“Average Mercure hotel close to Stadium” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome

Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome
Ranked #65 of 129 Hotels in Marseille
Paris, France
“Average Mercure hotel close to Stadium”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This Mercure hotel is 300 meters away from Stade Velodrome. It is also located connected to the wide Prado Avenue, less than 2 kms away from Prado beach. Walk to there is quite nice. The hotel itself is fair. Decoarion looks a bit old compared to the Mercure Centre, close to vieux port, but rooms are clean.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank DeniZinho
Coralie_ASDOURIAN, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear customer

Thank you to have taken time to share your opinion.

I am delighted that the location brought you satisfaction.

Indeed the other Mercury was renovated and thank you to underline the cleanliness of our rooms.

I hope that i will have the pleasure to welcome you for your next stay in Marseille,

Best regards

Coralie Asdourian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel is in a good location if you want to attend rugby matches in the Volodrome which is just around the corner. The reception staff were pleasant and efficient.

My main reason for giving the hotel a poor rating is that it is advertised as four star but the facilities are not what I'd expect for a four star hotel, and the building is in need of updating. The entrance lobby is dark and shabby looking, and there is no bar or lounge.

The room had many design faults including: separate toilet and and bathroom, with no wash hand basin in the toilet room - very unhygienic. This room is also tiny, and would not suit anyone in a wheelchair, or with mobility issues. The bathroom is small, with a bath into which you have to climb to have a shower - not very safe. There is a shower curtain which isn't too good at keeping the water in. A four star hotel should have a separate shower tray and shower door. The carpet was covered in cigarette burns. The towels were thin. There was a kettle with tea and coffee sachets, but two cardboard cups. Why not proper mugs/cups?

Fortunately this was a one night visit - I would not recommend it for a longer stay. The owners need to invest in a bit of decoration and redesign.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, i am sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and i beg you to accept my sincerest apologies.

I hope that i will have the pleasure to welcome you for your next stay in Marseille in order to insure you my best care.

Kind regards

Coralie ASDOURIAN
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We arrived late in the night & we struggled with our luggages up the 3 steps to Reception. The man & lady at the front desk just sat & watched us struggle. When I asked if there is anyway I could use the luggage trolley parked near Reception, they shook their heads without uttering a word. Then we were told there was nothing to eat at the hotel. We were told to visit the Pizza restaurant across the road which the hotel had requested to stay open that night just to cater to the large group of tourists arriving. When we went there, we were told we could not order soups or pizzas as they had no chefs & were not supposed to be opened. So we settled with pastas.

Upon entering our room, we were greeted with cigarette smell. The air conditioner was not turned on & the stench was worse. There were 2 flies & a couple of mosquitoes swarming the room & I had to swat these pests before settling down. The carpet was badly stained, paint on the wall was peeling. As I was swatting the insects, dust was flying from the wall ledges & light fittings.

Breakfast was poor in a stuffy room. Cereals, fruits, breads were limited. Tables were not cleared & we just had to grab our seats whilst waiting for tables to be cleared.

This is a sign of poor management & the Accor Group should be ashamed to claim this as 4 stars. In my experience, if choosing the Accor Group, I find it is best to stay with either the Ibis or the Novotel. At least I am assured of a consistent standard. The Mercures seem to be a poor cousin of the group, struggling to maintain even a basic standard. However, the management of this Prado Mercure should seriously review if they are keen to keep their guests.

Not recommended at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear customer,

By answering our questionnaire, you have taken the time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel, and we thank you.

We are sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.

Be assured that the necessary corrective measures have already been taken to ensure that the quality level meets your expectations and earns your trust when you next stay with us.

Please contact me in order to discuss about your stay in our hotel.

Looking forward to hearing you..

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure Prado on a business trip, and wouldn’t go back. It was a three star at best, and that’s even being a bit generous. The rooms were small and dark, which was a bit depressing, the shower had left a lake of water on the floor after every shower, the headboard was a piece of painted plywood that was screwed to the wall (with the screws still visible), and the breakfast was terrible and €18/pp.

On a positive note it was very clean, he staff was friendly enough and it was an easy walk to the metro station and convention center. The restaurant across the street (Un Jardin de Ville) was also wonderful!

I visited a colleague staying at the InterContinental. If I ever return to Marseille, I’ll definitely being staying there!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jenna R
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear,

Looking forward to welcoming you shortly in Mercure Marseille Centre Prado.

Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I made a reservation using my mobile phone in the morning and i got back a confirmation code by email few minutes after.... very good deal for a last minute booking! Once i get in the hotel around 8 pm they have not let me check in ! because there has been an issue with my credit card ! They did not contact me by phone... and they tried to sell me a higher full price room anyway while i was standing at the desk... and the rooms where still available!!!!! Instead of managing the problem , they did not care about my issues with international sims. I was very shocked also because it is not my first time in a mercure hotel. SO probably the hotel is good and affordable... but the way they haven't manage my problem makes me think they are not pro. And not even serious. I will not stay in a mercure hotel for the rest of my life. I do not trust this company anymore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank carbonarofelice
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear,

Looking forward to welcoming you shortly in our hotel.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked the hotel via Hotwire at a reasonable rate ($100 per night Canadian). Let me start and end with something positive. The location is good, being a 20 minute slow walk to the beach and perhaps 6 or 7 to the Metro that gives reasonably quick access to the hustle and bustle of the old downtown.

Hotwire described it as 4 star and while I know the rating system, particularly in Europe, is a little liberal, I'm afraid this is one of the few that I have run across that didn't come close to its descriptor. The lobby is somewhat worn as are the rooms. If you are not fond of smoke, this may not be your place. It really permeated the bedding and certainly permeated the air while trying to sleep. For those who care about WiFi...extremely frustrating as it seemed to cut out every 5 minutes.

Perhaps the most disconcerting part of the stay was having my iPad and iPod stolen. Normally I do not leave such things out in the room but in one moment of foolishness did leave them plugged in to be recharged and when we returned in the evening it was gone. The staff determined no one but the cleaners and their supervisor entered the room so i can only deduce that someone waited for the opportune moment for the cleaner to do the washroom and they dashed in and out. Don't get me wrong such a thing could happen anywhere so I not going to be overly critical of the Mecure.

We reported the loss to the manager who was suitably sympathetic but said from the Mecure's point of view there was nothing they could do for us unless we reported the theft to the police. While understandable, this is something I suspect most people would not bother doing given the time and hassle. We did however decide to report it to the Marseille police.

So let me finish with the good. We found the staff to be be friendly and helpful. The Mecure paid our taxi to and from the police station. The Marseille police were very efficient and even with a language barrier did all they could to accommodate us and provide paperwork we could give to the Mecure.

So, having returned home, we wait to see if the Mecure will, act to deal with our loss claim as they have promised. We trust will be the case and will further update this review to let you know what happened.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ModestCanadians
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear customer,

I thank you for sharing your opinion concerning your last stay in Mercure Marseille Centre Prado..

I am saddened that your stay was soiled by the stole of your IPad and I present you my most sincere excuses.

Your file is treated by our insurance company and we shall return towards you as soon as possible.

I thank you for underlining the sympathy of my team and I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your next stay in Marseille.

Best regards