“Outstanding Food and Presentation”
Review of Le Pigeonnier

Le Pigeonnier
Ranked #10 of 83 Restaurants in Vence
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our first night back in Vence we enjoyed an exceptional meal at Le Pigeonnier. The service was thorough if a bit flippant from the young waiters but we did not find it offensive in any way. The food was outstanding. I had a Boeuf Burgandy (Daube) with homemade dumplings and my wife the bouillabaise. Both were presented in an attractively rustic fashion in cast iron dutch ovens, piping hot and in generous portions. The flavors were distinct and memorable. The atmosphere in the open plaza was enjoyable as we had a ringside seat to observe the comings and goings of the throngs here on vacation, for the weekend etc. A definite Yes if one is in Vence!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Nice little place this. We first went here after being sworn at by the waitress in nearby Le Clemenceau. I'm happy to say how glad I was we had to swap restaurants.
We sat down and had efficient and friendly service in a lovely little square just inside the old walls.

The food is lovely and tasty, cooked with care and the presentation is great too. Care has been taken with this food, you can tell. And all this is very respectably priced.
While we all liked all the food we were served, a particular favourite was the Violet cake when it came to the desserts.

We went there a couple of times during our trip to the area and all the food was great. And during our second visit I noticed they hadn't included my after-meal coffee on my bill. I mentioned this and they said no problem - it was a present. Little touches like that mean so much to a visitor - especially when there is so much competition around

All in all - good place and popular too. At lunch, you may have to wait for a table.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We ate here by chance last Saturday and are still raving about the daube. It was the best ever. We chose 2 courses for €19.90 and were stuffed when we left. The starters of Salade Nicoise and Aubergine terrine were delicious, but it was the main course of Daube that really stole the show. Here it is flavoured with orange peel and the meat is the most tender imaginable. The portion was huge and we struggled to finish it. Our kids were recommended steak and fries for €10 and this proved to be superb value for money, proper steak(not steak hache as is standard childrens' meal elsewhere). A great restaurant with outdoor seating and friendly staff.

1  Thank duntiblaesnob
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Convenient and good. Right in the middle of downtown Vence. Great menu with daily specials. Tasty and nice portions.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Le Pigionnier has a great outdoor dining location in a popular pedestrian square in the narrow streets of the old town centre of Vence. My wife and I dined here with a small group and we had a very enjoyable dining experience. The service was good, the food was attractively presented and very good, and we loved the outdoor patio dining experience. Servings were very large, a little too large for most of us to finish. My wife had the daube of beef and it was very impressive. It is served in a large cooking pot right at the table and was delicious. It really is a signature dish as noted by other reviewers on this site. I recommend sharing as this is a very generous serving of beef! My main course of Leon supreme bream with saffron ratatouille jus was also very tasty. One negative note, the fruit salad we chose for dessert was not fresh and the charlotte in which it was served was soggy. Also the tarte tatin of rabbit was not very popular with some of our friends. Otherwise it was a very good restaurant and a good choice for a group meal.