“One of the better options in town”
Review of Hotel de la Darse

Hotel de la Darse
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, and were very happy with our choice. We stayed in a room facing the port with a balcony, which was worth the extra cost. Our room was simple and clean. I did see into a few other rooms and preferred the one we had, which had all ceramic tile floors, and nicer bedspread ( my opinion). It's a simpler place than we normally stay but it fully served the purpose here.

The ladies at the front desk were nice and able to answer any questions we had. However, you should know that the front desk is not staffed all the time, so if you leave early in the morning, there will be no one there to help if you should need.

We tried the breakfast one morning and didn't like it. I need a good cup of coffee in the morning and the one out of this machine just didn't do it. Also, one of the croissants was not fully baked in the centre, and I prefer baguette to the buns they provide. The next morning we walked to Cosmos for breakfast and for 7.50 we had a small yogurt, good coffee, orange juice, and croissant.

We were able to find parking in front every day with no problems, however, I think this may be a challenge during busier times. The walk to the main hub of water front restaurants is 10 min., or you can drive and park there, but parking cost about 5 euro each time we went for dinner. I'm glad we stayed in a quieter part of town which was good for sleeping.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pernicketytraveler

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The location, rooms, and price were great! The view was a nice treat as well! We would definitely stay here again. We preferred Villefranche over Nice. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JasmineClark
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My parents have been recommending this hotel for some time but remembering when it was cheap and run down I found it hard to believe that could have changed so much. I have to admit I was entirely wrong! Refurbished inside and out it now seems like a much more expensive hotel, with the best location in Villefranche and right on the water. To be honest it puzzles me that it isn't at least double the price. Rooms are a decent size and the aircon really works, something that is almost unknown for less than £100 a night in France. I would be surprised if the cost of a sea view room doesn't soon rise substantially, as has happened at the Welcome, so stay in the Darse while you have the chance.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay the small extra amount for a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim W
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a recommendation. We had a balcony room with great views. I have based my assessment of this property on its 2* rating. It has been refurbished, very clean, quite & tucked away in the old port part of town, an easy 8 min walk in. For a 2* was a pleasant suprise, we believe good value and really enjoyed our 3 night stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed three beautiful nights in room 33 with a balcony overlooking the Harbor de la Darse. It was just the thing for winding down a hectic 21 day trip to the UK and Paris. The room was spotless and spacious and the bathroom with tub/shower was obviously recently renovated to a high standard. The staff speak perfect English and we received a very warm welcome. I wish we could have stayed for a month.

Just be advised that unless you are young and full of energy, the steep trek from the Octroi bus stop or 500 meters of dragging cases over cobbles from the TER rail station can be a real challenge. If however you have a rental car, there is a free car park directly below the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikey94510
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hotel Darse is a wonderful hotel in a great location overlooking the marina in Villefranche. It is also close enough to other areas along the cost such as Cap Ferrat.
Pros
* Very friendly and accommodating staff
* Room was very big for my family. My daughters had a bunk bed that they loved
* Very large balcony with a table and chairs that had a view of the sea and the marina
* Clean room with AC
* Hotel is next door to a great restaurant - L'Espace Trinquette. Food was great and there is also live music one night a week
* Great location and walk along the citadel wall into the center area of Villefranche

Cons
* Hotel does not have parking, but there is parking on the street. We came and went a few times and were lucky to find parking on the street next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the marina
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TCulotta
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a super time. Our room overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel, which is very pretty, lots of blossom & fruit trees. The hotel is very clean and the breakfasts are good continental standard. It is only about a 10 minute walk along the sea front to the restaurants. My only tiny complaint was the bedroom doors were very noisy when closing, so you could hear other guests coming and going. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends