“Astonishing value”
Review of Hotel de la Darse

and 1 more site!
Hotel de la Darse
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My parents have been recommending this hotel for some time but remembering when it was cheap and run down I found it hard to believe that could have changed so much. I have to admit I was entirely wrong! Refurbished inside and out it now seems like a much more expensive hotel, with the best location in Villefranche and right on the water. To be honest it puzzles me that it isn't at least double the price. Rooms are a decent size and the aircon really works, something that is almost unknown for less than £100 a night in France. I would be surprised if the cost of a sea view room doesn't soon rise substantially, as has happened at the Welcome, so stay in the Darse while you have the chance.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay the small extra amount for a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim W
There are newer reviews for Hotel de la Darse

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a recommendation. We had a balcony room with great views. I have based my assessment of this property on its 2* rating. It has been refurbished, very clean, quite & tucked away in the old port part of town, an easy 8 min walk in. For a 2* was a pleasant suprise, we believe good value and really enjoyed our 3 night stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed three beautiful nights in room 33 with a balcony overlooking the Harbor de la Darse. It was just the thing for winding down a hectic 21 day trip to the UK and Paris. The room was spotless and spacious and the bathroom with tub/shower was obviously recently renovated to a high standard. The staff speak perfect English and we received a very warm welcome. I wish we could have stayed for a month.

Just be advised that unless you are young and full of energy, the steep trek from the Octroi bus stop or 500 meters of dragging cases over cobbles from the TER rail station can be a real challenge. If however you have a rental car, there is a free car park directly below the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikey94510
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hotel Darse is a wonderful hotel in a great location overlooking the marina in Villefranche. It is also close enough to other areas along the cost such as Cap Ferrat.
Pros
* Very friendly and accommodating staff
* Room was very big for my family. My daughters had a bunk bed that they loved
* Very large balcony with a table and chairs that had a view of the sea and the marina
* Clean room with AC
* Hotel is next door to a great restaurant - L'Espace Trinquette. Food was great and there is also live music one night a week
* Great location and walk along the citadel wall into the center area of Villefranche

Cons
* Hotel does not have parking, but there is parking on the street. We came and went a few times and were lucky to find parking on the street next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the marina
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TCulotta
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a super time. Our room overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel, which is very pretty, lots of blossom & fruit trees. The hotel is very clean and the breakfasts are good continental standard. It is only about a 10 minute walk along the sea front to the restaurants. My only tiny complaint was the bedroom doors were very noisy when closing, so you could hear other guests coming and going. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank europetraveller7211
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent two nights in this delightful hotel. Our room had a balcony facing the yacht basis and Cap Ferrat and was very attractive if simple inside. The bathroom was new. We were on the fourth floor which was quieter and gave us a better view and good exercise walking up and down; there is no elevator. The breakfasts were the best we had in three hotels on the Riviera, taken outside on the lovely terrace, and they were only 8.5 Euros. All in all this hotel was very good value. We enjoyed the short walk to town along the seawall below the citadel. It was nice to sleep away from the noise of the main square with the cruise tourists coming and going.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights after staying at a 5 start hotel in St. Tropez. I was a bit worried as to the standards of the hotel since it was a 2 start hotel, but the hotel was recommended to us. I have to say I was very impressed by this hotel. It is not fancy but a fantastic deal for what you get. It was only 84 Euros a night in a very nice area with a great balcony view of the harbor. The beds were comfortable, sheets soft and room very clean. It was a long hike up the stairs with my luggage but good for me after all the great French food in the area! I would absolutely recommend this hotel if you want to save some money and feel completely safe and clean. The only complaint would be that the walls are thin. We had very quite neighbors so it wasn't a problem for us. Also, check out the restaurant next door for some great French food and music.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and enjoy a coffee overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends