“Excellent price - Excellent hotel!”

New Hotel Saint Charles
Ranked #109 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This little gem has had some tough reviews. Not sure what went wrong for those people, but this place was very good to us! It’s only a 2 min walk from Marseilles Central Railway Station and about 10 mins walk to the old port, where you will find eateries and shopping. The staff were very helpful and showed us where to take our laundry (just across the road), and allowed us to email through some documents to have printed (at no extra cost). We were very happy with our room; it was so light and airy. It was modern, clean and the bathroom was great too. But the best part was the comfy bed with lovely soft sheets and pillows. I think that this hotel may have had a refurb done not long ago. We definitely recommend this place. It cost us a mere 50euro a night on venere.com. It was central to everything and there were plenty of places to eat very near by. We would also recommend, if you’re planning on going to Marseille for leisure reasons, a trip out to Les Calanques Cassis. It’s a beautiful spot, where you will discover amazing azure blue waters and secluded beaches. A real must do! You can book to head out there with companies lining the old port. Easy peasy! Wifi was only available in the lobby, but it was free and not too slow. Feel confident to book with New Hotel Select, they have really spruced themselves up and seem very good now.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
newhotel013, Directeur at New Hotel Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thanks for your kind comments. We are glad that you appreciate the recent renovation. Hoping to see you again soon.
Best regards,

There are newer reviews for New Hotel Saint Charles

Reviewed May 31, 2011

The ROBBERY in the room occurred!
On the last day of our stay (30 april) we returned to our room and noticed that our travel bag that stayed in the room was inspected. When we looked closer we noticed that all our electronic devices (laptop etc) remained in the bag however displaced from their usual place. Then we found out that the sum of 4000-5000 RUB (that is equivalent of 100-130EUR) was stollen from the wallet that we left in the bag (thinking that nobody will need to steal russian money in France!). However we remember closing the door and the door remained closed when we came back. I made a declaration of robbery in the police and left it in the hotel. But still nobody from the hotel staff has tried to contact with me to settle down the situation, or even to write a letter of excuse. I think that any hotel is completely responsible for the luggage being inspected. It should provide security both for your and for you belongings! (As well as for a small amount of money left in the bags!)

I sent a message in the hotel contact-us form but still got no reply. I see that director is contacting people occasionally on this site so I hope to get a feedback from director.

The general opinion of the hotel is the following.
We arrived at the hotel at 6.00 a.m. (to check in) and we were welcomed warmly by the receptionist and were kindly asked to wait until 13.00 for our room to be cleaned (since they have official check in time at 13.00 so this was ok). But when we returned at 13.00, the chamber maid have not even started cleaning the room, so it took us another half an hour to wait until our room is ready.

Besides the rooms seemed to be shaggy (for 3 star hotel). Definitely the hotel does not deserve 3 stars.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Disappointed_Cust_11
newhotel013, Directeur général at New Hotel Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

The "robbery" mentionned was taken in consideration and the guest received messages from the management. We checked all the accesses by the magnetic doorlocks and there is nothing that proves a robbery had taken place. This does not mean we don't trust our guest's remark, but un -fortunately we did not find any explication to what might have happened.
The locks are secured and the hotel is equipped with videocameras.

Once again we apologize for what might have happened but there is no rational explanation or proof that can incriminate the hotel.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Falls down in too many aspects to be anything other than poor. Not all bad - the man who welcomed me on reception was nice, and the building is old and interesting and I liked the way they had done the rooms and the breakfast space out - quite funky. And of course it is cheap. BUT so many things really didn't work. Some examples - (1) washing was incredibly difficult. The shower head only pointed directly outwards, shooting over my head. So I thought I would have a bath, except the plug didn't work, so I had to have the bath with my food over the plughole, trying to keep the water from draining out. The pipes were also incredibly loud - a constant groaning and screeching as the water went down them (which was of course the whole time I was in the bath). (2) I couldn't work out how to get internet in my room - couldn't see a cable and didn't get wireless popping up. And didn't know how to phone reception to ask as there was no information in the room about the hotel or its facilities. So I did without. (3) The woman who checked me out misunderstood my question about a place I wanted to visit in Marseille - more my fault than hers as I asked in English as my French is very poor. But she then practically yelled at me when I tried to explain that the information I thought she was giving me was wrong, saying that I had told her that I wanted to visit this erroneous place. Unpleasant. (4) All the fruit at breakfast was practically going off. Just offputting. There was enough food there without it. It just gave the whole thing an air of not caring. (5) Miscellaneous oddness / unpleasantness - the huge swarm of flies by the front entrance of the hotel, the uncomfortable pillows on the bed, the fact that I couldn't work out how to turn either of the bedside lights on... Basically - avoid.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lkcLondon
Reviewed April 18, 2011

ROOM NR 210, BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! in addition,no bar/restorant, no room service, verry dirty rooms, internet only in reception area, and the car park cost us 32 euros per dayY!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank madalena7
newhotel013, Directeur général at New Hotel Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear Madalena,

We are sorry for what happened during your staying. Unfortunately, bed bugs were brought by previous customers. As soon as we detected the infestation, we took immediate action to eradicate it. We are currently working on the building to improve room comfort and we are negotiating special rates for our customers with a parking close to the hotel. We would be grateful to see you again and will make sure you have a great stay in Marseille.

Best regards

Reviewed October 25, 2010

We read the reviews about this hotel but thought as it was near the train station we would give it a go.. The only good thing about it was we got free WIFI - but if you were above the 1st floor you would have to go down to the lobby. The bed was slopping down so we had to sleep with our heads where your feet should be. We were also charged a city tax - we don't mind paying this but there was ubiquitous doggy dodo and very large piles of stinking rubbish on every street corner so we were unsure what the tax is for...What a disgraceful biohazard we have just experienced in Marseille.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tourist_occidental
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Don't do it. You couldn't pay me to go back. Dingy, gross little rooms, horrendous neighborhood, no wifi and so noisy that a decent night's sleep is impossible.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2010

It was an idea to spend a nice weekend in Marseille with my friend! As usual I was attentively looking for a good hotel. We wanted good location, minimum 3 stars, quite and comfortable with breakfast! The New Hotel Select seemed to be a hotel of choice!
Indeed, the location is excellent (near the Old Port, right in the heart of the historical center). However, the staff is quite unfriendly. We were waiting for 20 minutes at the reception, while the guy just was watching the computer. Ok, we received the key (only one electronic card for both of us(!)) and went to room. The corridor was extremely dark with black or dark gray tissue all over the walls and ceiling! The room was quite big, but the air was very fusty! The air conditioning was NOT working (it was making only the noise, wind and smell). The equipment in the bathroom was old! No hair drier! The bath was partly with rust. In order to breathe we opened the window! But it is necessary to mention that it was not possible to sleep with open window in the morning due to the fact that the hotel is standing on quite a noise street!!!
When in the evening we decided to go out and to relax in the clubs we were surprised upon coming back. The person at the reception was sleeping... right on the floor just with the blanket and pillow! So, we needed to knock and to ring and of course he was very angry with us! But it should be mentioned that the hotel has 3 stars and is opened 24 hours with a night porter! So, how he could sleep and be dissatisfied???
But more terrible was the fact that on Sunday we discovered suddenly the presence of unnumbered quantity of hemipterans in our bed!!!!! And then I 've got extremely powerful allergy all over the hands and the legs! I was very angry! Hemipterans in the 3 stars hotel in Europe in 21 century??????? Dont believe?? Look at the photo ( I specially took it with the hotel card)!!!! And what was the answer at the reception??? They only changed the room! Without any apologies! then we demanded for the manager! But she arrived only on Monday! And if as a normal persons we left the hotel at sunday we would never have any contact with manager!
As a result: corrupted weekend, allergy, the apologies under demand and a compensation of the one night price!
Do you want this? I would not recommend this hotel even to the enemy!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends