“Before Michelin”
Review of Les Bacchanales

Les Bacchanales
Reserve with
Les Bacchanales is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 81 Restaurants in Vence
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Nice, France
“Before Michelin”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a late review and so may not offer as much value. I came just before it received a Michelin star.

I was not surprised it later received a Michelin star. The food was very creative and a couple of dishes I thought I would dislike I really enjoyed.

I did send one dish back to the kitchen for being cold but will forgive that since an excellent replacement was quickly brought.

The wine list is a little pricey but one can find something good on the lower end.

We sat by the fireplace with its roaring flames that the waiters keep well-stoked and it was lovely.

• Visited December 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Give it a miss”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Worst food I have ever experienced. Only 2 choices for each course. Starters consisted of 2 small uncooked prawns in a salty source with just a few cannellini beans. For mains again only 2 choices fish or suckling pig. I chose the pork. One small piece was dry and overcooked the other raw and full of gristle. The crackling like soft rubber bands. This was covered in very salty gravy. Totally inedible. I sent it back and had Christophe Dufau owner and head chef attend.He was very aggressive and angry that his food had been rejected. I would not accept a replacement. I asked for the cheese board but was not given a choice. All that was available was a piece of tasteless local goat's cheese served in a bell jar with herbs burning on it. Deserts presented well but again only two choices. Wine prices very high. Even though I rejected my main Dufau still charged me for it. The cost of this for 4 persons was €280. I would not recommend this restaurant if you like to have choice and well cooked food and a chef clearly on an ego trip.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Anthony B
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Food is average compared to other Michelin starred restaurants. There is a lot of style but not much substance. Save your money and your palate.

2 Thank Arundhati P
“Good atmosphere, not my kind of food”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my partner and his family. The atmosphere is great, service was good. We decided to go because of its Michelin star. It is less expensive than other starred restaurants I have eaten at but it's not cheap, and the most expensive place we ate at in the region. Not far from Vence centre.

The tiny details from the tables to the napkin rings are all lovely and there was a jazz band playing outside which was great (though hard to hear the explanations for the food at times). The chef came to our table at the start of the evening and explained the menu in very good English. He spent much of the night watching over the outside diners from the balcony.

The food itself was mainly local (even from the garden) although some things sourced from further away. Personally the food wasn't for me, it tried too hard to be fancy and different. But I suppose that's the point. If you like restaurants that try new things then this is for you, the fish sorbet is waiting...

1 Thank Jaz84
Dronningmoelle, Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is by far, the best restaurant you will find in Vence! Been there 4 times already on multiple occasions over the course of the years and i've never been dissapointed. For a michelin restaurant it is actually quite cheap compared to the quality of service and the quality of the food!
Would recommend for anyone! :) Visited it last time in july 2012.

1 Thank AlexanderBjerre93