Citadines Castellane Marseille
Alex Hotel(Marseille)
$111
$106
Travelocity
All reviewsminute walkperfect roomwashing up liquidsmall kitchencatch the bussofa bedvieux portclose to metro stationextra pillowsgood sizeold portcomfortable stayreception areaevery morningstayed here for nightsmicrowaveapartment
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The Citadines are a good choice for friends and family travelling together who would prefer to each have their own bedroom. Much more cost-effective than renting two hotel rooms. The apartment we stayed in had a small kitchen area with three doors giving access to a bedroom, bed / sitting room (with small terrace dining area) and bathroom, so it worked perfectly well as a 2 bed rental.

The Citadines Castellane are on a quiet road 200 yards from the attractive Place Castellane which, although out of the centre and tourist areas, has a metro stop and at least two decent mid-price brasseries. There's also a range of useful shops, a top-quality produce market and a cinema showing films in English.

What leads me to mark this down is the grotty decor. The carpets and walls had marks and stains, as did the sofa cushions. It certainly wasn't unhygenic - the bathroom was as clean as any I've been in - but it does feel run-down. However, if you just want a base to explore Marseille and have no intention of spending much time in your room, I wouldn't put you off.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank romance_for_one
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I must tell you that I was very dissapointed!! The hotel has appartement rooms for 2 or 4 persons. I stayed in a room for 2, and guess what: IT DID NOT HAVE A BED!!! I was supposed to sleep in tha sofa they had, using the instructions on how to turn it into a bed. The sofa was old, worn out and not very clean, the sheets were also of very bad quality. The room had a small kitchen and bathroom, which were ok, but the carpets were full of stains and generally the smell in the room and in the corridors of the hotel was not very pleasant. My room also had no coller or air-condition, it only had a ventilator which didn't do much, as the heat and humidity in Marseille in the summer reaches high levels. There was no cleaning service, no change of towels during my 3 day stay at the hotel. The breakfast was not included in the room price which was 87 euros per night, and if you wanted to have breakfast (a very simple breakfast because there was no variety of things to choose from) you had to pay 8,5 euros!!!! The hotel was close to the subway station which was good. The second and last thing that I could mention as positive was that the girl in the reception was very helpful and polite. So overall, I am sure that you can find much better hotels in Marseille in the same price!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Tzepoula
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My 3 friends and I originally booked "Citadines Marseille Centre", and they confirmed it. However we gave them a call a day before we arrived just to be sure, and we were shocked to hear that they didn't receive our booking! We were told their rooms were all fully booked. We argued with them since it was too late to book another hotel (we were in St. Emilion in Bordeaux by then), and they said if we faxed them our hotel confirmation they can give us a room in their other hotel in the same chain - Citadines Marseille Castellane. We had no other choice, and luckily the owner of a wine shop was kind enough to help us fax the email confirmation, free of charge.

Besides from the expensive roaming mobile phone fees (from London) we weren't that concerned, since Citadines Marseille Castellane was cheaper anyway.

We arrived to find our appartment with a living room and two sofa beds, and another room with a double bed. There was a shower and a separate bathroom. There was a balcony which we used to air our shoes at night. The kitchenette was very convenient, we didn't cook but used it to prepare simple breakfasts.
The location was pretty convenient from the Metro and we felt the neighbourhood was safe enough.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed for a week at Citadines Castellane at the beginning of August 2008.

We initially chose self-catering because we thought it would be good to have some cooking facilities. However, even though the local supermarkets were well stocked and reasonably priced, we decided NOT to add to the strong odours of everybody else's cooking in the complex.

We had a 2 'bedded' studio which was actually a big sofa bed with a sliding bed underneath which you have to open out everynight. Linen, pillows & towels are provided & changed once during your stay (more if you are there for longer than a week, I assume).

The unit was clean and tidy, but the carpets definitely needed replacing. I suggest tiles would be a better option than carpets in a self-catering pad on the Med.

We arrived at midnight and the night porter was on duty, and swiftly checked us in - but I suggest e-mailing in advance to let them know if you are arriving between 2200-0700.

The place is just a short walk from Castellane & Perier Metro stations, and two short bus rides from Prado beach. There are 3 supermarkets within 10 mins walk - one of which opens untill 2000 on a Sunday. Plenty of bread & cake shops nearby, and a wide range of restaurants & fast food cafes - so you won't go hungry!

After trying the Vieux Port for eating out a couple of nights, we decided to stay nearer Place Castellane because the quality and prices were better.

Marseille is not a very late night city, as far as we could tell, and I had forgotten how expensive France can be compared to Spain and Italy for eating and drinking - so maybe the self catering option would be good for those on a strict budget.

To summarise: If you really don't need cooking facilities, then choose a hotel and maybe pay a little less, but it WAS nice to have breakfast on our own balcony and to leave a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge whilst we were out all day!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FlyingFella
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed here for 3 weeks in June 2008. We had the one bedroom apt. There is plenty of space, the bathroom is nice and the kitchen is well equipped. There is a balcony which overlooks a garden. The room is a litlle faded, for example there were stains on the carpet. Would have liked a kettle - had to use a saucepan to boil water to make coffee.
Staff was friendly and helpful and efficient.
Coffee and tea are available all day in the breakfast room. We didn't have their breakfasts, as we ate it in our room.

It is not close to the centre, i.e. the Vieux Port, but the nearby Place Castellane has a few restaurants, shops, cinemas, and cafes.
No real complaints, except for the lack of air conditioning. Even with the balcony door open, there was poor air circulation, and the room was very hot. I had trouble sleeping at night, I was so uncomfortable.
I would not stay here again in summer, but maybe in winter it would be OK.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bcastiel