“Terrible and overprice”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Miramar

Le Miramar
Ranked #133 of 2,111 Restaurants in Marseille
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shanghai, China
“Terrible and overprice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service is just so so, with very slow speed and poor English. Bouillabaisse is OK but overpriced a lot. It doesn't worth that much.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kevin G

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“Worst Service for the Price I have Encountered”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

When I told my friend of my experience at Le Miramar she said, "The French do bad service as well as they do good." And I have to agree.
We just left Le Miramar and i am so very disappointed at the level of service and communication. I tried desperately to engage our server, asking questions when she brought our fish around, not to be annoying but just trying to get some communication and perhaps a little connection, but to no avail.

The Boulibasse is good. But it is way too much for one person. We didn't ask if we could do it for one, the menu says for two but that seems ridiculous with all the people in there. Oh yeah, and I would actually have to have a server who wanted to engage in any conversation at all to ask that. It was a quick, "what do you want," and then I never saw him again. A guy took our order but a woman seemed to handle the rest.

It is 60 euro for boulibasse and with the amount of fish I can understand the price. The broth is great. I went in with the attitude that this is what one does in Marseille. Just as one might go to Disneyland in Los Angeles, one eats boullibase in Mariseille.

We were packed in against a wall with an Italian Couple on one side and a Spanish on another. This is typical. We both had great views of the harbor so no real complaints. But the service was so bad we all got to know each other well. I only speak a smattering of either language but we had each other laughing. It was the total lack of care for the customers that amazed me.
I mean this is not a cheap place. I sell wine and know what their mark up is.
I also noticed the French people not ordering boullibase got treated better than us foreigners who did.
Too bad, as I am really interested in good food and would like to have had a great experience
I saw they were busy so dialed back my expectations. But it really was the fact that we all felt pretty ignored. Food was put down with no smile or acknowledgement. I had to really query her to get what the red sauce is that goes with the boullibase. I mean I had to ask her twice to explain what was in it as she was ready to dart away.
If this was a cheap place, then I would understand. But they pose as an elegant fine restaurant and the service was anything but.

1 Thank Terry A
Bruges Belgique
“Good but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ou first impression of the restaurant was not very positive!
We were welcomed by a lady who wanted to dump us on the first floor in a dark corner. We refused and asked for a table in the main restaurant. Again we were offered the worst table in a corner. As we expressed our intention to leave it became suddenly possible to get a table at the window!! We decided to take no aperitive and no appetizer and this was visibly not what the waiter wanted to hear. The wines on the wine list are very expensive. We choose a côtes de Provence which was really not good and which we got the vening before for much less in an other restaurant. The fish of the day (rascasse) and the morue was excellent. Also the desserts were very good. The waiter was friendly but cool.
The total bill (175 euro) for this type of meal was too high. Although we had a good meal we left with mixed feelings and would not go back.

London
“Good Food But......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The food is very good - Le Miramar is famous for its bouillabaisse and it was indeed truly good and while the food prices are high they are justified by the quality of the food.

So why not five stars? I offer three reasons.

First the restaurant is staggeringly crowded and you eat cheek by jowl with your neighbours (and this is preferable to the outer Siberia of tables in the overflow outside the restaurant).

Secondly, the service is very poor with the staff being rushed and chaotic but nonetheless managing to convey the impression that the diners were not worthy of being in the restaurant. I would add that you are asked to order desserts before the meal and this is always a sign of a restaurant that puts its own convenience ahead of its customers.

Finally the wine prices are nose bleedingly high with just about the highest mark-up I have ever encountered - as a rough guide, Le Miramar's prices are about 5 times UK retail prices

2 Thank Galahad_Threepwood
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Poor service at a very high price.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Your paying for location. There are many restaurants that serve excellent Bouillabaisse for less. The service was poor at best. We waited a long time because we did not have a reservation that was to be expected. After seating is when everything went wrong. They did not acknowledge that we were there, did not get drink order or bring bread to the table. After a very long wait our order was finally taken but still no drinks or bread. One of the waiters knocked over a wine bucket full of ice water soaking my clothing through. They said they were sorry, but continued to laugh about it. My husband and I left after that. Friends who ate there the same evening stated that the food was good nothing special and complained of the poor service also.

1 Thank Michele S