“Nice Hotel”
Review of Hotel Lutetia

Hotel Lutetia
Ranked #119 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were a group of five friends, who visited this place in January for four days. Our stay was quite relaxing and comfortable, as the place provides a wonderful accommodation in the heart of the city. From check in till check out everything went smooth. Staff looked efficient and trained. My friends liked the food and I loved that coffee served with hot snacks. Will definitely return to this place again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 2, 2013

First of all this review is based on the hotel being a budget hotel as it is good value for money. Would I stay there again? well maybe... But there are other hotels for similar prices in less sketchy areas that might be worth checking out. That being said, I'd rather be in an area with a lot of weirdos than in an area with just one or two weirdos (less power in numbers). And thus returning to the hotel at 11 pm by myself I did not feel like I was in mortal danger, but then it only takes one thug...
I stayed on the 4th floor in room 401. I found the room quite tiny though based on the decor and good light from the window I did not feel too enclosed. They have redone the floors in laminate rather than icky carpet (a definite plus!). The walls need a paint job, there was no heat that I could figure out (in the middle of January... ) but this was not the end of the world as the temperature did not dip too far. The bathroom door handle was broken, should be an easy fix. There was a hair dryer (always appreciated) but then I also found a random hair on the green blanket left on my bed. I would suggest to the hotel to get rid of the green pillows (which did not have a removable cover and therefore I assume could not be cleaned other than by drycleaning... yuck) and the green blanket (which may or may not be cleaned between guests) and stick to the duvet cover which I assume is cleaned between guests.
Overall not a bad budget hotel. Staff was nice, price was right, area was sketchorama, hotel room while not perfect, passable.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during an inter-railing trip with my husband for our anniversary. By this leg of the trip we were short on budget and there didn't seem to be loads of hotels in this city so we chanced it on this 2 star which seemed close enough to the train station and good value. It was and I wouldn't let the rating put you off.

The hotel is very very small but the rooms are ok and clean. The desk staff are excellent and put some 4* staff to shame who we'd met on other parts of our journey!

We bought breakfast ourselves from a nice little cafe and it wasn't difficult to find our way there nor to the port and the sights.

The small lift is as small as we were warned but we both fit in with our cases. We are not big but we did it with effort.

The stairs are ok too if you prefer.

The only problems with this hotel were that the other occupants were noisy when moving their luggage up and down the stairs through the night 9maybe they didn't fit in the lift?) and this disturbed us and also outside the hotel are the embassys and the queues of people waiting to be seen there. This is a port city with a lot of homeless people who have to sleep nearby to the station and therefore the hotel. We could see sleeping bags stored all over.

The city is currently getting a bit of a makeover for City of Culture but I'm sure the port area is probably already finished and open to view the improvements.

The embassy/homelessness issue is not a real fault nor is it the hotel's problem. We were made very welcome and felt safe enough in the city but it came as a bit of a culture shock when we arrived at night via the station. You really felt for the people.

Through the day there was a really different vibe and it just seemed like a beach city and we fell in love with it but we had a strange first impression on arrival after a long journey from Pisa.

The hotel is doing a good job and with City of Culture coming I wish it much luck and fortune as you could tell it had much more potential, just like the city.

Oh and the free WIFI was really great!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I and my wife, we had our last two days in Marseille and stayed at this hotel before our flight. We were tired of small hotel rooms and were offered larger rooms at Lutetia Hotel. I would recommend the room on the top floor which is slightly at a higher rate but worth taking. No noise. Nicely cleaned. A/C works well. Perfectly located. There is an elevator that we often enjoyed. Worth money. Close to the train and metro station. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Hotel room interior was very nice....

Room Tip: I would recommend the top floor. I am not sure if that was a suit room but it was quite a big room u...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This hotel is close to the train station and not too far from the 'heart' of the city. Located right near a tram line and the metro made it easy to get around the city!
Although on a main road the hotel was very quiet inside. The bed was comfortable and the room was serviced daily. The staff were friendly and spoke excellent English.
The lift is 'interesting' we stayed on the 4th floor and walked up the stairs, but you have to take the lift at least once when you stay there.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Liz_D27
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This hotel was quite good for the price. The room and ensuite was clean and bed was comfortable. The AC worked well. There were books in reception you could borrow and free wifi. I didn’t have the breakfast but it smelled great.
The big problem here was outside the hotel. I don’t know does Marseille have a bad reputation but it seemed v rough after dark. This hotel is quite central but even so as we walked up the street to it there was a group of teenage boys lining both sides of the footpath drinking that we had to walk past. Then as we got to the door of the hotel we had to walk through a full on fight that some other lads were having. This was only at 9.15pm! We were happy to pull out in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

lovely, laid back ,clean,right in the middle of town, 2 minutes from the train station and 100m from the metro.good value and a lovely breakfast.the lift is hilarious.

Room Tip: for a quiet room ask for one
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple