“Perfect spot for Marseille Marathon”

Hotel de Rome et St Pierre
Ranked #122 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Perfect spot for Marseille Marathon”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

5 minutes from the start of the Marseille marathon. Could not have found a better place to stay. Wonderful helpful reception staff. Highly recommended. Great location. I liked the style as it was not overdone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jrhancock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Marseille
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel refused to give me an invoice and serve me breakfast (ambiguity in the command next breakfast is not written "no")
the shower was small and dirty. the room was outdated.
this benefit is € 45 and not 70 as I paid.
In any case, € 20 for intermediaries, it is excessive and I seriously considering to definitively rule.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Thierry B
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I had a very long and exhausting trip to Marseille. When I finally got to the hotel I was happy that soon I can just relax and enjoy my sleep. Went inside and wanted to cry straight away.
Whats the point of having a lift in the building if you have to drag your stuff up anyways?? Lift is locked on the first floor so you can use it from the second floor up, where the reception is located. The stuff just handed the room key to me, did not welcome or anything. I had to carry my lugagge to the 4th floor since the elevaror was too small to fit in.
In the room; the bathroom was good, big mirrors and it was clean. How ever the hot water stopped running on the second day of my stay. But that was the least of my worries.
There were two beds in the room. I opened one of the beds and found black hear on it! Opened the other one and realized the same thing! I thought this cant be happening. Started checking the sheets and found stains on them. I wondered if they changed the sheets at all after the old guests left. The ded was hard as a rock, I could feel the springs on my back. The decorative pillows were disgusting, didnt even want to touch them! All fuzzy and you could see stains on them..

Very, VERY nosy! luckily I had earplugs with me. I couldnt get the windos closed properly. The street next to the hotel is very nosy! And there is a police station right around the corner so you can expect to her the sirens every other minute, plus the honking cars and screaming kids and adults on the street.
The cleaning lady came every morning after I left the room. As I came back I took notice that she hadnt done anything but put the bedcover on the bed and fold my dirty towels. Every time she had been in the room I found more long blach hair from my towels and from the floor. Like I couldnt even have any clean towels in those 5 days I spent in the hotel. One morning I left late from the room and bumped into the cleaning lady infont of my room, she seemed nice and asked something in french (took it as if she could go in already). She had a small boy with her, and as soon as I nodded, the little boy ran into my room all excited. I just stared awhile with my mouth open. Now that little boy is touching my stuff and what ever in the room. That wasnt very professional from my point of view..
Even the minibar was poor. Only one cola and two beers in the fridge.

If you have to find something good; The location was great, all the shopping streets next to you. And the air conditioning was very good, but thats about it.

With small deeds they could turn the hotel into a nice one.
Its a bit sad that im actually waiting my whole stay to get to chance into a hostel, I had booked earlier.

Wish I would read these reviews in Tripadvisor before booking this hotel. Cant get that picture of a bedbug off my head now!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Annamari K
Munich, Germany
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The hotel is located in a very old building in the Vieux Port area. The room I got was very old, and not clean. There were hair everywhere (on the bed linen, in the closet, in the bathroom...). The bed sheets were spotted and were not clean. The drain pipe of the shower tub was clogged, so the tub filled up with water at every shower I took. I found this a bit disgusting. The breakfast was really poor, and the mugs were not clean enough. The personnel was kind though. The price was very high compared to the service. You can easily find other good hotels that are much cheaper in the same area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank gtusco
Groningen
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel has a nice location in the center of Marseille and has the potential for being a great hotel. It is a pity however that the management doesn't take advantage of the positive aspects of the hotel. Our room was dirty (the floor), the bathroom lacked a shower cabin, and the bed was poor (hard). You don't expect that at this price (around 100 euro/night). We quit after one night and continued at the Holiday Inn Express which was way better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Drey L
Paris, France
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The hotel is conveniently situated close to the Canebière; the Old Port and the Marseille Tourist Office.
The Reception staff were helpful with directions to restaurants and local attractions.
The check in and check out were very efficient.

The bed was comfortable.

The bathroom has a sit in tub, with a shower extension, but no shower curtain.
Not easy to have a shower standing up without soaking the bathroom floor...

The room looked over the interior yard, and so there was no traffic noise.
As it was cold outside, we weren't bothered by the restaurant extraction smells or the view of the inside yard which has been used as a dumping ground for the last few years.
The windows were single glazed and, because they are at least 50 years old; warped and a little difficult to close.
The last time that any major decoration was made to the hotel must be back in the 60's or 70's.

There was a certain character to the hotel;
The rabbit warren mixture of staircases and passageways between the different buildings;
The tiny lift for one person somehow squeezed into one of the stairwells;
The shabby chic of the solid wood, almost antique, bedroom furniture that looked like it had been bought at many different house clearance auctions.

One surprise was the stink of cigarettes which permeated the place during the day.
This came from what we suppose was the Manager's office just next to the Reception.
Aren't all smokers supposed to smoke outside nowadays?
Isn't there the possibility of being fined for not respecting the no smoking laws, or even having the establisment closed down?
The stench of cigarettes was not so obvious at night, when we came back from dinner. The air always smelled of anti-smoke air freshner....

You get what you pay for:
We wanted somewhere quiet to sleep that was close to the centre and not too expensive.
That's what we got, as well as the character of the place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EnglishmaninParis129
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel has an excellent website, but as soon as you walk in - Rude Awakening!!! The rooms are very dirty and in a terrible condition. The sheets are not changed, and if they are, they have stains on them. There are no shower cabins in the bathrooms. We asked for a different room, however, after being offered 2 different rooms, we realized that each room we saw was worse than the previous ones. We couldn't stay even for one night - left immediately and found a different hotel in the vicinity. The smell was unbearable as well; the hotel needs major renovation and cleaning. And of course, we had to pay for it anyway. Coming into such hotel after an 8 hour flight is just extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay away.