“We just looked from the outside”

Roman Theatre of Orange
Book In Advance
More Info
$81.84*
and up
Orange and Châteauneuf-du-Pape Small-Group Day...
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Orange
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built under Emperor Augustus in the 1st century AD, the Roman Theatre of Orange experienced a real rebirth in 2003, transporting visitors back to Imperial Rome. The new tour and the free audioguide in seven languages tell visitors about the shows and social life in the Provencal city during Roman times. In the new projection room, the film, with computer-generated images and reconstructions of shows, retraces the history of the Roman Theatre of Orange.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I think the place might be a bit more impressive at night. There are still shows going on here these days.

1  Thank SiQu
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)
All reviews
"antiquity"
"colosseum"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We greatly enjoyed our visit to the roman theatre, accompanied by the dutch speaking audio guide and illustrative films on site. Even our kids (9 and 12) were fascinated by the stories and historic setting for hours!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

This was a fantastic surprise for us on a chance visit. It is, however, well worth taking a detour to Orange if you have any interest in Roman theatres. We took audio guides and found it simply extraordinary. Go!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Today we drove back roads about 70 miles from our gite in Sauve to Orange to explore their Roman theater, one of only three Roman theaters in the world that still has it's skene structure behind the stage still in tact. The skene is where props and painted backgrounds were stored and also served to enhance acoustics during performances.

The theater in Orange is so well preserved and so large it has been designated a World Heritage site. I climbed to the top level of the ancient seating and managed to get some pretty exceptional panoramic photographs as well as normal images too. There was additional seating above my vantage point that had been added in modern times but I thought I had pushed my luck far enough. The steps I used were very worn in the center and you couldn't help wonder what famous Roman had climbed those same steps all those centuries ago.

Our admission ticket included a very informative short film about the history of the theater. It was built during the 1st century CE, an era known as the Augustan period. In fact, a statue of an imperial Caesar was standing in a niche in the center of the skene. My friends told me the audio guide said it was probably originally Augustus but as the centuries came and went the heads of successive emperors were traded for the original.

You notice I mentioned that my friends told me what the audio guide said. I rarely want to hassle an audio guide when I am already dealing with cameras and camera bags. Besides, as a photographer I am constantly frustrated by what I call audio guide zombies. Some people with audio guides invariably plant themselves in front of an exhibit and zone out staring at the floor with a little drool running out of the corner of their mouths. They remain rooted to the spot until they've heard every last word the guide has to say in spite of the fact that they are blocking the view for everyone else. Of course I'm exaggerating about the drool but you get the idea. I've mentioned this to my friends so today when they went to get their audio guides I called after them and said "Remember, no drooling!!" Of course they laughed, knowing what I meant.

I have been fortunate to have visited Roman theaters in Pompeii, Ostia Antica and Verulamium (modern day St. Albans in England) but this theater was by far the most spectacular I have ever seen! I encouraged one of my traveling companions who has been taking operatic singing lessons to try out the acoustics and he sang a few bars before his embarrassed daughter shushed him! The sound quality was amazing! It must be a real treat for the locals to attend modern performances there!

3  Thank mharrsch
See more reviews
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you see only one Roman ruin in the triangular area of Arles-Avignon-Neimes it should be the Theatre Antique d'Orange. It's an amazing piece of architecture. Much of the original wall which was behind the stage and the stage area remains as well as the amphitheater. The acoustics are still marvelous and the theater is still being used. Be sure to get the audio guide which is included in the price of your admission. It is an in depth tour of the site but also includes extra material about the Roman theater, life in Ancient Rome and a number of related topics. We saw the 15 minute video at the end, but I'd suggest watching it before you start your self-tour. Your ticket also includes entry to a small museum close by. If your time is limited, I'd spend it on just the theater.

2  Thank Flatlander39