“Culture in Marseille”
Review of Les Arcenaulx

Les Arcenaulx
Reserve with
Les Arcenaulx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 2,208 Restaurants in Marseille
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opéra
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are not looking only for good food, but also for a friendly and professional staff, for a cultural and ancient atmosphere, for a quiet and comfortable room, this is an excellent address to recommend, especially in winter time.

2  Thank P_C_xx123
There are newer reviews for Les Arcenaulx

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The ambiance in this restaurant is quite special. Through an arched gate, turn right into a very nice shop selling soaps, fragrances, oils etc. Emerging at the other end of the shop you find the entrance of the restaurant. This is in October. In the height of summer there will undoubtedly be a terrace out on the square. The building is very old right in the heart of old Marseille! next to the old port. The dining area is very cozy with book cases all around. The food is more then excellent, fresh and innovative dishes. The prices are a bit on the steep side, but the food is worth every penny. The menu "du jour" for 20 euros is for lunch time only, but you can order the same starters and main courses and end up with a better price. The staff is very friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone, as it is a wonderful experience in the old city of Marseille. Skip the cheeseplatter as a dessert though, it consists of three pieces of hard cheese resembling Emmental, Appenzeller and Gouda. We did not find it at all priceworthy. But overall we were very impressed with the ambiance, the food and the staff.

3  Thank NoorLeb
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Maybe not top of the pile or anywhere near the greatest culinary awards but this is a well run and presented restaurant in fine surroundings but with a laid back ambience and friendly attentive staff. Our only gripe was that we spent fifteen minutes walking the nearby streets because our tourist map was woefully lacking in detail. Once we did get here, everything went very smoothly. The linked dining rooms were 90% full on an October Tuesday night. The meal was excellent as was the very well priced local wine. No hesitation in recommending anyone to come here. About €120 for two for above the averagely priced meal choices we made from the first to courses on the menu. But we came away more than happy with everything given that it cost about £40 each English money and we could not easily have got this good a meal for this little including the booze.

2  Thank Jannerbloke
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Les Archenaulx is a wonderful place right beside Vieux Port in Marseilles. The main room is totally decorated with ancient books and the atmosphere is absolutely cozy. My girlfriend and I found this place wonderful and fortunately our food was quite impressive. My girlfriend tried a fish soup and she said it was one of the best she ever ate in her life. I tried a meat dish and I found it really good. Prices are a little bit high, but believe me, it is worth spending a little more to have a dinner here!

3  Thank frenkbaruffi
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Sometimes you just stumble into magic! First of all, it is wonderful to be dining among books and so close to a shop with local soaps, lotions and other goodies abound! Secondly we had outstanding service. After a bit of challenge between the Southern USA accent and French, help was brought in...What I would like to talk about is their salad.

It is tartare of fish (salmon for me) with slivers of fish spotted throughout the dish. Eating this salad was like a treasure hunt...wow a bit of grilled eggplant, wow a bit of edaname, wow a mushroom, wow what tomatoes, perfectly fried purple potato chips. slivers of asparagus and all mixed with mesclun greens that felt and tasted like greens picked from the floor of heaven. I was dubious about the anchovy dressing and I was so wrong...light delicious and a perfect balance to the treasure hunt, I feel I might be searching for a recipe of this dressing for the rest of my life.

2  Thank Chandler C