“Worth a visit if only for the views”

Les Musees de La Citadelle
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Villefranche was a port of call of a cruise we did last November in the Western Mediterranea ! At the Tourist Information Office we found out that there was a little train that toured the Old Part of the city every 45 minutes or so and that it started right outside the office . The cost was 7 euros and the capacity was around 20-25 people !
The first destination was La Citadelle where we were provided with some historical explanations in French and in English by the conductor and where we made a stop to take some pictures ! We then continued to visit the other part of the Old City and came back to our departure point about 30 minutes later !
The views from the Citadelle over the city and the sea and toward the inland are breathtaking ! I then decided to walk back from the port to the Citadelle to visit this area of Villefranche in more details ! It is a steep walk and even though it was a perfect location for picture taking , I was disappointed by the lack of informations about the Citadelle and the town in general . The museums may be of interest but I did not have the time to visit any as my wife was waiting for me in the port area ! Maybe next time as this port is getting more popular with cruiselines .

1  Thank belleretraite
There are newer reviews for Les Musees de La Citadelle

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have visited Villefranche and the citadelle several times, and I always enjoy coming back here. There are so many aspects to this attraction - history and art in the museums, secret garden, beautiful view and the architecture of the citadelle itself. In addition, there is a wonderfull art exhibit every year during the second weekend of September that I always try to see.

2  Thank baltojo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Amazing views of the town around the Citadelle. Personally I love historic buildings and the amount of work that went into the construction. The Citadelle has the added benefit of also being the home for the artwork of Volti which is one of my favorite artists.

2  Thank Obie_Oberholster
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Villefranche-sur-Mer is a small town with a breathtaking waterfront and expensive restaurants facing the sea. Unless you're going to the beach or taking a leisurely lunch you'll see everything in less than 2 hours so be sure to visit the fort. It was constructed high above the harbor and from it you have spectacular views of the horseshoe bay, one of the few deepwater locations along the Bord de Mer for cruise ships. You'll see great views of the town and beach and above the beach watch the trains heading to Nice and Monaco. The Citadelle is free and contains a small museum with military memorabilia. Through deeply cut windows in the thick wall you can look out at the ships and imagine at one time they could have been filled with attacking enemy troops. A wonderful place for children of all ages.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It was my first time in Villefranche and it was wonderful! The Citadelle is just amazing, there were a splendid garden and an open air theatre! The view from there is beautiful and there are some musees really interesting in it! It is really close to the town and beaches !

2  Thank chrissya88