“Beautiful setting for a true Provincial experience”

Hotel Les Bories & Spa
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Gordes
Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed here a couple of years ago and enjoyed it and the area so much we wanted to share our experience with some friends. As members of SLH we made our bookings through their website and requested the same room as previously. On arrival we were pleased to see that this was the case and that they had also upgraded our friends who had booked a standard room so we could be nearby each other.This enabled us to share our evening drinks and nibbles in our private garden settings and relive our experiences of the day travlleing around the Luberon area. The rooms were very well equipped, including a much appreciated refrigerator and clean with lovely Provencial decor. The pool and surrounds are fantastic in fact we were happy to spend one of our days just lazing around in the sunshine enjoying the gardens laden with lavender, herbs and flowers! (loved the juicy watermelon they passed around!)The breakfast which we ate outside on the balcony overlooking the Luberon, was lovely and we had an evening meal there one night and it was superb.Although it is not right in the village of Gordes, that's what we loved about it - we fely like we were in our own private villa in the country with a beautiful local village nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry67

Reviewed August 8, 2010

My girlfriend and I just got back from spending a week at Les Bories which is just outside of Gordes. I have stayed at various Small Luxury Hotels of the World for both business and pleasure, so I do have a pretty good perspective of what other Small Luxury Hotels offer. I booked a standard room on-line and granted I did not expect an upgrade since I knew we would be traveling at the height of when other Europeans would be traveling for vacation. However, even with a standard room , I expected more. We checked in late on a Friday night after a long day of traveling and sight seeing along the way from Nice. We were given Room #6 which is not in the hotel, but is in what is referred to as the "Country Farm House" part of the hotel. And that is exactly what it was. You have to walk on a dirt path to get to your room and you share an entry door with Room #5. If you are assigned either of these 2 rooms, ask for a change to another standard room. The first thing that greeted us were different varieties of flying French insects and millipedes because of the outside entry light that was left on. The room was very rustic and now what I expect when I stay at a SLH. The furniture was not very nice and it looked like it came from a thrift shop. The wood furniture in particular was heavily nicked and scratched. The room is quite small and the queen bed was really 2 twins pushed together. The room does not have central air and is air conditioned by a small unit above the door. And once you are in your room, you literally have to lock the door with the same key to open the door. Not very modern. Although the room was below average, I must say the rest of Les Bories is very nice and you cannot beat the location if you are traveling around Provence. The grounds are beautiful (except for the grounds outside of where we were staying; we were wondering when they would cut the grass) and the outside pool area is very nice. One word of caution. A glass of diet Coke at the pool cost $10. The breakfast buffet is very nice. Also, we did eat 1 night at the restaurant and I must say that it was the best dinner we had in Provence. We also ate at the La Bastide Restaurant and Les Bories was much better. As other people have noted, it is not an easy walk to Gordes. There is a foot path which goes from Les Bories to the parking lot at the bottom of Gordes. However, where good hiking shoes because it is quite the hike. Finally, service could be sporadic. I don't know how many times we asked for extra hangars or a wine opener and our request was simply ignored. Overall, I was disappointed with Les Bories compared to a number of other Small Luxury Hotels properties I have stayed at before.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luvs2CtheWorld
Reviewed June 12, 2010

So many of the Relais hotels in provence receive so many mixed reviews. If you are looking for best, and we have stayed in quite a few, Les Bories rates no. 1 with Ousteau de Baumaniere, Chateau de la Treyne near Souillac, and Le Prieuré near Avignon. All are extra special for different reasons. Ousteau Baumaniere is still one of France's extra special gourmet experiences right at Les Baux-de-Provence; Les Bories is located in a spectacular setting, with a beautiful spa, a great restaurants, and very comfortable de luxe rooms at the higher priced end - but well worth it if you want the best!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rod L
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This would be a formidably expensive hotel if arriving unbooked but through "YFB Holidays" we paid considerably less than the quoted room rate.
We found the hotel so excellent that can only think that your reviewer from Toronto confused her European hotels!
Room with West facing balcony and wonderful view looking toward Gordes. So often French hotels have small rooms, not this one we could have had a party in ours.
Service inpeccable and food just so French that one could never fault it. Although we were on a table d'hote menu with no choice we were always asked if there was anything we did not like and a substitute would be found, we only tested this once and still the food was marvellous. The menu was five courses long with the finest cheese board I have ever seen, the cheese waiter gives a long explanation of each one, all in French of course!
The hotel is about 2 kms out of Gordes and better for that as it has large grounds and a wonderful footpath to the town through the countryside. Then if one does not wish to walk back from Gordes, it is uphill all the way, just phone reception and the hotel car comes to collect you and this all at no extra charge!
The other guests, as is so often the way with the French kept themselves to themselves so it was the other Brits who sayed up late in the bar and socialised. The manager is Yorkshire but a Francophile who has an absolute insinct as to all his guests needs. The outdoor pool is one of the largest hotel pools I have seen and a considerable asset to the facilities.
The staff were all wonderful, friendly and helpful. It must be the Yorkshire manager's influence as there was none of the superciliousness often found in French hotels.
Anything to criticise? Well yes and that is the price of alcohol. I'm still naive enough to think that in a country of wine, where tax is much lower than in the UK wine should be cheaper than here. Unfortunately not so, no red wine was less than 40 euros (£38) a bottle and no white under 35 euros. Beer was 10 E. for a 33cl glass. They did not offer a house wine. Still it was good for my liver but they would sell more if drink prices were lowered.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotelchris
Reviewed July 22, 2009

After an extensive driving trip through Provence with very mixed accomodations we happened upon Les Bories. Over the phone I called one morning as we took to the road , requesting a room at the lowest rate. Checking in we were surprised to be escorted down a hallway to a wonderful room with large terrace and view over the hills. Knowing the rate must be higher than we requested but afraid something was lost in translation I quickly returned to the desk to be sure of the rate. The young woman said "It is a quiet time at the hotel-I hope you enjoy the room". They kindly extended that accomodation for us for two additional nights. Once settled I walked outside to the terrace but was drawn to a path that took me into the most fragrant field that turned out to be stacks of cut lavender. The frangrance was unlike any stimulation of the senses I had ever experienced. I dug into one haylike stack and pulled out branches of cut lavender, returned to the bath, placing the branches all around the tub where the fragrence filled the room the entire time we were there. From that day I have had an obsession with lavender! The visit was dreamlike. The gentle scent of all the garden herbs, swims in the warm sun, massages in the spa and the wonderful gourmet meals with one dessert that remains unmatched was flan three way-perfectly prepared custard in three separate columns, one with a hint of lavender, another with rosemary and the third with thyme.
As a result of our stay at Hotel Les Bories I fantasize on a regular basis about returning for the lavender festivals in the near future and to once more indulge in the luxury of this charming place!
Katie Self

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katieself
Reviewed June 24, 2009

A very friendly and clean hotel in a nice location but just a little too far out of Gordes. The food is typical nouvelle cuisine which one could find in any 4*/country house hotel in the UK. Guests on half board are offered a fixed 4 course menu(although one can request some modification to the food on offer).Main courses consist of 3 slices of meat or a small piece of fish with perhaps one potato and perhaps one carrot.The tables are very spacious and one eats outside in good weather. Prices for wine,water,coffee,snacks are very high.A mediocre bottle of wine being 35 Euros.Most prices for wine in the 40-50 Euro region.Tea is 6.50 Euro per person.Our room was spaciious and well equipped.The gardens are disappointing.There are 2 nice swimming pools,one inside.
Staff are helpful and there is an air of luxury but it does not feel very French.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2009

This is a wonderful location on a steep hillside above Gordes, providing wonderful views.Excellent amenitiesd, including indoor and outdoor pools, and superb food from a Michelin-starred chef. Spacious, well-equipped rooms. Pricey, but deals available through VFB.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevewshort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordes
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches
#8 of 23 in Gordes
Le Petit Palais d'Aglae
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Domaine de Fontenille

Been to Hotel Les Bories & Spa? Share your experiences!