“Very Small Room but Clean and Modern Decor”

Best Western Hotel Du Mucem
Ranked #34 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Friendly reception staff. Very clean hotel and Modern decor. WiFi access was an added advantage and given without asking. The map given was also useful. My single room was extremely small (the smallest I have stayed in on my travels in France) and at the back of the hotel with a less than pleasant outlook (huge silver pipes and rubbish presumably dropped from the flats directly opposite). On the downside there were no restaurant or bar facilities in the hotel, nor the immediate vicinity which was very inconvenient and I had to walk to Vieux Port (15 mins walking distance) to eat. The hotel did cater for breakfast in a basement room though I did not use this facility. The hotel was located in quite a dark and run down part of the city and not ideal for the solo traveller.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 765Silver7
Aurelie s, Hotel Manager at Best Western Hotel Du Mucem, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Client,

We thank you for your feedback. Welcoming our clients appropriately is very important to us, we are happy to know you were touched by this.
The next time you wish to stay at our hotel, do not hesitate to contact us ahead of time. We propose a "Comfort" room to better satisfy your needs.
When you originally made your reservation, you chose a standard "single" room, as specified on every reservation site, measures 9m² with a single 1 person bed.
Regarding the vu of the garden, of the other building, we made a demand to the city hall of Marseille for them to take action. We are awaiting a response.
It is true that we advise our clients to have dinner on the "Old Port" because it is an animated and enjoyable site at only 15 minutes away from the hotel. But you should know that there are still restaurants open in the neighborhood de la Joliette.
Best regards
Aurélie SILVESTRINI

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here for three nights on a trip around France. I booked online and the price was not too bad,

Reception was friendly enough and we were given Room 204. When we walked in and saw the size of the room it was a blast from the past ! Some 25 years ago on a visit to Paris, we were given such a SMALL room that we had to walk across the end of the bed to get to the bathroom. Well, while this room wasn't quite that bad - it was gettng there !

Given we were on the road for over a month and travelling firstly around the UK, where it was minus 3C ( heavy clothes were in the bag) before heading to Europe, we had two very large suitcases. We could put one down - but the other was going to be put on the floor and block the way to the bathroom......history repeating itself. I ran into a couple of other guests on the same floor who said they had just come back from a cruise and they thought the ship's cabin was about the same size as their room.

While contemplating the situation, I did what most people do and went to the window to look at the "view". I wish I hadn't. The lower floors of hotel look at the back of another building and between the building and the hotel there is some sort of roof/structure. What can only be described as a garbage dump was the "view". Clothing, rags, bags of rubbish, on old air conditioning unit, bits of timber and metal eveywhere. The decision was made then and there.

I went to reception and asked to change rooms. Thankfully Pierre - who was very friendly and helpful - went away to check a room and came back and said we could have it. Room 504 - bigger and thankfully, with no panaramic view of the garbage dump !!

The room was a good size, comfortable bed and pillows. No windows ( a bonus) but a very modern, large skylight which was fine. Flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities and an ipod docking station. The bathroom was small but adequate and it had everything you needed.

Breakfast is served in the basement - but it's a bright modern area, with airconditioning and quite comfortable. There s a good selection of food on offer - but the only "hot" selection of scarmbled eggs and small sausages was actually COLD each morning.We asked the very friendly gentleman in the resturant if he could heat he food up on one morning and he did. I'm surprised it was cold again the next day......

There are NO restaurants anywhere near the hotel for dinner. You will have to walk - or catch the tram or bus to the Vieux Port, 15-20 minutes on foot. The area in which the hotel is located is an old seedy area, dark. - and mainly consisiting of old warehouses and former maritime buildings, mostly empty or under renovation. Not a great place to wak around at night.

It's a pity the hotel is where it is. The staff are all very friendly - the place is modern and room size excepted, it's very comfortable.

ONE night would be fine, but anything more than that and you'd have to really consider another option. As for the garbage dump view - perhaps an approach by Best Western to the owners of the building at the back with an offer to clean it up might help ? Just a thought.

Room Tip: Go high and avoid the view out the back
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HS300
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I arrived quite late and the reception staff were very friendly and provided the wi-fi code without prompting. I had a room on 1st floor by lift and although quite small was very nicely decorated, clean and inviting.

Once I got settled i thought I had left the tap running as I went to check I realised the nois was from an adjacent room. Later when someone flushed the chain i literally jumped as it sounded like someone was in my bathroom! To say the walls are paper thin is an understatement either that or their plumbing is the loudest I have ever experienced.

Despite the constant loud noises of other people in their bathrooms and the joy of hearing my neighbours snores! The bed was comfortable and I did sleep well.

The staff were very helpful, arranged for a cab very quickly and spoke very good English.

So apart from the noise a nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Holby-T
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have stayed in the hotel over easter holiday for four nights. The location is good. It takes just around five minutes to the metro and around 10 till 15 minutes to the old harbor of Marseille. The neighbourhood is quiet. The room was small, but very good arranged to use the available space. The hotel and the room have been very clean. The employees have been very friendly. The breakfast was also good. We can really recommend the hotel for a city trip or so.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

4 stars for the atmosphere (cleanliness+design) and 2 for the small room...
The location it's just fine, not in the city center, but also not so far, it's reasonable to walk from the hotel to the old port.
The service was kind.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank efpicas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is the first time such a bad experience around France. I had a very bad experience staying at the hotel. First we got a room on the top floor. The room had no windows, and only the small window leaf on the roof. On this day they have not changed the room, maybe there were not available rooms at hotel. The next day we first proposed to bring baggage down and to walk on the street or waiting in the lobby. The weather was cold and it was raining. I expressed outrage. They changed the room for us.
But then I noticed that the water in the kettle will turn yellow due to rust. I brought the kettle on the desk and they changed it.
In the evening it turned out that they forgot to leave towels in the room for bath. Again I had to ask to bring towels.
This room had a window but at the bottom of the yard was a garbage dump, so it was impossible to open the window.
Wi-fi in the room was fast but constantly interrupted.
Water pressure in the bath room was low.
Although the room was very clean overall experience was bad

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor with no windows, only a small ventilator on the roof. Rooms with a view...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank vanlegas
Aurelie s, Responsable Hôtel at Best Western Hotel Du Mucem, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Greetings Sir,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.
Meanwhile I would like to clarify a few things.

The first room that was assigned to you was a large spaced room equipped with a “velux” window. The night of your arrival around 20h00, you asked us if it was possible to change rooms because you were not satisfied by your current room. We immediately accepted and offered to switch rooms in the morning, (Our hotel being full on the first night.) At 8 o’clock the next morning you presented yourself at the reception in demand of a new room. Since your new room was currently occupied at the time, we asked you to be patient while we made the necessary preparations. At no giving time, the receptionist on shift, asked you to wait outside in the rain, on the contrary, she told you, you could stay in your old room while you waited for the new one to be ready.

For the 2nd night at the hotel, you stayed in a room situated on the opposite side of the street. I admit, the outside view of the patio and the buildings isn’t very pleasant, unfortunately it is very difficult for us to do anything about that, since the building does not belong to us.
After verification, it was brought to my attention that 2 towels were missing from your room, we deeply apologize for this incident.
Regarding the pressure problems, we will take the necessary steps to fix the issue so that it doesn’t repeat itself.

Best regards.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The reservation was really easy to make and the staff is very helpful and kind. Mrs. Marino (the person we were in contact with) was very kind to offer us a bigger room and also took good care of our request for a baby bed for our little girl. The price matches perfectly with the quality of the room, the hotel and services offered. Everything is very clean. The room was very silent (well isolated), with air conditioning, and the bed was so soft and nice, perfect to get a goo night sleep. Breakfast (buffet) is fresh, good and not expensive (11 eur per person). The hotel is located in an area not far at all from the city center and the "Vieux Port". If we go back to Marseille, we'll definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family