All reviewsexcellent locationvieux portnoise insulationlocated hotelfish marketnice hotelhuge bathroomgreat cityclean bathroomthe air conditioningstayed here for one nightrestaurants and barslate at nightshort staybuffet breakfastglazingstops
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I liked the city. A bit of research told me of the building work around the Old Port. However Marseille has lots to offer. The hotel has a beautiful location, helpful staff, amazingly comfortable bed, good bathroom and superb value.

Expedia says it has a bar, it doesn't, however you can walk 50 metres to plenty of them......as long as the wind isn't too strong.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dave P
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Fantastic location facing the Old Port next to the marina. The pier to take a boat to Chateau d'If is within minutes' walk. About 15 minutes' walk to the train station (convenient for airport shuttles). Plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shopping opportunities around. There is a metro station right next to the hotel but you can actually walk to all the major attractions.

The room was smallish but well appointed. There is a lot of reconstruction going on in Marseille at the moment so a room facing the courtyard is probably the best choice unless you don't mind being awakened by the noise of the building works outside. The air conditioner did not seem to be strong enough to cope with the outside temperatures when it got really hot. There is free wi-fi in the rooms but sometimes it failed to work.

All in all, quite suitable for a short stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We've just returned from 4 nights at the Grand Tonic Hotel at the Old Port in Marseille. Okay, a bit of a challange as there is much renovation in the area due to the city being selected as France's Culture City for next year. There was significant construction noise, but only during the daylight hours when we were not in our rooms and not on the weekend. What was the greatest part to me was the location...we were steps to the port, with views of the boats and sea. Everything you might need is at your fingertips....shopping, eating, nightlife, bus, trains. This was simply the greatest room for the price and did I mention they made a very attractive offer for 4 nights? You will of course find more deluxe hotels.
Marseille will never again look like her old self. After the facelift, she may be just another pretty face. Now, and for a short time, she has character. Go if you possibly can.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a view of the harbor........you may have to stand on your toes to see it...but still worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Please note that I stayed in this hotel on the 1st of July so its an old review, but I just joined this site and feel the need to add to other comments here.

The hotel is very clean with a pleasant smell throughout. My room was fairly small but wasn't a problem as I was travelling solo... I see from the pictures that family rooms tend to be more spacious but thats understandable. The staff are pleasant and multi-lingual. The best feature for me was that the bath had massaging jet streams at the touch of a button. The only two nit-picky things about the hotel were the cheap-feel toiletries (I bought my own so got away with it) and the rather pricey mini-bar. The free internet they advertise was only valid for 4 hours per day but this was plenty for me.

PLEASE beware that if you have a car with you, finding an on-street parking space is close to impossible. I had to settle for a 19 euro night stay in an underground car park (there may be cheaper around but I wasn't about to look for more spaces after driving all day). Recent reviews suggest that Marseille is STILL being renovated, so forget about any world-class views until its all done. Good luck finding grocery stores, at least there is a McDonald's outside (the wait for food is a lifetime).

Despite the state of the city, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you find yourself in Marseille.

Room Tip: From the pictures shown, couples may find it more spacious to book a family room as opposed to a double room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter in August, and found the accomodations to have exceeded what I could have expected. The room was quiet, and the carpet shampooed immediately prior to our arrival. It never really did get cool, however, as one other reviewer has stated. We found that it was well placed for the amount of walking that we did. I will say that the area is under extreme stress with the amount of consrtuction. As a pedestrian on the main drag, you are forced to walk with many, many people in very cramped spaces, unless you get off the beaten path. Tough if you're a tourist with google map directions! We managed to walk up to Notre Dame de la Garde and the Cathédrale Sainte-Marie-Majeure de Marseille and the Panier district from this location, although walking with luggage to the train station was too much to ask of us. The cab ride was about 15 euros.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family