“Quiet place”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Christmas is maybe a difficult time to fill up restaurants, but this time it was very quiet at Le Vieux Couvent. The empty restaurant could mean poor service and food. But both were perfect. The delicious courses were served and the wine poured. Soon we forgot that we were the only guests on a Christmas day.

1  Thank oystein s

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have stumbled on this restaurant by chance and we were not disappointed. We had a lovely meal in a setting reminding me of somebody's dining room in a very traditional home with attentive service and at the end the chef came out to greet us. We had fish mousse in a courgette flower for appetiser which was so delicate and smooth it was a delight. Our server helpfully noticed that I was having an entree special with the same souce and suggested to switch one of the dishes to tomato based souce - it was very lovely. My special scallops were again beautifully cooked with a very nice vegetarian side. Another entree of fish was far superior to Michelin star Alain Llorca we ate in the previous evening. The veal entree was good but not exceptional. The deserts were very tender calafoutis with apricot, a medley of rasberry mini pots and a chocolate fondant. Well worth it.

1  Thank LKM09
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Owner/Chef welcomed us and showed us to our table. He is a brilliant Chef and the food was excellent, beautifully presented and served by his wife. The problem was that apart from a solitary Frenchman, we were the only customers in this quaint 16th century former seminary, located in the walls of the historic centre of Vence.

2  Thank Warkworthrotarian
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Worth it for the delicate mise en bouche and sometimes wonderfully light cuisine - sadly not always.

2  Thank MarKisGaf
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My father allegedly had a bad experience at Le Vieux Couvent many years ago, and we hesitated going there for years as a result. Parking at Torreille right down the street, we have walked past LVC many times on our way into Vence and seen lots of people in there - usually a good sign, so this year we decided to finally give it a try.

Before things really got underway they brought out their amuse bouche, which we found less than amusing. There were four different things on our plate and I joked to my date that everyone who worked in the kitchen had contributed from their lunchboxes to create the dish. There was a small sliver of pizza, artichoke puree with a piece of vafer, a slice of cream cheese tortilla wrap and a chowder of some kind eaten out of a miniature bowl with the smallest spoon I have seen in a while.

To top things off, the person who was doing the place settings had the nerve to put my date's knife and fork (which she had used to cut the aforementioned pizza sliver into two) back on the table after she had used them and placed them on the square plate that the four not-so-amusing bouches had been on - something I have rarely seen in France in all the time I have eaten out.

The starters were acceptable and I had the "funny tasting" veal that other reviewers have mentioned as my main course. My small pancakes a la Nutella left things to be desired as did my date's less than fresh macaroon.

We looked up their website after we got home and were surprised to find that the chef offers cooking classes as a side business. In a country where the raw materials are as good as they are in France, you can come up with very good dishes just by taking what you can buy at the market and serve it with little or no effort involved. We figured that maybe the chef was somewhere in the alps skiing and the sous-chef had been left along with the bare minimum of staff to run things over the holidays, at least that was the way it seemed to us, but if that was the case, it may have been better just to shut things down altogether. Needless to say it will probably be many years before we go back again.

2  Thank MNChowhound