Review Highlights
1.5 Years On, Still The Best French Learning Experience I've Ever Had!

It's been 1.5 years (I attended in June 2017) since my month at L'Institut de Francais, and I still... read more

Reviewed yesterday
KJF1981
Great location and school

I loved my month at L'Institute de Francias. Villefranche is a wonderful location, a small, quiet... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Randall H
California

Recommended experiences in and around Villefranche-sur-Mer
from $57.80
from $98.30
from $68.20
More Info
All reviews learn french four weeks learning experience fellow students immersion program speaking french language school total immersion beautiful location interesting people entire month anyone who wants french immersion studio apartment work hard won t final exam
Reviewed October 22, 2014

The people i met and got to know over the fours weeks/month i was there. And my French also improved. Awesome setting for this study - and wow!! Diplomats, business executives, great thinkers - and all their to improve their French. And, for some, to start from the very beginning!!

Date of experience: October 2014
8  Thank Marion P
Reviewed October 18, 2014

The best and toughest experience I've had in a long time. Certainly as difficult as grad school. The big plus is the diverse group of people that are in each class. The quality of instruction is top notch and the food is to die for. I have not had such a challenge, laughed so hard and met more nice people and ate so well in my adult life. I'm retired and doing this course just to do it, most were there for their jobs. People from all over the World were in all the classes. Absolutely worth the money and the Institut itself is just magnificant.

Date of experience: October 2014
12  Thank Michael C
Reviewed October 18, 2014

I have just returned from my 4th French immersion course at the Institut de Francais. Again it has been the highlight of my experience with the French language.
A lot has been said about the wonderful location of the school which is absolutely true but for me the most important part of my stay was the excellent methode of teaching the spoken French by expert teachers who's dedication to bring out the best in each pupil is second to none. Frederic Latty, the Executive Assistant, deserves a special mention, his charming and engnaging manner made him an absolute pleasure to deal with. Of course I will not forget my wonderful Professor Jean Segarra who had to put up with me 4 times over the years and has managed to bring me up to a very satisfactory level of the French language with is encouragement, patience and great sense of humour. THANK YOU.
If you are serious about learning to speak French in a warm and welcoming atmosphere, the Institut de Francais should be your first choice!

Date of experience: September 2014
13  Thank Julia28112014
Reviewed October 8, 2014

I happened upon these Trip Advisor comments about Institut de Français. Finally, after 7 years, I feel vindicated to read a couple of honest reviews about this school. Comment by TexR echos my experience and observations completely, and it was written 7 years after I attended which indicates that the school/management/food etc. hasn't changed. They have created a caché around their name that draws the "who's who" and yet my experience was that the school here did not advance my ability to speak or understand the language.
It rather caused me such anxiety that it was more a set-back. It is expensive. It is spartan and very institutional lacking in any warmth or convenience and yes, the language lab technology is antiquated. The method of teaching leaves much to be desired.
There are better schools in France and better ways to learn the language. It fell way below my expectations, honestly. I would never consider returning there except to visit lovely Villefranche-sur-Mer which I did in 2011.

Date of experience: November 2013
36  Thank designtravels
Reviewed September 7, 2014

I enjoyed my first time at the institute so much that I came back for a second session the following year. I enjoyed the second session so much that I came back for a third session this year! Over the three sessions my French improved dramatically. I started at an intermediate level and ultimately progressed to the most advanced level. The school uses a time-tested methodology that emphasizes everyday conversation and the practical use of the language. The professors are not only excellent teachers but also warm and delightful people, which I think is one of the key reasons the program is so successful. The students are an interesting, diverse and intellectually curious lot, ranging in age from 20s to 80s and coming from all over the world and from all walks of life. Many students form lifelong friendships at the institute.
In addition to the daily classroom activities, there are optional activities such as watching and discussing films, watching and discussing the morning newscasts, going on excursions, joining your fellow students at dinners, etc., all of which offer more interaction with the language and contribute greatly to the learning process.
The school itself is set in a stunning location in the hills of Villefranche-sur-Mer, one of the most beautiful towns in a very special part of the world, with a view of the bay, Cap Ferrat and the Mediterranean beyond. The institute lines up apartments for the students -- you can also rent privately but I've always secured my apartment through the school. Every apartment I've had has been convenient, clean, extremely comfortable and equipped with wi-fi and cable tv.
In the evenings you're free to have dinner on your own or with classmates, and on weekends you have the entire French Riviera at your disposal. It's a ten-minute bus ride to Nice with its museums (Matisse and Chagall, for starters) and great beaches and nightlife, and an easy train ride to Antibes, Cannes and points beyond. One Sunday in May I went to Cannes during the film festival and the people-watching was memorable indeed. In the other direction from Villefranche are Cap Ferrat, Beaulieu-sur-Mer, Eze and Monaco just to name a few.
As many of the previous reviewers have said, attending the institute is indeed an amazing and unique opportunity. There's no better way and no better place to learn a foreign language. Thanks to M. Colbert and his talented and personable staff of administrators and teachers and support staff -- Frédéric, Elisabeth, Bruno, Sylvie, Jean, Julian, Natalie and many others for such a wonderful experience (three times, no less!). A la prochaine --

Date of experience: May 2014