“Hard to find but hard to leave”
Review of Justin de Provence

Justin de Provence
Ranked #4 of 7 Orange B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Hard to find but hard to leave”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

It took a while to find it not having a GPS but once we did we fell in love with it. Upon arrival Isabelle met us and gave us a grand tour of the property. An artist whose studio is nearby, It was obvious that her style was on everything in sight. What was a traditional farmhouse and stables has been painstakingly remodeled into a stylish turn of the century country beaux arts manor house. A nice touch was the guest kitchen where we prepared and served a Provencal meal on the beautiful lit patio overlooking the gardens of the home. Another nice touch was the petit bar adjacent to the patio we could partake of the fully stocked bar on the honour system. It couldn't have been more comfortable. The rooms are large, airy and bright. Bathrooms are modern with very good water pressure and plenty of hot water. We didn't have a chance to use the pools or the hamman on this trip. Maybe next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Wiesloch
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed for two nights here and had a very restful time. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hamman and had a lovely breakfast and dinner there. The owner is very charming and helpful. My daughters 16 and 13 also enjoyed themselves and had a great time in their room.
Having read some of the reviews I was a bit sceptical but realise that everyone has different ideas. We didn't notice any traffic or TGVs only birdsong. Orange is a small town but the ampitheatre is amazing and worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Located just outside Orange, this old farmhouse is situated in the middle of peaceful farmland. From looking at the photo album in the house, one can see that this couple lovingly restored this to make it the stunning B&B it is today. The room we stayed in on the ground floor was huge, with doors leading out on to a beautiful terrace. It also had air conditioning which was essential in the summer. There is a bar with a stunning terrace overlooking the fields, and an honesty book for you to write in when you help yourself to drinks. Breakfast is served in the beautiful courtyard, and the food was great. They don't offer dinner, but there is a lovely place called Le Petit Patio in Orange which is well worth a visit. The swimming pool, with views of the farmhouse and fields is spotless and it also has a jacuzzi bit to it. For winter visits there is a beautiful indoor pool and a Hammam. The B&B has a rustic feeling to it throughout and is very well maintained. We only stayed for one night, and we wished that we had stayed for a week! The hosts were delightful, although communication was tricky at times with our pigeon-French! We couldn't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
new york, NY
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I decided to write a review of Justin de Provence after seeing some negative reviews. I stayed at Justin in April, 2008, with my partner, for my birthday/Rhone Valley wine country trip.

In short, we LOVED justin de Provence. First of all, it is such a lovely place; it is an epitome of a French country garden/home. The place is gorgeous! The room we stayed in was spacious and beautifully decorated, as was the entire property. There is a pool and jacuzzi as well as a beautiful garden to hang out in. The kitchen, while small, is well stocked with all necessary cutlery, dishes, etc. The breakfast is served in a wonderful dining room, and the pastries and preserves were among the best I've had in a B&B; yes, even in France. But the best thing about Justin de Provence is the service. It is evident that the innkeeper (I forget her name, but she is quite lovely and speaks English well, which was a blessing for me since my French is pretty basic) loves her place and her job. She told us about the area and offered to take us along when she went to the fresh produce market. In fact, she came and got us in the middle of the night in Orange because we weren't able to find her place on the night that we were supposed to check in.

I look forward to going back to Justin de Provence. Next time, I am planning to bring my family and friends and stay there for a few week and enjoy the beautiful house and the area.

P.S. The general area (within driving distance) has a lot of amazing little villages with wonderful regional wines. Chateaneuf-du-Pape, Sablet and Gigondas were our faves, both for their (sometimes crumbling) architectural beauty and for their wines. But there are lots and lots of such small villages that are just breath-taking. I would definitely venture out to these areas and enjoy the Provence in all its country glory.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Guildford, UK
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at J de P last June on a recommendation of a family friend who had stayed here some time ago. We stayed in their most expensive room for a long weekend and had high expectations of the place. We met the man of the house- and is wife was on holiday - so he was running the show.
Overall the place was OK - but seriously overpriced. We agree with other recent travellers - that standards have obviously dropped here and they are riding on the back of previous fame and repeat business.
Breakfast was only OK - the crossiants bought the day before were a tad stale.
Our room wasn't ready when we went to check in - and we weren't offered a complimentary drink while waiting.

All in all, we wont be returning - there are far nicer places to spend our hard earned cash on.

• Liked — the roll top bath in the bedroom
  • Disliked — cleanliness - had to ask for clean towels on our arrival
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank champagne1000
Essex
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We went to Justin de provence expecting great things and what looked great in the photos on the website looked shall we say very tired.
This is one place that is not good value at 180 Euros per night. At maybe 90 Euros per night it would have been acceptable. We actually visited a beautiful hotel for dinner at a hotel in a nearby village that was priced at 160 Euros per night and it was imaculate. The restuarant there was also very good.
But, sitting down for a continental breakfast at Justin de Provence is not exactly peaceful with a nearby military airport and the TGV screaming by on the other side is is not very quite.
The pool was also dirty and while I was hot and longing for a swim I could not risk my health. The bar was also full of old cigarette butts ans smelled horrible. You cannot get food here unless it's breakfast. There is a kitchen you can cook in but also a very smelly one at that.
While i am not here to put the place down I do want to make sure that if you do pay 180 a nigtht then you know what you are in for.
Would I stay here again. Never. There are far more options. The local city Orange is also a little rough if oyu are taking a family and there are few good places to eat. The traffic is absoluteley shocking too so never pass through or you will be caught for a half hour at least.
Get some mossi cream or spray as there are the local mossies to deal with but they are not so bad.
So, I hope this has helped you in deciding where to stay.

Safe travels.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VEJ80
Oregon
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at Justin de Provence with my parents on a whim. Since it was a slow season they were able to accommodate me with the perfect suite. I am now an inn keeper in Oregon and I base a lot of my work off of the experience I had there. The entire Chateau was stunningly restored with a Moroccan indoor pool to die for. It was truly a quite and serene B&B with all of the extra amenities that one can only hope for. The steam room was the perfect way to relax after a long run around the country side. Fresh croissants and yogurt were our desires every morning and they greeted us promptly and on time. The outdoor self serve bar was quite the favorite for my parents and it was stocked of all of the local and popular liquours. The guest kitchen was the best perk. After spending a day in museums and at local farmers markets we were able to cook a light but delicious meal in a kitchen that was prepared to cook anything. I only hope that I can go there again one day, I hope you will enjoy it as much as me and my family did. Cheers!

• Liked — The location in the countryside
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay longer
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)