“Yes, yes, yes!”

Dining options: Reservations
Louisville
“Yes, yes, yes!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Like George L below, we just happened to notice the signs on the sidewalk which point up the alley. Then we liked the menu (and its prices). We were not disappointed with either the lasagne (8 euros) or the pepper steak (11 euros), and would be happy to eat there again. I don't know if the other customers were locals, but they were certainly all French.

• Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
“La Cantina - A True Find”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I found this restaurant only because there was a sign by the sidewalk pointing around the corner. Our curiosity led us to one of the best restaurants we could have hoped for. After eating the food, I remarked to my wife that I'd like to come back here every day until I had tried everything on the menu. That would probably take about 45 days. The entire menu can be read on two very large chalk boards on the wall. The dishes are listed by type of animal: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken or fish. There are also some Italian dishes and always a few daily specials. As other reviewers have said, this is the place for anything grilled. When we walked in, we could see several Bronzino being grilled and the smell was just fantastic. Choosing the meal can be tough since everything looks appealing. I ordered the eggplant casserole as an appetizer for two. The sauce tasted like the tomatoes were just picked from the vine. For my main course, I ordered the triple grill which had pork filet mignons, a beef sausage and a tripe sausage. All were great. While the room is called a grotto, the reality is that the room is simply dug out of the side of the hill that is also the home for a Roman amphitheater, used today for concerts and opera performances. The town is lovely but not a main tourist destination. However, it is easy a worthwhile stopover if you are traveling to Avignon and Aix en Provance. I'm ready to go back to both the town and the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Genuine open grills a speciality”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Not what we expected in Provence. A place where well cooked meat in an open grill is a speciality. Set in a cave it looks like it might be touristy but,not at all. The menu is not Provençal but instead focused on good cuts of meat. I had the andouillettes, a northern French speciality of trip sausage. Perfectly cooked on the grill with no fat. My wife's gambas were huge and succulent. The meal was so good, and so different from the standard tourist restaurants in Provence, that we returned the next night to have the same thing. I would recommend something from the grill, rather than something from the general menu, as this is clearly what they do best. Wine is also a strong point. A huge range of top local wines at fair prices (there is no cheap house wine), kept in perfect conditions in the cave setting. Service is with no frills, but with a smile. They don't pander to tourist needs but that's a good thing.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank stbernardus
Almere, The Netherlands
“A culinary delight”
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Provencale cuisine with Italian influences. We had the most delicious dinner in this lovely restaurant. We had a great steak and a filet mignon and both were cooked perfectly. The restaurant serves good vines and the prices are okay given the value you get. The staff was friendly and took the communication problems due to our language barrier with good humour (my French is horrible...)

Italy
“Good food and nice building!”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The restaurant is in a tiny road behind the beautiful Roman theatre, however very easy to reach on foot. The hall looks like a real ancient cave! It is really beautiful. With such a good ambiance I expected that the food wasn't the best, but I was wrong. I took the fish plate of "soupions" which was good, very big and not too expensive. My colleagues took the "gambas" (they said they were fresh and fully ok) and the meat filet which was served very well, with potatoes and vegetables.
We don't know French wines so it was difficult to choose from the rich list. We took the Lirac, the waiter said it was ok, and it was a good advice, it is a strong red wine but tastes good even with the "supions", maybe because they were cooked "à la provençale" with much butter and garlic, very tasty.
The only fault I remember of was that the "planchas" for cooking are near the tables, at customer's sight, which is good, but they smell very strong of fish and meat (of course...), so eating the dessert which such strong smell was not very pleasant.
However I really advice the eating experience and the atmosphere of this restaurant.

• Visited May 2012