“only if you are alone or young or broke”

Holiday Inn Express Marseille-Saint Charles
Ranked #22 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The initial plan was to stay near the railway station - a no-brainer for taking a train or renting out a car - to travel around a Provence so to stay in the hotel overnight only.

I opt for a HI after a more or less enjoyable experience while staying in US, Switzerland, and Russia a number of times as it was just across a station.

So - a TINY room, a hardest ever bed, a small bathroom, patchy internet and THE HOTEL WILL DECIDE WHEN it's time to cool down YOUR room using air conditioner - it's just not working in May, so you have the only choice to partially open a window to get some fresh air (and a lot of traffic noise) in.

Decision - to relocate to other hotel next morning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kostiantyn
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marseille-Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Kostiantyn,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property.

I sincerely apologize for you did not find our room to your liking and for the inconvenience you had with the air conditioning system. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. Kindly be assured that your comments will be looked into by the management team and improvements will be made where possible.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had a nice staying here, but the responsible person for the reception emailed me after me staying, informing me that they had charged me for breaking the shower door. I had not done this. I tried reasoning with her on email, but she refused to hear me out. I was shocked over this way of treating guests. So if you stay at this hotel, you may be accused of breaking things and your card will be charged. I would advice not to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Linecgj
stephaniemerlin, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marseille-Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Linecgj ,

We will contact you direclty to solve the problem

Regards,

Stéphanie MERLIN
Sales Manager

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel provided just what I needed - simple, clean and neat place to sleep.

Area (near train station) is very run down and a llittle seedy but you would expect that near the train station.

The hotel is well kept and well appointed.

Overall - just what I needed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This property is immediately adjacent to the main train station, very close to the university (3 blocks) and a short 15 minute walk to the Old Port. Clean, modern, dare-I-say typical American mid-range hotel. The room was very clean and updated, and we received a family room with an extra bed for our son for no additional charge with a conference rate. Great European breakfast, great value, great service. If you are looking for something fancy very close to the port, this is not your property. However, if you have business nearby, need access to the university, or are passing through and prefer something close to the train station, this is a great choice and an excellent price. My only reservation was that the area did not seem exactly safe, but we had no troubles. If you spend any time in Marseille no matter where, you will have to get used to the sight of human children defecating on the streets anyway...

Room Tip: If you mention you have a child when you book they will provide a room that includes a second bed. W...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GigglesandGaggles
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are very satisfied with this clean, modern hotel. It held its high standard for its class of hotel. Location is excellent if you're looking at one across the Gare St. Cahrles train station. The interior is ultra modern and spacious. The rooms are immaculately clean, spacious, bright with lots of modern amenities. This is an excellent base to explore Marseille and beyond. We took a stroll to old town Marseille, its port, and even to the row of museums along the water: Villa Mediterranee, etc. The staff is accommodating and professional. We would definitely come back to this hotel in our next trip to Marseille.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiramisu_12
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is very close to the train station in Marseille. The room was very clean and modern, and we were lucky to have beautiful views of the harbor. The staff was also very helpful, and helped us communicate with our airline with a lost luggage issue. The area around the hotel is dangerous, but this is something to be considered when visiting Marseille in general. My only complaint about the hotel is that the bed was extremely hard and it was difficult to get sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank henry1003
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Very convenient, being next to the station.
Nice view of Marseille from the room.
Basic but clean. Had everything you would expect.
Breakfast not bad seeing it was part of the room price.
Service not bad.
Wouldn't want to stay for any longer, the area around made me feel quite uncomfortable but for a quick overnight stay whilst connecting trains, ideal

Room Tip: higher up is probably best
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple