“Contact lenses!!!”

Ranked #16 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Rijswijk, Holland
“Contact lenses!!!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a hectic flight to Marseille (our suitcases did not arrive with the plane) we were welcomed and helped by the staff of the New Hotel of Marseille. One of the bagagistes did everything he could do (af this hour of the evening) to help me get my fluids for my contact lenses, as I had left them in my suitcase!!! So don't forget to have a travel kit with you for your contact lenses!!!

The staff were also very helpful the next day when they made several inquieries about the whereabouts of my suitcase. When they arrived in the evening the holidays could really start.

The next time that I will visit Marseille, I wil certainly book for this hotel. Thanks again for all the trouble and efforts!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Booked 2 rooms for an overnight stay in Marseille after reviewing comments on Tripadvisor. The hotel was easy to find via the Sat Nav although the current roadworks around the port do make it tricky to get there. Parking was easy - dedicated area Level -4. The check in was straightforward and the busboy (Scandanavian) was very helpful with directions and local information. Location was a little further from the town centre but this wasn't a problem for me as I drove to the main sights. Didn't eat at the hotel as I wanted to try the bouillabaise at a nearby restaurant (Le Calypso) on the beach - a 10 minute walk away. Rooms were a good size with a striking colour scheme. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we hope to see you for your next trip in Marseille.
Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's all in the details and that is not the case here.I was disappointed the first day I had breakfast here, it seemed like the staff could not wait till the breakfast space was liberated so that they could dress the tables for lunch.Basically I refused to have breakfast here since.Not friendly and certainly not attentive.If you happen to be at the pool you have to physically go and order your drink as nobody will come and check to see if there are any orders.The door leading into the pool area is difficult to open and if you want to leave the pool its even more complicated as you have to reach over the door and open it from the reverse side.I don't think this place is meant for people that want holiday but I guess we made that mistake booking here for five days.This would make good place for business people that are just passing by for the night.When you shower the floor becomes a pool as the glass wall on the bathtub is not big enough..pity because the rooms are spacious,clean and nicely furnished.I have to say this place has potential but some of the service staff need training and the overall details need to be refined.

• Stayed August 2012
Effectively, we serve breakfast till 12am, but between 10,30 and 12 you get your breakfast in Bar area or in your room with rooms service. We are sorry if our staff didn't give you good explanations. As you understand we have security doors for children in our swimming pool, not so easy to open. Please accept our apologize if nobody came to take your order. In our 4* service we have to serve you in your place. We hope to see you again for business or leisure.
Paris
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I spent 3 nights in this hotel in Marseille. The location is fine (not in the center but 10/15 mn walk from it) although there is no view of the sea (contrary to the Novotel and the Sofitel across the street). The building is recent and pretty. The average room is big enough. The design and colours are trendy and the bathroom accessories (soap etc) are great.

I found the service poor: the reception told me on arrival that they had debited my card twice. They proposed with the money paid in extra to 1. "upgrade" me to a suite (there's no upgrade when you pay for it!), I said no. 2. to put the money on my note at the hotel so I could "eat for free" (it's not free when you pay for it), I said no. 3. to recredit my credit card. I said yes. That was a week ago and the money has not hit my account yet. I find the whole thing quite cheap for a 4 star hotel.

Also, but that's minor, I stayed for 15 mn on the terrace waiting for a waiter to take my order.

Room Tip: Odd numbers have a view of the swimming pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
We thank you again for your comments. Effectively, we receive two bookings from internet site, it's the raison we debited your credit card twice. The receptioniste has to recredit your credit card immediately. I'm very sorry about the wrong proposal you get. We hope to see you again for your next stay in Marseille. It will be pleasure to introduice myself to welcome you.
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 20, 2012

New Hotel of Marseille is one of your definite alternatives to stay in Marseille. Its clean, comfortable and "New" :) But it is a little far from Port, where you would go when you are out. Also the car parking fee of 12€ / day could be lesser..
A note: The soaps in the bathroom smell very nice and you may want to buy them from the center before returning from Marseille!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you, hope to see you next time in the Newhotel Of Marseille.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2012

just got back from a week here last night (so believe this review over people who stayed 1 night!), loved the hotel, definitely one of the nicest that i have ever stayed in.
staff were polite and helpful and the rooms very modern and clean. slick and a bit boutiquey at times, from the rubber fish bone soap dish to the crazy original art in the corridors and crazy red and blue lighting.

even the toiletries are provided by Marseille's top soap shop, the creatively named 'Savon de Marseille'. Each day we had 2 soaps, body milk, shampoo and shower gels. i visited the shop in le Panier distric and each retail for 2euros a piece so very good stuff.
pool was clean and a nice escape in the city. had no problems with the main road as some other reviews mention, but obviously can only comment from my experience.

free wifi in the rooms is very good and strong connections, obviously you have limited tv channels but 20+ should suffice.

didnt use the bar or restaurant by all admissions; restaurant looked smart at the poolside and prices werent too steep but 9euros for a pint of heineken is megabucks to a Welshman living in 'the binge drinking capital of the UK', although not much higher than the marseille average i guess. to save money we bought baguettes in nearby bakerys and visited Monoprix on La Carnebiere a few times for Kronenbourg (4.5euros for 10 stubby bottles!!), goat cheese and ham etc. We rearranged the mini bar a bit to make room for these and had no comments from the staff so i assume its fine.

onto the controvertial Nespresso issue.... 2.5euros for a capsule is a fair whack, although i did pay once due to a hangover. I then went to the Nespresso shop in town (5 Place Général de Gaulle) and picked up 10 capsules for under 4 euros to use in the machine, so get over it!

My only issues were that the pillows were weird sized and that there was no kettle in the room. my girlfriend is a chain tea drinker so she had to go cold turkey. we did toy with buying a cheap one in Monoprix but that seemed a little desperate! So in short, i would recommend taking a small travel kettle if that's important to you.

overall, VERY pleased with the hotel (paid £550 for a week, 2 people), would return at the drop of a hat and very happy to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
directionnhom, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We thank you for your comment. We are very happy to read that you spent good time in our hotel. You choose to stay in 4 star hotel as you get 4 star services and 4 star prices. Fortunately, our accustomed 4 star guests use our services and not buy supply in supermarket as we can continue to provide best service.
England
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Used this hotel in July for 1 night to stay over before leaving to Paris on the TGV.

this hotel is located a little off the vieux port, but located a little bit more towards the sea. It's entrance is not on the main road but just off it, opposite the Novotel and Sofitel hotels.

Check in was very efficient, staff really friendly and even when the room was not ready they offered us to use the facilities in the hotel and they would call us on the mobile when the room would be ready.

The bar, terrace and pool area are located on the 1st floor overlooking the vieux port, it's in the sun all day until late evening and a great place to relax and to have a drink pool side (they have a good cocktail and wine menu).

The hotel decor was a bit pop-art style with some great use of lighting and artwork to make this place stand out of the large choice in Marseille. We had Dinner and Brunch here on sunday. the food was great! very impressive combinations and great value. Interesting was that a lot of local people came here for dinner who did not have rooms so this shows the popularity of the restaurant, well worth a visit.

Even when we stayed here only 1 night, Staff recognized and remembered room numbers and names with easy, very impressive!

Overall, a great place to stay and this hotel deserves to be recognized a little more. it's a fantastic pace to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
There is no other motivation that to receveice positive guest comments as yours. We thank you for description you wrote about our hotel and services. Hope to see you again