Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome
  • Restaurant
$128
$105
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked the hotel via Hotwire at a reasonable rate ($100 per night Canadian). Let me start and end with something positive. The location is good, being a 20 minute slow walk to the beach and perhaps 6 or 7 to the Metro that gives reasonably quick access to the hustle and bustle of the old downtown.

Hotwire described it as 4 star and while I know the rating system, particularly in Europe, is a little liberal, I'm afraid this is one of the few that I have run across that didn't come close to its descriptor. The lobby is somewhat worn as are the rooms. If you are not fond of smoke, this may not be your place. It really permeated the bedding and certainly permeated the air while trying to sleep. For those who care about WiFi...extremely frustrating as it seemed to cut out every 5 minutes.

Perhaps the most disconcerting part of the stay was having my iPad and iPod stolen. Normally I do not leave such things out in the room but in one moment of foolishness did leave them plugged in to be recharged and when we returned in the evening it was gone. The staff determined no one but the cleaners and their supervisor entered the room so i can only deduce that someone waited for the opportune moment for the cleaner to do the washroom and they dashed in and out. Don't get me wrong such a thing could happen anywhere so I not going to be overly critical of the Mecure.

We reported the loss to the manager who was suitably sympathetic but said from the Mecure's point of view there was nothing they could do for us unless we reported the theft to the police. While understandable, this is something I suspect most people would not bother doing given the time and hassle. We did however decide to report it to the Marseille police.

So let me finish with the good. We found the staff to be be friendly and helpful. The Mecure paid our taxi to and from the police station. The Marseille police were very efficient and even with a language barrier did all they could to accommodate us and provide paperwork we could give to the Mecure.

So, having returned home, we wait to see if the Mecure will, act to deal with our loss claim as they have promised. We trust will be the case and will further update this review to let you know what happened.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ModestCanadians
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear customer,

I thank you for sharing your opinion concerning your last stay in Mercure Marseille Centre Prado..

I am saddened that your stay was soiled by the stole of your IPad and I present you my most sincere excuses.

Your file is treated by our insurance company and we shall return towards you as soon as possible.

I thank you for underlining the sympathy of my team and I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your next stay in Marseille.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lovely clean hotel, close to old port. bit disappointed when we visited bar was being refurbished so was not open. Lovely to have coffee making facilities and fridge in room so did compensate for temporary closure. Ideal hotel for short break. Staff helpful, breakfast fab would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear customer,

I want to inform you that your comments concern the other Mercure situated on the Vieux Port.

I recommend you to write again for this hotel.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had to make a 1 night stay in Marseiile and being the first time to this city, I read about narrow streets and lack of parking space. Given that I came by car, I was browsing for a hotel in the heart of the city with parking space. One of the first choices turned out to be this Mercure. The website to which I am about to complain said that the hotel is in the heart of the town, overlooking the port, has swimming pool and it's own parking. Anyway, it was misleading information and I ended up arriving at an okay hotel 4 km from the main attractions and no own but public parking they work with. which is closed on the weekends. Anyway, I could find another one also next door.

So, hotel has no scenic view, lobby is typical for a budget hotel, no porter of course. The check in though was quick and efficient. The reception lady was very kind and helpful giving me directions how to get downtown.

My room was on the second floor. Poorly painted walls, smelly and stained carpet in the corridor. The room though was a contrast. Very clean sheets, clean bathroom, coffee and tea available. Small tv and limited channels. Next day I checked out.

Free internet is a great plus

Anyway, this is a good hotel for people on budget and who have more time to explore the town. Metro station is 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Perhaps look for higher floors
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FrequentBizTraveler1

Dear customer,

I thank you for your comments further to your last stay to the hotel Mercure Marseille Prado.

I am saddened that the website on wich you have made your booking gived you bad information about the hotel.

For any other reservation I recommend you to book on the Mercure’s web sites .
I thank you for your positive comments concerning my reception staff and the cleanliness of the room.

I hope I can receive you very soon in the hotel Mercure Marseille Prado.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The service was impeccable. The receptionist was so kind, as she provided my friend and I (2 students backpacking through Europe) a discounted price and free breakfast. The room was a luxury and the breakfast was phenomenal. If you are planning on staying in Marseille for a few nights, this hotel is perfect for you.

• Stayed: June 2013
StephanieGRATALOUP, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Prado Hotel Velodrome, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear customer,

I thank you for taking time to give us your feed back on your last stay in the hotel Mercure Marseille Centre Prado.

It is always a great pleasure and pride for my team and myself to aknowledge such comments, your satisfaction is a reward for us.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again soon in Marseille.