“Excellent but very pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Epuisette

L'Epuisette
Ranked #13 of 2,111 Restaurants in Marseille
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent but very pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked this restaurant many months ago and were rewarded with a fantastic table overlooking the ocean. My review is very similar to many of the others; great service, (although very slow, and excruciatingly slow when it came to getting the bill); great food, great atmosphere etc. I was however a little thrown by the bouillbaise; I expected a tomato based fish soup with saffron, fennel etc with a variety of fish, mussels, prawns etc, but what we got was a fish soup (quite delicious) with a variety of just fish. No doubt my knowledge of bouillbaise is limited and this was the 'real thing' but I have to say I was dissapointed and actually thought that there was another course to follow with a greater variety of seafood.

The dessert was fabulous and I would put my disappointment in the main down to my ignorance perhaps??

The wine list was impressive but expensive.

1 Thank Eleanor C

“Great location with great food though not cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We ordered in advance the Bouillabaisse which was delicious. No need to order a starter when you have the bouillabaisse as it is more than enough. We asked a table near the window with a very nice view. When there is more sun it would probably be even better. The service is very good though some small errors in taking and presenting the dishes (wrong side taking the dishes away) though not disturbing. We had a great sommelier, sympathetic, friendly and with great knowledge. Beautiful bottle of Meursault.
After that I had the cheese. I always like it a lot when t is presented on a cart so you can choose what you want.
This restaurant is not cheap and I was surpised it was possible to place the coats on the backs of the chair which in my eyes does not fit the possibilities of this restaurant. The people present were not dressed properly but this is a personal thing and maybe it is something from Marseille or the typical Marseille tourist. When we left (and left a decent tip) we were not escorted or given a decent "thank you" which is bad. Therefore a good qualification instead of an excellent one. Service should be improved especially when taking the prices into account. Could easily be improved when stricter management would be in place here.
Beware when coming with your car. We left the adapter of the iPhone in our car and our window had been smashed when returning. So do not leave anything in your car here!

1 Thank RichardBeij
Paris, France
“Number 1 in location, probably also in Bouillabaise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The restaurant sits on a ledge on the ocean (ignore the maps that show it inland), and the view from the dining room is a glass wall on the rocky shore, the islands (including the d'IF of Monte Cristo fame), the sea, and the other shore - just panoramic. So consider going for lunch when the sun is up, as opposed to dinner when the sun is down.

All the guidebook and websites put it in the top rank for view and bouillabaise, and the other TripAdvisor competitors lose the view competition in my book.

An amuse bouche and aperitif later, we ordered a nice Condrieu off the wine list (about twice retail), and of course we had the bouillabaise. It came first as a soupe de poisson, then came the platter of fish, then boned fish with soupe. Along with the requisite sauces an croutons.

I thought the broth superb, and the fish looked a bit small, but yielded as much fillet as I could eat . The soupe seemed to be unlimited. Very nice, and we were glad we had followed the waiter's advice and skipped any entree.

The white and black chocolate dessert was spectacular, as was a macaroon dessert, though I hardly know how to describe them. Exceptional mignardise.

2 Thank svnr2000
Sint-Joris-Winge, Brabant, Belgium
“Magnificent Taste and View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The restaurant has a very special location, on the rock next to the Mediterranean sea, actually partly above the water. You see through a glass floor in the restaurant the see below your feet!
We sat in the back with the magnificent view to the old bridge, boats, rocks an sea.
We selected a fix menu with wines. The dishes were special and excellent, fit totally in the current higher level of gastronomy. The taste concept of each dish was excellent. In the dessert, the smell of the typically perfume of soaps of Marseille was integrated which was delicious experience!
Also the glasses, coffee cups, were all very special. This restaurant is a real star (one Star Michelin) restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Peter B
New York City, New York
“Memorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant combines a stunning site with excellent seafood cuisine
The dining room is on a rock jutting out at sea and packs of waves splash the bay windows when the wind blows.A great sight during the day.
The food is excellent,the wine list extensive and the service attentive
Of course it does not come cheap

• Visited March 2013