“Cool Marseille Maison d'Hotes”
Review of Au Vieux Panier

Au Vieux Panier
Ranked #19 of 68 Marseille B&B and Inns
London
“Cool Marseille Maison d'Hotes”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This is a really great option if you're looking for somewhere funky, relaxed and central. Renovated and recently opened maison d’hotes in the up-and-coming Le Panier quarter run by half-English, half-French Jessica Venediger and her boyfriend, Paco. Super-central, just 5-minutes on foot from the Vieux Port, the five rooms have been creatively and stylishly decorated, with art installations by French artists. Comfy beds, with great showers. The owners are super-savvy locals who know their restaurants and are happy to share their favourite addresses.

For more info, please read my blog post:

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFatMouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Caerdydd
Reviewed October 9, 2011

One of the best places we've ever stayed in.

Very comfortable room (called 69 when we were there in September) with an excellent en-suite bathroom - huge shower! Comfortable lounge area downstairs where you can watch TV or read one of their books. Make sure you venture up to the roof-top terrace with deck chairs and a good view over Le Panier and Marseille.

Helpful service when we arrived and when we made enquiries about things to do in Marseille.
Yes - there's not always someone at 'reception', but that's made clear on the website and on the confirmation email so isn't a problem. Breakfast was great, including homemade peach compote.

Allez-y vite!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I visited for just one night, and while we had some difficulty finding the actual location (the streets are a little maze like and difficult to drive through) we couldn't have been happier when we arrived. While not a luxury hotel, it's personality made it one of my favorite places we stayed in along our voyage in the South of France. Each room has a different quirky design, commissioned by artists that re-do the space every couple of months. It is a living and evolving art installation, which made it truly special and memorable for us. It was perfectly clean and cozy (small European rooms) and i wouldn't have changed a thing about it. The entry room is a sort of living room filled with art, graffiti and design books...travel guides from around the world...and also is the place where breakfast is served (very good croissants,fruits, nutella, etc). It was like staying in the home of an artist friend. While the area is a little quite and there were a lot of men hanging out in the streets at night, I would highly recommend this place. If I ever opened up a B&B I would hope it would have the same energy as this...i left thinking of all the art projects I wanted to take on when i got back home to NYC.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is the coolest B&B I've ever seen -- and will probably ever see. The owner has each of the five rooms redone annually by a local artist. Our room was "Catch the Wind" but we called it the Jim Morrison room because of its little alcove, decoration circa 1970, with "Morrison Hotel" queued up on the turntable. Reading material included the Morrison bio, Kerouac's On the Road, and lots more. We took a peek in several of the other rooms, and all were equally inventive. The common area downstairs (living room, breakfast dining table) was also cool and funky.

Breakfast was continental with various cereal options. Just fine.

The owner was out of town during most of our visit and had a friend take over management of the B&B in her absence. Service was a bit spotty but generally okay. This is a B&B, after all, not a hotel.

I'm really glad we chose this B&B for our first trip to Marseille. It's a great experience. For our next trip, however, we'll probably choose a hotel that is more centrally located down at the port level. Le Panier is a very trendy neighborhood with some very good dining options, but you've pretty much done the neighborhood after a couple of hours. It's a bit of a hike to get to the port or to public transportation. But again, really glad we stayed there once!

Room Tip: We loved our room "Catch the Wind".
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank audace11
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I just spent a few nights in the hotel and I concur with the previous reviewer who was disappointed. The house is clean and very well located, but I would not recommend it.

The service is almost inexistent. At times it seems that you are entirely alone in the house, and if people in the morning do not forget to wake up you might be served breakfast before nine. Expect rather to be served around 9:30 or 10. You won't get anything before 8:30. The breakfast consists mainly in bread, croissant and yoghurt, nothing exceptional. There is no phone or TV in the rooms. The room I stayed in was tinier than I thought, and had no windows. I wondered during my entire stay what I would do in case a fire broke out in the hotel, and I could not use the stairs, as there was absolutely no other exit in my room than the door. I did not see a smoke alarm in the room.

Although it is situated in a pleasant area with almost no traffic, it is not as quiet as you would think. You might hear guess coming back late at night, and some noise from the street, not from cars but from children playing football and banging all the doors and walls around with the ball. Note that a huge part of the area is undergoing massive construction work, the most important one, just one block from the hotel, is the transformation of the former hospice into a brand new palace. A future grandiose site but for the time being an ugly and dusty hole with a huge crane standing in the center.
After a few days I went to the New Hotel, on the other side of the Vieux Port. For the same price - what a treat and what a relief!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marguerite24
Beziers, France
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Au Vieux Panier is ideally located, in a quiet area, near the Old Port and within walking distance of most of the city attractions. The owner, Jessica, is most welcoming and helpful. She has chosen the interior décor with care and good taste. The rooms are fun, clean and comfortable, with good beds dressed in nice bed linen. The buffet style breakfast is very good with nice whole grain breads and home made jams. The best part for us was the roof terrace. Watch the sun set with a glass of wine or enjoy the stars and the lights of Marseille at night. Very romantic! A most enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple