safe: Available
- TV: Large Flat Screen
- TV Channels: More than 80 channels
- Iron: Not available in room but can be requested at reception
- Mini Bar: Available

- Transportation: 5 mins to bus station
- Communication: French 100%, English 50%

Eco-Performance: 3/5

Price: ~250 Euros/Double Room

Room Tip: Make sure you get a double bed not twin beds if you want Avoid breakfast in room, they only get you little things
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We appreciate your comments. Thank you so much. We hope to see you for your next stay in Marseilles.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights and chose it because it looked to be a good quality hotel on the vieux port with a swimming pool, and it was a lot cheaper than its nearby competitors. Overall I was fairly happy with it.

The hotel looks and feels very new, and it is extremely clean and fresh throughout, including in the rooms. Our room was great - spacious, modern, comfortable bed, dark at night, quiet and with a view of the pool and port. The bathroom was also great, and I really liked the Marseille soaps they put in there. The aircon in the room was easy to use so you could control room temperature well.

Cleaning staff seemed to do a very good job and were friendly, as did the hotel reception team and the bellboys - very warm welcome and they always said hello when you entered/left the building. The member of staff I was less impressed with was the manager of the bar/restaurant. He seemed incredibly arrogant and I did not approve of the way he spoke to his staff in the restaurant/bar area - he created a bad atmosphere. I don't know if he was trying to seem important, but it was not impressive to customers at all.

The swimming pool/sun deck area was pretty good. Lots of sun loungers, but you need to plan your sunbathing carefully because the sun disappears behind buildings quite a lot so even on a sunny day you'll have hours during the day where there is no sunshine. The water in the pool was also freezing!

The hotel is in a nice location, but if you do want to do a lot of sightseeing in Marseille rather than relax it's probably not the best located - it's 10 minutes' walk to the bottom of the vieux port, but there's not much public transport as an alternative (a bus but no metro here). You can walk to notre dame de la garde though.

My main complaint was the internet. There was free wifi, but it was terrible. It was almost always either broken or so slow you could hardly use it. It took forever to access anything so although it was free it was as if you didn't have internet at all. A hotel of this size needs more than one wifi access.

Overall I was still very happy with the hotel, and enjoyed my stay. I'd probably come back here if it remained a lot cheaper than the Novotel, Radisson etc nearby, but if the prices were similar I'd probably chose those other hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool/port
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vietnamese_Whirl
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

We thank you for time you spent to describe your comments about your last stay in our hotel. We are happy that you enjoy our hotel. About internet, we didn’t wait; we already organize an other wifi access. We hope to see you for your next stay in Marseille.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We enjoyed our one night stay at the New Hotel. The hotel is very stylish and the rooms are modern, clean and great value for money. It is also an easy walk to some great restaurants and the harbour area. We had a friendly busboy show us to our room and who was very informative and obviously enjoyed his job. I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Guest satisfaction is the best award for our services. Thank you, with pleasure to welcome you for your next stay in Marseille.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a good 4 star hotel. The hotel is well maintained, well decorated, staff excellent and good facilities. The swimming pool is a bonus and makes a great area to relax in at the end of the day. Old Port is a 10 minute walk down hill in one direction, the Catalan beach 5 minutes in the other. Hotel is well served by local buses if you do not want to walk.
Restaurant is excellent and reasonably priced (except breakfast which we did not have as it was too expensive). Good wine list..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments. We hope to see you for your next trip in Marseille.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a hectic flight to Marseille (our suitcases did not arrive with the plane) we were welcomed and helped by the staff of the New Hotel of Marseille. One of the bagagistes did everything he could do (af this hour of the evening) to help me get my fluids for my contact lenses, as I had left them in my suitcase!!! So don't forget to have a travel kit with you for your contact lenses!!!

The staff were also very helpful the next day when they made several inquieries about the whereabouts of my suitcase. When they arrived in the evening the holidays could really start.

The next time that I will visit Marseille, I wil certainly book for this hotel. Thanks again for all the trouble and efforts!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends