Hotel Peron
Le Rhul(Marseille)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewssea viewfamily run hotelhotel ownersstay there againold portvieux portbalconymediterraneanharbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I notice that the best Hotel Peron reviews here are European. By Europeans. Perhaps only non-Americans, non-British/English speakers can appreciate the total eccentricity of this fabulously unusual, CHEAP and right-on-the-water hotel. Each room is completely different, each very artful and oddball, perfectly clean and quiet. If you rent the corner rooms in the 20s, you're on the second floor facing the water. I dare you to find any place like it for the price. Climb over the railing and swim in the ocean within minutes of waking up. One note: forget the complementary breakfast, it's useless. There are nice places to have good coffee nearby and you can walk back from the center of the city and have a nap very easily. I think of this hotel at least once a month and have a big, poster-size photo of it my bedroom. I'm from New York City, with in the Hotel Peron.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilovefrancenyc
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We stayed here because it was recommended by Lonely Planet as their TOP place to stay in Marseille. Unfortunately, we were driving around France and didn't have access to the internet - otherwise we would have seen the reviews here and never gone. It was probably a very beautiful hotel at some point, a long time ago... but now it's just run down, dirty and weird. Lonely Planet describes it as a museum like view into Art Deco: this actually means that it's just very, very outdated and nothing has been changed in the rooms (including the sheets) since the 1920's. It was the most expensive place we stayed during our week in France, and the worst. The walls are paper thin - you can hear every tiny noise in the room next door - we were woken up at 3am by two women who had just come back and were having a normal conversation. It was like they were in the same room! Stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2009

worst place in the world filthy, he addams family house has more appeal,silly girl at the tourist office recommeneded it stayed one night couldnt wait to get out.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I made the mistake of booking Hotel Peron after reading about it in a Lonely Planet book. Wish I'd read the reviews here first!

Let's start with the good things. The rooms have great views of the sea. The staff can be helpful at times. There's free wifi.

That's it for the good, now for the bad. Our room was dirty with sand on the floor and chairs; there was hair in the bed (uh... it was far too curly for our liking); and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, underwear from the last guest had been left on the floor. Given that the shower had no screen we used our towels to mop up the water on the floor and put them in the bathtub to be replaced. They were just hung back on the towel rail. The hotel is on a main road on the seafront so there's lots of traffic noise.

We asked for a car park to be reserved and were told that would be ok but upon arrival were told there was no space available. So we had to drive around to find a park and lug our luggage to the hotel. Finding a park was not easy given that it's a seaside area.

We stayed for two nights and I spent the second night awake from 4.30am from the traffic noise, music coming from somewhere and also because I couldn't wait until it was daylight so I could get out of there. It was skin crawlingly dirty and not at all worth 85 Euros per night.

Oh yeah, and if the people in the room next to you are having a good time (why they would want to take their clothes off when it's so dirty is beyond me, but anyway) you will hear all about it.

Awful!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
10  Thank HimbeerRadler
Reviewed October 31, 2008

Just returned from a weekend in Marseille, unfortunately as there was a marathon on and very few rooms available near the seafront. Although Hotel Peron was classed as two star, I am convinced there must be a special category for a hotel of this kind - it was so laughably bad like something from a very bad B movie. Stuck in time from around the 60's - the decor was grotty and bizzarre but I wouldn't mind that if the place had been cleaner. Beds were like sleeping on blocks of wood with the bedding visibly threadbare. A nasty dog awaited your arrival at the bottom of the stairs and had pleasure in biting anyone within his vicinity, something that didn't bother the owners in the least. Considering we were in France, the home of the croissant - there is no excuse for a breakfast where they're so hard they could be used as lethal weapons - probably yesterdays leftovers. Adding insult to injury we were charged 230.00 Euro from 1 adult and child for 3 nights. We hadn't even bothered with breakfast after the first morning so I would consider this price crazy ( I can get a fine 4 star back home in Ireland for the same price). But beggars can't be choosers on the weekend we picked - bad choice. It was an experience to say the least. A Bad One !

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family