“our kind of place”
Review of Hotel Lutetia

Hotel Lutetia
Ranked #119 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed July 29, 2011

lovely, laid back ,clean,right in the middle of town, 2 minutes from the train station and 100m from the metro.good value and a lovely breakfast.the lift is hilarious.

Room Tip: for a quiet room ask for one
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank worldtravellerse1

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We spent there 5 nights and in general this hotel is very nice. Is very close to the turist center and its easy to find it. Its a small hotel, with friendly and helpful people working there. Hotel looks more like a hostel, and would be nice if there was a kitchen to use instead of very overpriced breakfasts. It's much cheaper to go for a nice french breakfast to one of the petit cafes close to the hotel. Also the surundings of the hotel are not the prettest one and you can feel a little bit uncomfortable. There is a lot homeless people around, drinking alcohol from very early in the morning, so it's better to come back to the hotel before is dark.The biggest minus for us was a fact that the room was extremely humid and you feel as everything is wed. Your clothes from the beach or towels never dried so we had to ask to change them every day. Also bathrooms are not the clinest ones, as you can see some fungus in the shower.
It's a nice hotel but i would choose another one next time.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Yes, the elevator is tiny, and, yes, there was noisy remodeling work going on starting about 8:30 in the morning, but this hotel was a fine choice. I was a short walk from the Gare Saint-Charles, where I'd arrived and from which I would depart —though watch that stairway if you're carrying a lot of luggage as I was— and a short distance from la Canebière, the main street, the Vieux Port, and the restaurants on the Cours Julien.

And, yes, Marseille is never going to compete with Cannes as the glamor spot of the French Mediterranean coast, nor is the city as obviously appealing as Barcelona, and there is the occasional street corner that seems as if it might as well be in Tangier —but there's plenty to see, the food is wonderful, and, above all, the locals are friendly and welcoming —and the Lutetia [named for the Roman settlement of the place now known as Paris] is well-situated, with a friendly, helpful staff.

My 50-Euros-a-night room was average-sized for a two-star French hotel and was very comfortable. The window gave a view out to some rooftops and let in plenty of natural light. From the standpoint of value for money, I don't think I could have done better.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RouteBG
Reviewed March 16, 2011

This hotel was nothing like I expected. If I were travelling alone, I would have left. If you are a girl, I recommend paying a little more for a different place or skipping Marseille. I am not sure if there are few different types of room, but by the pictures on the website it seems like it. The room smelled like cigarette and it was nauseating. I had to spray my pillow with my deodorant and lay some clothes on top and opened the window. The parking garage is 9 Euros for the night and it smells like pee. The location I guess is good. We walked to the port/ board walk for dinner and it was really sketchy. Lots of weird people on the street and the sidewalk was really dirty.
The lobby area is nice and they have a computer.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sikc
Reviewed October 7, 2010

nicely decorated room, nice breakfast available (and you can go back for more!), good location near main street (La Canebière), computer available in lobby with free internet, friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Nice night staff. Parking at 9 € / 24 h. In the city center.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I did quite a bit of research before settling on lutetia for my brief marseille stay. This is a very decent hotel with a very good location in that it is only a 5-10 min walk from St. Charles station. The street (Leon Gambetta) has some other hotels and I didnt feel particularly unsafe. The room is very small but airconditioned and cozy enough and the bathroom was also pretty clean. The elevator is probably one the tiniest elevators I have ever seen in my life. It is miniscule and I barely fit there even with my single carry on. People with more luggage can expect to have some trouble squeezing in. Service was ok, although they did screw up my wake-up call but luckily I had a backup and didnt miss my train. Overall, a decent room for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo