“Very comfortable hotel up in the hills”

Hotel Cantemerle Spa & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Vence
Dorking
“Very comfortable hotel up in the hills”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We booked a suite with two bedrooms and bathrooms and a terrace for three of us to share. It was very good as you expect from a hotel in this price bracket. The welcome was friendly at reception and efficient, and the bar staff and restaurant staff were very good in a nice casual way, with a nice sense of humour when the moment was right. A lovely pool - we didn't use the spa area. Plenty of safe and secure parking. We ate in the restaurant and it was very good - no it isn't cheap but this is the south of France after all - we didn't feel that we hadn't had good value for money with the meal. We would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in June and it is a tranquil pretty setting. Pool is lovely, attractive gardens too. We had a duplex room which was great for 2 people. It led straight out onto the gardens and pool. We didn't eat at the hotel as we thought the prices were extremely high. We didn't have breakfast there, as it is not included in the bill and is 18 euros per person. Not sure what it includes but I wasn't hungry enough to warrant that much! We had a few drinks on the terrace and were surprised at the prices 7 euros for a cappuccino. Gym is very small. Staff very helpful, room clean and well-equipped. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Go for the more spacious duplex room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

With only 27 rooms & excellent food, this small hotel with stunning views towards Nice was a very relaxing environment to spend a long weekend. Staff dealt with our queries professionally - make sure you book evening meals beforehand and do check which evenings they're playing live music as it's on the terrace where you eat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Duplex room with a terrace overlooking the pool, which felt more spacious than a norm...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SSpeake
Nice, France
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I'm writing this review from the hotel as we speak. The internet is very slow and there is very limited coverage in my suite.
This hotel's level of service is no where close to what the reviews claim. I wish i went with my gut instinct to book on the Promenade des Anglais which provided the same rates in a better as location.

I went on their website and found that they had a "Last Minute Booking" option which entitles the customer to 30 - 40% off. This was very attractive. After 15 minutes of searching through other hotels in the area I decided to select this one and when returning to their website, i found the offer was no longer available. So I decided to call them from my Canadian mobile number as I am here on vacation.

I spoke to a friendly lady who mentioned that the only rooms available were the Suites and the starting price was 530 euros a night. I asked her twice if she was sure about the rate and she said yes. I then informed her that on the website the same room was showing for 40% off (she conveniently wasn't informed of this promotion). She then said "one moment, let me speak to my supervisor".. Within 10 seconds she was back on the phone and she was aware of this promotion.
The rate was now 300 euros per night. She asked me how many people to which I responded "Three people." She replied by saying "Ok two people", to which I then corrected her and said "No, three people."

Upon arriving at the hotel we noticed the staff is limited and she was the only person there at the desk to check me in. It's sad that even with such a small number of staff, they find it hard to keep track of their own online promotions.
Initially when i called to make my reservation, I asked her what the checkout time would be and she said 11am. I then asked if I could have a later checkout to which she said the best she could do was 2pm.

It took us one whole hour to get to the hotel from the central part of Nice(the Promenade Des Anglais) that too with no traffic. The hotel is in an old town which seemed quite deserted at night.
Upon arriving at the hotel we noticed that it's was a fairly old looking structure. The lady at the desk was expecting me (Julie) and knew my name on arrival.

Things seemed to be ok until Julie then notifies me that she had tried calling me. I was confused as I'd just spoken to her an hour before and confirmed our booking and told her we would be there shortly. She mentioned she had been trying to contact me to inform me that the rate was now an additional 50 euro (thus totalling 350 euro) as she had made a mistake over the phone.
Since I had already reached and it was already to late to turn around (10pm), I accepted the 15% rate increase with no complaints.
She charged me the 350 euro and provided me with key cards and five wifi access codes, as the three of us had several online devices (iPhones, laptops etc).

After reading many of the good reviews on the restaurant, I enquired about the restaurant closing time. Julie informed me that the restaurant closes at 1030pm and the time now was 1015pm. I asked her if it was possible to get room service since they weren't seating anyone at the restaurant. She said she'd look into that and she proceeded to show me a tour of the room.
The room was really spacious. The suite had two double beds, a couch, and one big master bed upstairs as well. It was obvious we would be very comfortable in this room being a party of three guests. Julie gave a great tour of the room, her english was excellent, and she was polite and friendly.

After the room tour, I let Julie know that it was fine and that we would like to take our bags inside. The chef from the restaurant then came up to speak to me directly which was great as far as service goes. He informed me that since it was so late they could only serve us salad for dinner. We accepted and were grateful they would serve us at such a late hour. The food came really fast and was one of the best salads i've ever had.

In the middle of our dinner at 1045pm, the phone in the room rang (which we found rather odd due to the time). I picked up the phone and it was Julie on the line. At first I thought they were calling to see if everything was ok with the room, unfortunately Julie had some bad news and she wanted to notify me that the room rate of 350 euro was for 2 people and not 3.

I found this very strange as before she had called me, I had clearly told her I needed 5 internet vouchers as there was 3 of us, I also ordered 3 salads in front of her and I told her that my fiancé and brother were in the car with the luggage. Over the call she stated that I told her it was two people but after i reminded her that I ordered food for three in front of her, and that she gave me five internet vouchers she quickly took back her comment and said "yeah you did tell me three people."

Then the Director came on the phone and told me that the rate that Julie charged me was incorrect and it would need to increase further. I answered by asking to what it would be changed to with an angry tone as at this point I was feeling really frustrated and mislead.
He sensed my angry tone and Julie came back on the line and said in the morning they would let me know what my rate would change to.

I hung up the phone as it was now 11pm and i didn't want to deal with any more price increases or games. Even as i type this, I have no clue as to what the final room rate will be tomorrow morning as up to this point i have only been mislead with the wrong information as they kept switching their asking rate from 530 euro, to promotion rate of 300 euro to 350 euro to now some new variable rate that will be decided by them tomorrow. I have no idea at this point if my rate will be 600euro tomorrow or more!

I don't know what i'm in for. But this is the unprofessional nature of this hotel and how they attempt to maximise their profits through exploiting foreign customers like myself. I bet if I was a local here there would be a lot less confusion and a lot more clear communication.
In conclusion I must say the rooms, and food are definitely above 4 star here. It's sad that to go along with this they play games with the rates.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank chrisf199
, Manager at Hotel Cantemerle Spa & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
We truly regret the bad experience you had over the price of the room. We never wished to cause you distress and completely understand the discomfort we caused you. The error is with us, there was an internal confusion due to a lack of communication on this particular matter between the evening receptionist, myself the director and marketing who was no longer at the hotel for it was after her working hours. We sincerely apologies for our lack of clarity over your room price, it was not intentional and certainly not personal.

We are committed to the well-being of all our clients. Over the years we have built many strong and trusting relationships with our clientele and have a high proportion of repeat customer. For us the most rewarding part of our job is happy clients.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A little hidden jewel, just the right size to feel almost at home. A beautiful garden with a pretty pool on top of a hill, a charming and delicious little restaurant, and large, pretty and super clean bedroom. The warm welcome of the owner ended up convinving us, what else to ask for ? We had a wonderful stay and look forward to go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pounatz
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Was desperately needing a getaway from an appalling summer in Paris so was very much looking forward to this trip courtesy of a last minute deal. Usually with such high expectations, that there would be some letdown. Not all, the hotel surpassed expectations. The room was lovely, incredibly clean. The location delightful (yes it's a 10 minute walk to town but with some lovely views on the way back). The service attentive, the pool great. A few pointers ... The room service menu is a bit limited and expensive for what it is but agin, just walk into Vence itself and you can find decent places where you can order a bowl of pasta for 10 euros. The choice of English language channels on the TV is limited to just BBC 1; not that one comes to the south of France to watch TV but would suggest to the management to access a cable service that offers a better range especially since most French households these days have a wide choice of channels (domestic and international). A warning there is no actual on site beautician or masseuse so you do need to book in advance but having said that, I had one of the best massages ever.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Gaminechick
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My family and I had a relaxing and enjoyable stay at Hotel Cantemerle for 10 days. We had availed of their Gourmet Provence offer which includes breakfast and 4-course dinner for 2. The dinners served were EXCELLENT!

Location: What we really liked about the place is that it is in the outskirt of a quiet peaceful town yet near enough to drive to the city (e.g. 20 min drive to Nice) and other places of interest. The hotel is just a 15 min walk (5 min by car) from the center of Vence and around 7 min drive away from St. Paul de Vence. It is a good base for people who would want to drive around the area and visit the surrounding villages. If you don´t have a car, there are local buses that can take you to the nearby villages, Nice, or the airport for only 1€ (our baby and big baby pram got to ride for free!).

Room: We had booked a duplex room which was pretty spacious even with the extra bed for our young child and a crib for our baby. The hotel had provided us with a baby crib which was in good condition (looked pretty new too). We were lucky that our private patio had a view of BOTH the hills and the Mediterranean sea!

Facilities: It was great that aside from the outdoor pool, there was an indoor pool that we could use during chillier/rainy days and after using the hamam. The only downside is that there is no separate massage room so I had to send the kids and the hubby out of the room during treatments. The garden and pool area have comfortable lounging chairs. It was so nice and relaxing to just lie down on a lounge chair under the trees and listen to the cicadas during the hot afternoons. Basically, the photos you see on the hotel website show exactly how the facilities look like - no doctored or stylized photos!

Service: All the staff (reception, restaurant, cleaners) were very friendly and attentive. They had made our stay very comfortable and offered their assistance in a number of things even before we had arrived!

Food: The food was probably the highlight of the stay! We always looked forward to dinner and it was always excellent! Lunchtime menu was a bit limited but everything on the menu was delicious. Breakfast was also pretty good, with a selection of yummy fresh breads, croissants, and sweet breads.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Nordics
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vence
La Vague de Saint Paul
#5 of 13 in Vence
Hotel Villa Roseraie
Hotel Villa Roseraie
#4 of 13 in Vence

Been to Hotel Cantemerle Spa & Restaurant? Share your experiences!