“Basic biut clean”

Hotel Riviera
Lancashire
“Basic biut clean”
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We found the Hotel very basic but clean. The hotel is situated between two busy roads and looks very grubby from the outside although continently placed for the 100 bus from Nice and the Tourist Information Office.
We were not aware of any outside space, breakfast was served in a quite pleasant breakfast room. Plenty of pastries and fruit juices, yogurts etc but coffee was horrible.
Bedroom overlook dull inside courtyard, was small, with en-suite bathroom and again kept clean and had a comfortable big bed. Air-con seemed to work well.
Noise for us was a problem and seemed to carry throughout the floors. Staff seemed pleasant enough, but don’t buy a drink at the bar very, very expensive.
So if you are looking for a town centre ‘bolt-hole’ rather than somewhere to spend some of your day this hotel could be for you.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oslo
Reviewed December 6, 2006

I would not recommend this hotel at all, unless you are simply looking for a place to crash. It is clean and safe, however. I booked through a French agency. Hotel Riviera did not answer any e-mails, and although i called to confirm my reservation, I did not get the room with a sea view that I booked. They don't seem to understand their own booking system, and they make you feel stupid. My room was situated by the street, it was incredibly noisy, and for breakfast they serve heated frozen rolls even though there is a great bakery around the corner. And canned fruit and coffee from a machine. Not very exciting. They told me they had a wifi Internet connection, but it didn't work. They said it would be fixed, but it didn't happen.

I moved down the street to the Hotel Provencal (I give Riviera credit for letting me cancel the remaining reservation duration without hassle), which was charming and wonderful and made the visit to Villefranche successful after all.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Klptaniko

Travelers are raving about these Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels

Toronto
Reviewed November 14, 2006

This was a really nice hotel in Villefranche sur mer. Bedroom was a good size, the bathroom was clean, but small (like most places in France). The view was very good - we asked for ocean view, we got it. It is a little bit of a hike to get to the hotel from the train station, so I would recommend taking the bus from Nice's Gare Routière.

If you are flying in, take the bus from the airport to Gare Routière. You can use the same ticket to continue to Villefranche sur mer. Get off at the Octroi bus stop and walk up in the same direction as the bus. You will come to a fork, take the left fork and the hotel is right there. This walk takes about a minute.

Another advantage is this hotel is close to the tourism office. You can pick up maps and get information about nearby sights. I would definitely return to this hotel, if I went back to Villefranche.

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — It's a ten minute walk on a steep slope from the waterfront.
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the bus from Nice
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Toronto_and_beyond
North Bristol, UK
Reviewed September 25, 2006

My freind and I have just returned from our stay in this hotel. We booked it through Planigo and booked 2 double rooms with breakfast. Upon arrival at the hotel they told me they had only one double room booked and said the hotel was full. I showed them my paperwork of my booking which they said they had no idea where the rate came from that I paid. There is a room tariff on the wall and it was in black and white that they matched. They said the tariff was old and had been updated. After talking to Planigo as well on the phone we realised that we couldn't dispute this any further until back in the UK which i am doing now. Hotel staff were unfriendly, and didn't care about our stay at all. Hotel room was scruffy and small, old and worn out. We were told we would get moved to a larger twin room and the next day they denied they had said that. Breakfast was awful, far to basic and not enough. Not a hotel i would recommend to anyone. Have stayed in better 1 star hotels. Next time I shall stay in Monaco where the hotels there are much friendlier and the room rates are accurate.

• Liked — Cleanliness was the only thing that was good.
  • Disliked — Old, tatty, unfriendly
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don't go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leeca
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Our first time to Europe and on our honeymoon we really didn't have any idea what we were getting into. We decided to save Villefranche for the last part of our trip and so glad we did.

The town itself is awesome and great area for being more romantic, but the Hotel Riveria was a perfect place to stay.

First, when we got there they did not have our reservations but they did get us another perfect room with a bay view. The rooms are not huge, but it really doesn't matter unless you have tons of luggage. There was a balcony outside with a great view of the surrounding area.

What made this place great was it's location. Only about 5 min walk to the beach. Right downstairs to the left is the post office and laundry place. To the right is a great pizza place, drycleaners, and hair salon. Right across the street on the corner is a great little supermarket to get your water (trust me you need this) and some bread or fruits. Right next to this is a great little pastry shop for great foods.

About a 3 min walk takes you to the dining area right in front of the bay. Also right next to the shopping area and bus stop.

So you can see, very, very convenient. The staff was very helpful and every morning they brough up our breakfast which we ate outside on the balcony.

Just in case you need things to do, the tourist office is right across the street from the supermarket and they will help you out big time.

The people are great in this town and the food is amazing...sometimes pricey but very good. I recommend eating at Cosmo's for great dishes and drinks. And if you get a chance, catch the ferry that leaves for a 2 hour tour taking you all the way to Monaco and back...it's definitely worth it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not much
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at Cosmo's
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SolutionsKid
San Francisco
Reviewed July 18, 2006

We loved this little hotel in central Villefranche. It's conveniently located if you can say that; Villefranche is all about steep hills, roads, steps and stairs, in other words nothing I'd recommend for the child carrying community or if you have bad legs...The hotel is clean, had great breakfast, lovely view of the bay over the tiled rooftops from the "view mer" rooms and friendly, fun staff. I'll never forget the beautiful chime of the churchbells and the swallows and seagulls flying in circles every morning outside our room. Rooms have AC and are relatively soundproof, it's a great value for a 2 star hotel in a magnificent spot on the Cotes d'Azur!

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Plumesie
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2006

This is a wonderful hotel! We had such an amazing time in Ville Franche sur Mer, and this hotel is a perfect place to stay. The breakfast buffet in the morning is delicious and has a full variety of things to eat. The owner, Alberto, who also works at the front desk is extremely friendly and helpful, gives great advice about what to do, where to go and where to eat! One restaurant he recommended which everyone should visit is called l'Echallot, Monique and her husband own and run it and it is exquisite! He cooks upstairs while she serves downstaris...treat yourselves its worth it! Go find Alberto at hotel Riviera and tell him a couple he met in july 2004 from Arizona sent you!

• Stayed July 2004