“Fawlty Towers!”

Restaurant Indien Govinda
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Opéra
Description: Authentic Indian food restaurant located in a touristic place of Marseille - Vieux Port in La place Thiars. Govinda's Restaurant is serving various kinds of food such as vegetarian, fish and seafood and various type of meats with chicken, beef and sheep roasted in the Tandoori oven and even marinated in sausages. Our restaurant is open every day 7/7 From 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM And From 6:30 PM to 11:30 PM We hope to see you and you are always welcome in our restaurant. See you soon!
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely terrible service - slow and it took 50 mins to advise that the main course wasn't available when other main courses had been served. Requested a clean fork 3 times.
The neighbouring table suffered equally with one if the four nor receiving their main course.
The manager justified the poor service by saying 'we've been open for 30 years! It's about time that it closed.
Do we need to say more!!!!

3  Thank Robert F

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I visited this restaurant with family , food was very good and service was also good . I recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was looking for a quick but good place dinner and I tried this Indian Restaurant. I didn't feel like chosing one dish so I tried the menu with 7 dishes for 14 euros. It was a nice way to discover dishes I don't usually try. Good going because there were all quite good and it was just enough for a good dinner. Try the lemon/vodka cocktail, it's really good. Nice staff. Welcoming place and good value for the price. I would rate this place as Good, but there is not rating between "average" and Very good". don't understand the negative reviews on this place because I was quite satidfied with this restaurant. But I'm not an international expert in Indian restaurant to sa the truth...

1  Thank DeniZinho
Reviewed December 29, 2013

had their €14 menus and was good for lunch. Fascinating to hear the staff communicate in a mix of English, French and Hindi. Busy spot, so service can be slightly slow, but not slow by French standards. And the house wine at €10 a pop is actually from a bottle, not a mysterious plastic container out of your sight. Would go back.

1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed June 19, 2013

All of the other reviews go back to at least last year and it seems Govinda may have been a great hit or a terrible miss. As we only went here one evening we are not sure if anything has changed or that we were just lucky because our meals were excellent.

We were dining quite early in the evening as it going to be a very cold walk home but still most of the tables were occupied which was a good sign. Menus were promptly provided including the wine list and complimentary bottled water was placed on the table.

I ordered the crab pakora for an entrée followed by the lamb with spinach. The pakora was a little bit doughy whilst the lamb was superb. My wife commented that her vegetable thali was "wonderful". And it wasn't just quality - the servings were all very generous and well presented.

Combine all the above with great service and a great location right near the harbour with very reasonable prices for both the food and the wine and we have a restaurant that we would have no hesitation to recommend.

2  Thank Lexus51