“We even were NOT able to stay, due to an untransparant reservation system”
Review of Hotel le Corbusier

and 1 more site!
Hotel le Corbusier
Ranked #55 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We reserved well in advance a room for two nights. Although it is insecure for potential hackers, we gave our VISA number as they asked by mail. Anyway, we were informed later the room was taken by people for a whole week. They suggested us to take another room, a more expensive of course, without any pardon to us. So it appears your reservation risks to be canceled by the hotel itself, if they find more interesting clients that stay longer.
By also aware the restaurant is not always open. But on the website it is impossible to know when they are in holidays. It only states they are open every day during weekdays, but we were informed it was not open when we would have stayed (wednesday-thursday in july).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aertsjens
le-corbusier, Owner at Hotel le Corbusier, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Sir,

It's just impossible to read what to write because you just lie !!
you forgot to tell to trip advisor that you put 3 weeks to decide wich room you wanted and it's just sure that after a lot of mails written beetwen us the room was finallybeen taken by another client inside the delay.
You had a long discussion with my husband about that and if you couldn't get the room it's only your fault, so please don't damage our reputation only because you are too long to take a decisison.
Your wish on our web site is only a demand and it's clearly written inside the web site and the room that we proposed to you was only 30 € more than the first one.
You apologized yourself in one of the mails written by you because of the delay you put to answer, Please next time you want to book try to decide rapidly what you want because our hotel is so particular that our 21 rooms are fastly booked.

There are newer reviews for Hotel le Corbusier

Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you like the architecture of the year 40 to 60, you will be very happy to stay in the hotel Le Corbusier in Marseille! La cité radieuse is a big building built in 1946. The hotel is on the 7th floor, at the original place organised by le Corbusier. We stayed in the studio, seeview - with some original (or copies) of Le Corbusier furniture. Very nice welcome and service. We had dinner there (le ventre de l'architecte) and it was very good. The roof top is beautiful!

Room Tip: The seeview is great but the see is quite far...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Contrary to previous reviews, myself and my boyfriend had a wonderful experience here. The rooms were good value - we stayed in a Chamber Cabin for 75 euro, which was just as described on the website and perfectly adequate and full of Corbusier quirks and the staff were incredibly helpful. I would have no hestiation in recommending this hotel and we will almost certainly return again and again. Amanda, Brighton UK

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'd like to add to my previous review that my credit card (used to secure the reservation) was charged by the hotel the day after I checked out, despite having paid in cash on the day I checked out.

I don't normally pay cash, but the receptionist stated the credit card machine "is broken" and I was told to pay cash - which I did. I wasn't given a receipt, and when I asked for one, I received a copy of my booking. Duh. I should have never accepted that, but hindsight is always more clever. When I wrote to the hotel manager asking them to cancel the charge, they not only had the cheek to ask me to send my receipt, then denied any knowledge of my cash payment and became quite rude on the email.

If you must stay, be very careful how you pay and always ask for receipts.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Anja-Superlekker
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've always wanted to visit one of Le Corbusier's apartment buildings, and after just sneaking around the lobby in the one in Briey, I sweet-talked my non-architecture friend to a long weekend in Marseille, and a stay at the Unite.

The building hosts over 300 apartment, and only a small number on the third and fourth floor have been converted into hotel rooms, partially occupying the third-floor hotel that has been there since the building was constructed in the 1950's.

Along the third floor corridor are also a few rather forlorn looking shops, doctors and architects offices, and a very long airy corridor from which to appreciate the generous design of the daddy of high density living.

The hotel is best reached by metro and then Bus 21 - a cab from the station can push 20EURO depending on the time of day.

Booking the hotel is rather complicated - either you trust all your credit card details to an unencrypted site, or phone in with a reservation request. I would not recommend just turning up, as thehotel appeared nealry fully booked when we stayed there. Reception is within the somewhat overpriced cafe - nice balcony, terrible service, overpriced drinks.

We had a studio with a Park View - essentially a view of the noisy Boulevard Michelet, so bring ear plugs. The room was spacious, with two (!) balconies and original parquet flooring and was otherwise of very spartan furnishing. There was one very nice new and comfy double bed and two very shabby looking singles which must have hailed from Le Corbusier's times. Other than that, there was no Le Corbusier furniture in the room, which was somewhat disappointing, The Fritz Hansen "Seven" chairs were rather cack-handed copies.

However, what we soon dubbed the "Le Corbusier Bed" was the most uncomfortable bed ever.. . the well worn metal wires holding the mattress must have been original 1950's and were pretty much on their way out. . After one night of back ache and little sleep, I ended up dragging the mattress onto the floor and slept really well. Bathroom full of mostly modern mis-matched fittings, was clean enough but reminded me of a hostel, and there were no toiletries at all. Some modern light fittings had seen better days or were ripped out of the wall.

Similarly, the Grande Chambre my friend changed into later was a ragbag of original design and cheap modern fitting, although it also had a Cassina LC chaiselongue... whether that was worth the extra 30 EURO a night I'm not sure about.

However, it was nice to stay in such a historical building. The people who live there are very friendly, and it has a 24h concierge service and the surrounding area is safe although there are a few mild-mannered prostitutes about. Best of the whole stay had to be the 9th floor roof terrace, which is open to the public and offers wonderful views and endless photo opportunities.

On my last day, the credit card machine was not working and I was sent to the supermarket to obtain cash. Seizing the opportunity, I returned with an armful of baguette and croissants for and impromptu picknick on the roof - food is not allowed in rooms (again, the rules remind me of a youth hostel... I cannot imagine a good reason as to why food and drink would not be allowed, given that hundreds of people live here and hundreds of kitchens in the building are full off food... other than encourage people to visit the very expensive restaurant?)

There are a few cafes and restaurants along the Boulevard Michelet, but nothing outstanding, and many closed ont hwe weekend. The nearest decent eating places (along with a few cinemas and a rather pleasant cafe scene) can be found two metro stops or a bus ride (or a 20 minute walk) away at Castellanes Metro.

Service was a bit surely not memorable at all. Forget about mini bar, room, service, etc...I would find it difficult to attribute a star rating to this place, but I'd probaby say two, at the very best. It could do a lot better in terms of offering a unique experience. If one has a hotel in such a wonderful building, it would be prudent to convey a bit more passion about the genius of Le Corbusier and perhaps to offer tours or visits to apartments, but none of this was offered or mentioned.

So my mind is divided on this one - I'd probably recommend staying there for the sheer immersion in heritage, but for comfort and friendliness, this is not your place.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs for "park view" rooms. Rooms ont he third floor have lovely balconies, but...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Anja-Superlekker
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed and we absolutely loved it. The rooms are incredibly well conserved, clean and updated but with the sensation of living the modernism architecture experience of Le Corbusier. The staff is so helpful at guiding you with restaurant reservations and areas to visit.
Great experience !!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victoires75
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Highly recommended ! We really enjoyed our three night stay here in September 2011. Staying and moving around all of those Charlotte Perriand's furniture and sleeping in a real Le Corbusier bulding was my dream comes true. The terrace is fantastic - amazing views and architecture. By the way eating at the hotel restaurant is etching in my memory !! I had a blast !!!
Relax and authentic atmosphere ! Amazing trip ...
The hosts were very nice, incredibly helpful. Appreciate all the valuable tips that I got from them about Marseille's night life !
I'll be back !!