“Ok for the price”

Hotel Saint Louis
Ranked #37 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I chose the St Louis as I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel and it seemed to offer good value. The hotel is a basic three star with no frills, the staff are very polite and helpful and the breakfast room is very pleasant but the rooms are not of a very high standard. I feel that hotels are highly priced in Marseille and we would have had to spend considerably more to get something better. The location is very central but is right on the edge of where the town centre meets the slighty less salubrious part of town. If you are a woman travelling alone you might feel a little more comfortable staying nearer to the port.

I must mention, as others have, the Magazin Empereur beneath the hotel, we found it to be one of the highlights of Marseille and spend a couple of hours wanderering around this amazing cross between a museum and homewares emporium. Very beautiful and unexpected.

One suggestion to the hotel, room 55 is very dark, you could improve the lighting.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Saint Louis

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel has a great location, in the center and near from the old port. Rooms are ok, quiet, clean and decorated. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is quite good value too. Reception open 24h.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
yonaetienne, Propriétaire at Hotel Saint Louis, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again at
a future trip to Marseille.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel has excellent location - very close to railway station, subway and port. It is not big, but very cosy and clean. Stuff is very nice, I could highly recommend this place and will stay there again. We've asked for a room with a balcony, but didn't get it, our windows were looking at ugly building, but this wasn't a problem because it was very quiet street. We didn't take breakfasts (and it was a challeng to find a cafe, especially on Sunday - everything was closed!)))

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room and good luck! ;)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
yonaetienne, Propriétaire at Hotel Saint Louis, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Hello,
Comments like yours make us want to improve, we want to thank you for that.
We hope to welcome you again on your next trip to Marseille.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

the location is perfect to walk around and rate was fair. Good staff and rooms were nice. Lots of bars and restaurants around and place is quite lively after dark. Had a small balcony facing the port on 5th floor. If i go back to Marseilles, i would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Hello,
Thank you for your comment, we will be glad to welcome you again (make sure
to book through our website!)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Saint Louis is in a great location in the centre of the city and a few streets from the Vieux Port. Friendly people on reception. Nice spacious room (we were lucky and were allocated a 3 person room for 2) with large bathroom and old-world charm. Glad to be on the 5th and top floor as the street outside was rather noisy due to all the renovation works going on in the area (for the upcoming Capital of Culture year) but of course this isn't the hotel's fault! Don't come looking for something newly-redone and pristine, but it had lots of character and great prices.
Overall, we were very happy with this hotel for the price we paid - a clean, very central, friendly place to lay your head and get out and about enjoying this great fun city!

Room Tip: Aim for top floor (5th), perhaps away from the street if noise is a big issue for you
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hello,
We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and our city, and we will be happy to
welcome you during your next trip to Marseille

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hotel is very well situated. If you approach it from the opposite (northern) end of the rue des Recollettes (as we did, having walked from the railway station) the ambience is slightly alarming, but things improve the other side of the Boulevard de la Canebiere. It is close to the Vieux Port; there are interesting and lively streets nearby. There is a bar underneath the hotel and restaurants nearby. Close by is a attractive hat shop; next door is a wonderful and tantalising kitchen equipment and hardware shop called Maison Empereur while opposite is an unusual shop with knuckle-dusters and knives in the window. The hotel begins on the first floor and you ascend further in a slightly alarming lift. Our room was clean and comfortable and was very good value. The breakfast was adequate, made interesting by a machine for boiling half-a dozen eggs at once, which needed to be treated with respect. It was a good place to be for exploring and enjoying Marseille.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,
We are glad you enjoyed the hotel, its breakfast and its atypical
neighborhood! Hoping to see you on another trip.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had a very disappointing experience with this hotel. When I arrived, they told me that they had no reservation under my name. After an hour of waiting for a solution, I just decided to go find another hotel. The receptionist told me that I would have to pay for the first night's accommodation if I wanted to leave - after which she told me that, actually, my reservation had suddenly appeared. I don't understand the reason for this shuffling around, nothing was explained to me.
The first room that I was given was not cleaned (sheets on the floor, towels all over the place, etc). The receptionist didn't believe me and required some convincing before she would give me a new room. The second room was better - facing the street, but clean. Very thin walls throughout the hotel, so I heard my neighbours and their two children. I guess this is why they give you an iPod dock.
Both rooms that I saw were very small. "Quaint" and "charming" are appropriate descriptions. This suited me just fine, but I expect that if two people were in the room, they might feel cramped.

Good things: great location, iPod dock, decor is traditional, and reasonably priced. However, if I visit Marseille again, I'll find a different hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo